Re: [historic-sanford-nc] Re: House numbers

    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 2, 2010

      Yes, and no.....

      The city for decades used to provide these numbers for free, and will still do so from their remaining stock.... but the city "got out of that business" some time back and the stock has not been replenished for years.  As such, the selection of numbers is dwindling for the more popular numbers.

      And much of what's left of the remaining numbers are white plastic imitation ceramic numbers.

      However, they have a bunch of the aluminum holders :)

      So if you are lucky enough to have some "unusual" numbers or numbers that the city simply had a large stock socked away, you may find what you need.  But you may not find an actual ceramic version of some.

      In my case, a previous owner threw away our old "318" ceramic numbers, and I've been on a quest to obtain one last number... which I think was "3" but I forget right now.  I picked up the other two from Woodland, but they only had the third number in plastic.

      But, Rejuvenation does sell sets of the numbers new.  I don't know how well the font matches our original tiles, but it might be worth checking into:

      http://www.rejuvenation.com/fixshow8603/templates/selection.phtml

      I've thought about buying a set and just seeing how close they are, but at ~$50 haven't decided to give it a try.  In the meantime I've just tried to keep an eye out for anyone tossing the old numbers out that might have a ceramic number I need.

      As an interesting aside, at least for downtown businesses and residences built prior to WWII, you may find that your address changed.  For example, we are now 318 Summit Drive, but prior to WWII were 412 Summit Drive.  I found a ghost of the old numbers under some paint on our entry some years ago and verified with the last surviving family member that the addresses had changed.

      Al