Townhouses on the corner of Weatherspoon and North Gulf

    Message 1 of 1 , May 30, 2006
      Last night I was speaking with some neighbors that live across the
      street from the large vacant corner lot at "5 points"(I believe that
      is the nickname for this intersection?) where Weatherspoon and North
      Gulf intersect, and we were chatting about what plans anyone had for
      that property.

      Both confirmed what I had heard, which was that a developer plans to
      build some townhouses(3-4) on the site and are in the process of
      working with the immediate neighbors and the HPC to finalize their
      plans. I had also heard that the developer seemed sensitive to the
      impact new construction would have in the context of our neighborhood,
      so I was very interested in learning the specifics of what the project
      had planned.

      One neighbor had illustrations, and they seem to be complimentary to
      the neighborhood if not a 100% match(what new construction could), and
      it looks like this project could really be very nice... certainly
      nicer than the current vacant lot.

      I personally am very excited about the potential for this development
      as it could bring some new investment and families into the area, and
      am happy to hear that the developer is working with the neighborhood
      as far as an aesthetic and functional fit.

      Of course, I'm sure there will be the expected traffic issues and
      other impact, but at least the development is slated to have
      ingress/egress on both Weatherspoon and Gulf, so traffic impact may
      not be too bad.

      It will be interesting though, and I'm excited to see how this progresses.

      If anyone has illustrations of the project they can share, please feel
      free to create a folder in the Photos section and scan them. Again,
      the elevation and site layout I saw illustrated looked pretty nice.
      They even had individual detached garages.

      Also, if anyone has more detailed information on the project,
      including timelines, that would be very interesting to learn about.

      My personal area of interest would be in the area of materials used on
      the exterior. I know they would have to conform to various guidelines
      for the district but don't know the details.