Re: [historic-sanford-nc] Say a Final Good-bye To Holt Truck and Tractor

    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 19, 2007
      Well, not being a long time Sanford resident, I
      personally can't offer any insight into the Holt
      building beyond what I have observed driving by.

      However, beyond being a local landmark, the building
      itself seemed to be very typical of the 1950/60s
      Modern/Structuralist design in commercial buildings.

      I did observe that the building seemed to primarily be
      warehouse and repair bays, with a relatively(as
      compared to the rest of the structure) small front
      office and showroom, which would be consistent with a
      vehicle dealer.

      Although the front portion of the building definitely
      could have been rehabilitated into something very
      interesting by someone with a creative mindset, the
      rear of the building seemed unremarkable and
      structurally unsound based on my casual observation.

      The entire rear brick ell, which appeared to consist
      of service bays, had significantly separated from the
      main structure. I don't know if it was in immenent
      risk of collapse, but it obviously would have required
      substantial repair to repair and stabilize.

      I agree that it would have been ideal if someone could
      have saved the facade at the very least, and then
      added to the rear as needed for a new application for
      the structure. But I guess that just wasn't in the
      cards.

      Although many may not consider a "run of the mill
      commercial building" like the Holt building to be
      anything special, just like many old structures, I
      suspect that in years to come some may regret
      disposing of its uniqueness in exchange for another
      cookie-cutter drug store.

      But that being said, I am glad to see/hear that there
      is continued investment in that area, as that is good
      news for Sanford. Although I'm not sure how many
      mega-drug stores we need on Horner *laugh*

      I wonder if we'll see similar development on the North
      end of Horner, where there are now several motels
      already?

      Al

      --- godkins <godkins@...> wrote:

      > I am said to say the demolition of the iconic
      > International Harvester
      > building that was Holt Truck and Tractor is in
      > process. I am good
      > friends of the family of James Holt (went to school
      > w/ daughter
      > Becky). So, if anyone can add some words about the
      > design of that
      > building and post a photo from its glory days, my
      > trauma will be
      > lessoned.
      >
      > peace and love,
      > John