New member here

  • SW40boy
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 29, 2009
      My ancestors settled along the Deep River before the Revolutionary War. I am a descendant of Edward Burns and Mary Pattishall who are buried at Jones Chapel Methodist Church.

      My interests lie in the history of Lee & Chatham counties and genealogy.

      More immediately I was intrigued by a postcard that I saw in UNC Chapel Hill's North Carolina Collection

      http://dc.lib.unc.edu/cdm4/item_viewer.php?CISOROOT=/nc_post&CISOPTR=358&CISOBOX=1&REC=2

      Can anyone tell me anything about the filling station/restaurant pictured on the card?

      Regards,

      John Burns
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 29, 2009
        Hi John,

        I don't recognize the structure off-hand, but I bet someone here knows.  It may still be right in front of our eyes though, just "disguised" over the years.  You might also consider calling the Railroad House Museum here in town, which is our local historic society.  I'll keep an eye out to see if I recognize it as well.

        What a great post-card though, and what a neat resource at UNC to search for them.  We have a bunch we've bought off of eBay over the years that we plan to mount/frame one day.  They really are a great window into the past.

        Al

        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 29, 2009
          Check with Jimmy Haire - he knows all the history here.  His office is in Jonesboro and he's closed on Mondays.  office:  Haire Photography.
          beverly b

          Cell: (917) 257 - 8997
          Exhibits: (919) 777-6959/BrookshireArtist Gallery
          Studio: ArtStudio: (919) 776-6906
          Kew Gallery, (212) 688-5035 - 336 E 56th St, #1, New York, NY
          http://www.zoominfo.com/Search/PersonDetail.aspx?PersonID=895736067