Re: July HP and Appearance Board Meeting

  • tx_duke_fans
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 27 5:03 AM
      Well thank goodness they are FINALLY separating the appearance and
      historic boards. I mean it has been in their city ordinances since
      day one (about 10 years) that it is illegal to have both boards act
      as one and according to the city it is not allowed to sit on two
      boards.. We have only requested this action for over 3 years. Some
      of us have been in talks with others in the city to push separating
      the downtown sandford inc from the residential portion also as
      conflict of interests have sprung up - the bank to name a recent
      issue and also to provide a director that can give each section it's
      100%. The two areas are so totally distinct in their needs it seems
      only right.

      Glad you went Al, the ideas they came up with sound okay. But I'd
      much rather see some guideline enforcement being done than
      some "pretty" signs saying who pays to have their yards landscaped.
      Maybe if the block captains got out and walked their respective
      blocks and introduced themselves to their residents they could also
      notice all the guideline infractions being done.

      AS for get togethers our "Park" area has had them for some time and
      we are all very close here. I'd recommend it to all the other
      blocks. There is alot of work to be done on these committees and I
      would say that trying to get back resident "trust and respect" is
      going to be the toughest for them to overcome. Good luck as I am
      one that you need to woo back over - been burned too many times.
      But I am open to see change - drastic change would be nice.

      tammy hebert
    • Houseat305@aol.com
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 29 8:24 AM

        Neighbors:

        The board we serve on is called Sanford Historic Preservation and Appearance Commission, ONE BOARD. As you pointed out this was set up by city council over ten years ago. We on the SHP&A asked to separate the two boards with the work being done with county codes and overlays of corridors. We hope the Appearance Commission will be given 'teeth' of enforcement rather than as an advisory body as is the case now.

        Both boards will need volunteers to be representatives for their neighborhood......why not make your request to city hall NOW.

        Ken Laughinghouse
        Chariman SHC
      • tx_duke_fans
        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 29 6:17 PM
          Sorry to point out this but you are mistaken. Yes you call the
          board one but it was not set up that way. In the UDO and the city
          ordinaces that set up the boards they were to be two different
          boards. The city has known this was not in compliance for a long
          time and has done nothing to fix it. David Montgomery has known it
          was being done wrong for some time also as many of us brought it to
          his attention during the bank fiasco (and months before that also).
          The North Carolina Historic Office also informed members of the city
          government that the boards could not be run as one. The State
          attorney also informed them it was out of compliance. And if you
          look up the boards on the city web page it states that there are two
          boards but that the same members sit on both. That in itself is
          against city ordinances. If people would just read the ordinances
          which by the way are easy to read they'd know the rules, they'd know
          the duties of the various jobs. Yes the city council has decided to
          finally do something that should have been done from the get
          go..doing things right from the beginning makes it easier all the
          way around. I am not trying to be difficult but am having a hard
          time with the constant changing of stories depending on who you talk
          to.
          I still have a problem with the way the historic board is layed out.
          Why do you have people on there who don't have to follow the
          guidelines telling those of us here what to do.? Just a question?
          Why doesn't Hawkins have it's own guidelines to follow? Why is
          Jeremy Hathcock allowed to be on the board? He is a renter - he
          doesn't even pay a mortgage or taxes. I pay taxes to the city and
          county on my historic house. I pay a big water bill to water my
          lawn and keep it looking green but because I am married to a miltary
          member and we are keeping out Texas residence until we are sure they
          wont' move us again ( we have plans to stay and retire here but the
          military sometimes doesn't agree ) Why am I denied the right to be
          on the board. It is a severe slap in the face and an insult to live
          in the neighborhood and I can't be on the board governing it but 6
          people who don't live here can. Explain that please.
          Yes I am a thorn in the side of David Montgomery's office I am sure
          but when things are wrong I don't sit by - guess that is the Yankee
          in me. Not as laid back as the south.

          Yes we need more volunteers to fill board positions..how is it going
          to be separated? I kinda find it funny that the city council
          decided to only appoint one resident again and to put a person back
          on who doesn't live here but owns a house in the district that was
          on the city's condemmed list..ironic huh?

          tammy hebert
          resident/owner in Rosemont-McIver who knows the rules