Re: Historic Signage and Plaques

  • tx_duke_fans
    Message 1 of 9 , Oct 20, 2006
      I don't know about anyone else but a bunch of us down here on the
      500 block of Summitt have been looking into plaques for our houses.
      I like the idea of entrance points into the area - wouldn't it be
      nice if they could clean up Horner...but that is another area all
      together. But I think if we want plaques for individual houses that
      would fall on each homeowner to purchase. I can't see the city of
      Sanford forking over that money..
      here are some links I have found that other historical areas use to
      order their signs..

      http://www.erielandmark.com/custom.html
      http://www.atlanticsigns.us/
      http://www.custom-mailboxes.com/porcelainplaques.html
      http://www.sewahstudios.com/product.htm

      tammy & gang
      the Jewell House
      506 Summitt Drive
      Message 2 of 9 , Oct 20, 2006
        Heh, well how-about-that!

        Which neighbor... who's door should I be a-knocking on
        then? =)

        Al

        http://mail.yahoo.com
        Message 3 of 9 , Oct 20, 2006
          Would it be safe to assume that we would want a
          consistent use/look to suggest for any house/structure
          plaques though?

          I personally am open to anything that looks the part,
          and is affordable. If I had a choice, I do have a
          personal preference for brass/bronze plaques myself
          though, but am flexible.

          Perhaps we could use something like this(standardizing
          on some plaques) as a somewhat simple grass-roots
          project for the neighborhood to test the waters for
          something more formal, like a neighborhood
          association?

          Perhaps you and I(and anyone else interested) might go
          get coffee somewhere one evening and talk about coming
          up with a standard or two, and then for those
          interested, get some plaques ordered.

          It might set a nice precedent and inspire others =)

          Now, if we just had a newsletter from the Historic
          Board or a currently non-existent Neighborhood Assoc,
          we could then publicize the suggested standard, where
          to order, etc *wink*

          I bet a lot of folks would be interested if we came up
          with an easy source and directions for how and where
          to order.

          We should talk some more about this. I think it could
          be a lot of fun.

          ...now for any neighborhood markers, we ought to ask
          about this at the next board meeting. I think it
          would be really exciting.

          Al

          --- tx_duke_fans <hebert_family@...> wrote:

          > I don't know about anyone else but a bunch of us
          > down here on the
          > 500 block of Summitt have been looking into plaques
          > for our houses.
          > I like the idea of entrance points into the area -
          > wouldn't it be
          > nice if they could clean up Horner...but that is
          > another area all
          > together. But I think if we want plaques for
          > individual houses that
          > would fall on each homeowner to purchase. I can't
          > see the city of
          > Sanford forking over that money..
          > here are some links I have found that other
          > historical areas use to
          > order their signs..
          >
          > http://www.erielandmark.com/custom.html
          > http://www.atlanticsigns.us/

          http://www.custom-mailboxes.com/porcelainplaques.html
          > http://www.sewahstudios.com/product.htm
          >
          > tammy & gang
          > the Jewell House
          > 506 Summitt Drive

          http://mail.yahoo.com
        • tx_duke_fans
          Message 4 of 9 , Oct 20, 2006
            The large green four square..Mr. David Smitherman.
            Of course he does work a lot so is very busy..
            You might call him at work - he does return calls rather well.

            Tammy