No new posts in over a year, sayonara. Time to pack up the Historic Yahoo Group

  • Al
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 29, 2011
      Back in September of 2010, I had asked if this Yahoo group had lost its relevance and if perhaps we should move it to Facebook or similar. I received five responses (which in itself was telling out of 50 members), indicating that a move to Facebook would be a good idea.

      Now that we turn the year into 2012, we haven't had any meaningful posts or activity for well over a year other than automated calendar messages and a few posts from myself. And I don't think anyone has used the tools like the contractor database or archived reference materials in some time. So I think it is time to say goodbye to this group.

      This group was created in March of 2006 as one of many efforts to bring our neighborhood together, foster a tighter community and provide an online resource for sharing ideas, knowledge and history. Specifically in the latter case, I was hopeful that this group would be a conduit for learning more about Sanford's local history and the properties we all call home.

      Unfortunately, as with many of these efforts, it has proven difficult to gather enough critical mass to make the group really self-sustaining as our community is relatively small. And with the rising popularity of blogs, MySpace and ultimately Facebook around the time of the group's creation, I think this Yahoo Group's days were numbered from the beginning.

      But I do hope that it provided some value for our neighbors and hopefully we'll get better use from our Rosemount McIver Park Neighborhood Watch Facebook group, or perhaps an actual online resource dedicated to Sanford's historic districts one day.

      In the meantime I'll keep this group available for those that may want to reach a resource that they've found valuable. But I'll disable the calendar reminders for the HPC meetings, etc. And I'll disable updating any files, messages, etc. as well. So at that point it will become a static "historic" archive versus an active group.

      Looking back at ca. 2006, and certainly for those that have been here even longer, the RMP neighborhood in particular has come a long way from both a community and property standpoint. I think we all have a lot to be proud of, and I am very excited to see what the coming years will bring.

      Thanks to everyone that contributed over the years, and have a great 2012!

      Al Roethlisberger