Great old maps of Historic Districts and surrounding areas

  • Albert Roethlisberger
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 9, 2009
      I have been walking(electronically speaking) through the Registrar of
      Deeds books of plats and have found many interesting old maps of
      Sanford, specifically of the Rosemount McIver Park area.

      If you would like to see what I've found so far, please feel free to
      go to the "Files" section and look inside the "Old Maps of Districts"
      folder.

      Right now the maps are very Rosemount McIver Park centric, although I
      have posted some interesting maps of McCracken Heights. But as I find
      more maps of other areas such as Hawkins, Lee, and East Sanford, I'll
      post them as well.

      They really are very interesting, especially when one sees the changes
      in lot layout, as opposed to what eventually was built and developed.

      Of particular interest are the "PARK DETAIL" set, which shows some
      distinct detail of McIver Park itself, including walkways and what
      appear to be bridges. That is a very exciting discovery, and one the
      city/community could use as roadmap for finally realizing the original
      design of the park.

      Also of interest is that the current Lee County Service building,
      formerly the hospital, is built on "Park Avenue" where there
      originally were to be houses. Wouldn't that have been interesting to
      have homes overlooking Dry Creek and the park?

      Cheers,