COA meeting

  • Diana
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 5 6:14 AM
      Gosh, it's been a week and nobody has posted. That hasn't happened in
      a very long time.

      So, what happened at the meeting? Did our input matter? Sorry I had
      to go in the middle because of having such long days--need my rest.

      Hello y'all and please let's talk!
      Diana
      306 Cross
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 5 1:45 PM
        Hi Diana,

        Apologies, as I often do try to briefly unofficially
        recount the meeting, but I wasn't able to make it last
        week due to having the flu.

        I hear it was a very active meeting though, albeit
        long for everyone. I wish I could have made it.

        It has been a quiet week for sure though. I don't
        know know about everyone else, but I have just been
        totally tapped-out this week after being sick... and
        am really just now getting back into gear today.

        Some good news, the house next door to the Sakuradas
        and across from the Greens sold on Sunset, and the new
        owners have moved in. They are apparently from New
        York, military at Ft. Bragg, and are very excited
        about their new home.

        I am very excited as well, as I couldn't believe it
        took so long to sell that house as it is so neat.

        Anyway, if you have a chance, drop by and say hi to
        them.

        Cheers
        Al

        --- Diana <kidsnut@...> wrote:

        > Gosh, it's been a week and nobody has posted. That
        > hasn't happened in
        > a very long time.
        >
        > So, what happened at the meeting? Did our input
        > matter? Sorry I had
        > to go in the middle because of having such long
        > days--need my rest.
        >
        > Hello y'all and please let's talk!
        > Diana
        > 306 Cross

        The fish are biting.
      • Mike Humphrey
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 6 9:56 PM
          Ok, I will step out on a limb and try to recount the points at the last Board Meeting.  Due to the amount of COA's  the review of the Applications was about the only issues that were addressed.

          The Application for boxing in the eves on a rebuilt shed roof for the Thompson's was approved with note that future work will midagate any work not approate in the interim. I will try to explain, the shed roof was an addition done years ago.  When construction on the inside of the home found problems with the roof in an attempt to not risk damage to the home by rain, Staff approved the installation of a roof to protect the home but required a board approval before any detail construction such as eves or boxing or siding was done.  The board did approve boxing in the eves and noted this was on the back of the home and the home had boxed eves.  We did not and I do not know if the boxing was original.  The Boxing of the eves has not been done as the Thompson.s are still looking at options and are looking at how to best address the issue in a cost effective manner.  I do not recall any public commits pro or con.

          The application by Dr. Howard for installing an awning on two store fronts was approved however his application for painting the brick was denied as the guidelines prevent the board from approving any paint on bricks or windows.  I do not remember anyone speaking pro or con on the project.

          The application by Ms Howard to demo a shed that was in bad shape was approved.  This was not a historic building and was in very bad shape.  The Guidelines do not allow the board to prevent removal of a structure but can delay the demo up to 365 days.  It is to allow time to find options or to salvage materials.  Staff has documented the structure and requested any if any material be recycled.  I do not recall any public comments pro or con.

          The application for the Townhouse project was approved with several changes to the application and requests by the board.  This is a bit of a different type of application, in that this is a Conditional Approval agreed to by the Developer.  This project is something never done in our district before. (New Construction).  Everyone who spoke liked the look of the project.  Some concerns by the public were about a lattes fill piece the the Developer was willing to hear suggestions and willing to change, concern about asphalt parking area the developer agreed to use concrete in view from the street.  The guidelines do not address the uses of asphalt for drives and parking areas.  Concern was brought about the removal of a large Oak Tree was made and suggested is could be relocated.  The developer did agree if it could be moved he would give the tree to anyone who wanted it.  It was also suggested the wood could be used the developer agreed to ones agai give it to anyone.  Staff requested a Pine Tree be left in place if grading allowed and the Developer agreed to save it if possible.

          Above is an unofficial summary of the meeting.  I did not take notes and may have not addressed all points made at the meeting.  It is nice to know there is inst rest in what happens at the meetings.  I would like to find a way to post minunests form the meetings,  the difficulty is the minuets can not be published until they are approved by vote of the Board.

          Mike.

          Message 4 of 4 , Mar 7 9:43 AM
            Thanks Mike, we appreciate your taking the time to
            recount the meeting.

            As far as posting the meeting minutes, I wonder if
            they could/should be posted somewhere like the
            downtownsanford.com website once approved... albeit at
            least a month following the meeting.

            In the interim, I guess the only way one could get
            up-to-the-minute reporting is via our current
            methodology which is to post an unofficial synopsis
            here *shrug*

            Perhaps we could come to an agreement such as, if I am
            in attendance, I'll go ahead and post a quick report.
            If I can't make it to a particular meeting, maybe you
            can be the backup such as was the case a couple times?

            Oh, and BTW, do you know who I should contact about
            the tree subject in regard to the townhouse project?

            I don't know which oak tree is in question, but as
            Denise mentioned during the meeting, you may recall
            that we had to unfortunately cut down a large willow
            oak on the Gulf side of our house last Spring. We
            want to replace it, as does the COA require, but of
            course it isn't likely that we'd normally have access
            to a large mature specimen.

            So if the developer is willing ot move that tree, this
            might make for a great opportunity for the
            neighborhood to save a tree, and replace one that was
            lost.

            I'd like to contact the developer to give them our
            contact information and see what they find out, etc.

            Cheers
            Al

            --- Mike Humphrey <sanfordhistoricbunglow@...>

            Finding fabulous fares is fun.