Happy New Year!

  • Al
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 31, 2010
      One of the few guarantees in life is change, and here we are at 2011 already! Time certainly flies!

      I had posted a poll some months back asking if this Yahoo group should just fade away and be replaced with its equivalent on something like Facebook as participation has just about dropped to zero. Well, first, the response was overwhelming that yes it appears that "Yahoo Groups" has seen its relevance fade and we should embrace the latest greatest. Second, we only had five people respond. So that says something as well.

      So, what to do....

      Well, in the meantime I think I'll leave this group around and not actually delete it, as there is some useful information in the old posts, files and photos sections.

      Then I'll give some thought as to whether to move to something like Facebook or maybe even a dedicated standalone forum. As popular as Facebook is today, and perhaps as seemingly permanent, just remember how massive and permanent MySpace seemed a couple years ago, or how irreplaceable AOL or even CompuServe was. In the end, they're all ephemeral. So we'll see. I don't relish reinventing the group every few years.

      For now, please still feel free to post questions and ideas here about our neighborhoods, historic preservation or just general conversation. Or just drop by to download some information that may be useful for your project.

      Even with the dour economic realities of the last couple years, look around our neighborhoods and you'll see loads of investment and renovations this year..... in some cases renovations of at-risk properties that the community has ached about for years if not decades. So there is some light in the tunnel, and the value of preserving and investing in historic properties remains as viable as ever.

      Happy 2011!

      Al Roethlisberger