July HP and Appearance Board Meeting

    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 26, 2006
      Last Monday night(7/24) the monthly Historic Preservation and
      Appearance Boards met for their monthly joint meeting. There were
      enough(all?) board members present, so the meeting could proceed with
      the business at hand.

      I was the only guest in attendance, but I unfortunately missed the
      first 20 minutes though.

      Although my notes should not be misconstrued as official meeting
      minutes, the following were some highlights.

      Apparently during the first few minutes of the HP board portion two
      items near-and-dear to my heart were covered while I was tardy.

      First, it was apparently agreed to adopt my suggestion about using
      websites such as www.presnc.org to help advertise and promote historic
      properties for sale in our neighborhoods. Presnc.org actually
      provides one free ad for local historic boards to advertise, and it
      was agreed in the meeting to take advantage of this immediately. The
      first home selected for posting was the Poe house at the corner of
      Weatherspoon and Horner, which I think is an excellent candidate.

      Also, the board may present this idea to the local board of Realtors
      to see if they may like to partner in featuring more local historic
      homes and share the costs of additional ads. I think this is great
      news as it will really expand the audience of potential buyers that
      have a specific interest in older homes that otherwise may not be
      aware of what Sanford has to offer. Plus it may help move some of the
      properties that have been on the market for quite some time.

      If you have never browsed the Presnc.org website, please take a moment
      to do so at your leisure. It is very interesting to see all the NC
      properties and other information available: http://www.presnc.org/

      Second, as I walked into the meeting, the board was discussing how to
      proceed in producing a regular newsletter for the neighborhoods and
      setting up a neighborhood get together. Details weren't settled, but
      the board was very excited about putting together a neighborhood BBQ
      or other type of activity to build a new rapport with the residents,
      and moving ahead with a regular publication to share news, tips, etc
      with the neighborhoods. Hopefully we'll hear more about these efforts
      in the near future as details are settled.

      At one point it was also suggested that regular awards for "most
      improved property", or "best landscaping" plaques might be good to
      implement for the neighborhoods.

      Also, general issues such as reviewing several approved and open COA's
      were reviewed, and feedback from residents on a variety of issues was
      discussed with a definite attitude toward positive resolution and
      improvements the boards can make.

      I think this portion of the meeting is particularly interesting, as it
      provides a great deal of insight into what is happening in the
      neighborhood, and an opportunity for guests to inquire into the
      process or gather more information on a topic.

      Also discussed was the coming separation of the Historic Preservation
      and Appearance Boards into distinct bodies. No specific date has been
      set, but this is a goal of the near future. Several members of the
      current joint board offered their interest in specifically sitting on
      the new Appearance Board once it is established. Over time, I'm sure
      we'll learn more about the specific purview each board will have, and
      how the neighborhoods will interact.

      One aspect that seemed clear though was that the Appearance Board
      would be much more widely focused on city-wide "appearance" issues and
      recommendations, where the Historic Preservation Board would then be
      able to focus more on the preservation specifics of the local historic
      neighborhoods.

      This news sounded very positive, as many examples of opportunities and
      challenges around "appearance" issues were discussed. This discussion
      made clear that the members of the board were acutely aware of many
      issues residents have of a non historic preservation nature that still
      affect appearance and impact property value and quality of life.

      Also discussed were challenges with cut-through traffic on North Gulf,
      and on-street parking. No decisions were made, but it was discussed
      to investigate additional stop signs, reduced posted speed limits, and
      possible installation of speed bumps to discourage non resident
      traffic. It was pointed out that this is definitely an area where
      community involvement can pay off, as the city often looks to the
      residents to make these recommendations.

      I'm quite certain there were other important topics covered, but it's
      been a long day, and that's what I recall off-hand... so that'll have
      to do *laugh*

      I would really encourage anyone to come attend these meetings at least
      occasionally, as they are very informative. And it may provide you an
      opportunity to contribute an opinion as well.

      Cheers
      Al
    • tx_duke_fans
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 27, 2006
        Well thank goodness they are FINALLY separating the appearance and
        historic boards. I mean it has been in their city ordinances since
        day one (about 10 years) that it is illegal to have both boards act
        as one and according to the city it is not allowed to sit on two
        boards.. We have only requested this action for over 3 years. Some
        of us have been in talks with others in the city to push separating
        the downtown sandford inc from the residential portion also as
        conflict of interests have sprung up - the bank to name a recent
        issue and also to provide a director that can give each section it's
        100%. The two areas are so totally distinct in their needs it seems
        only right.

        Glad you went Al, the ideas they came up with sound okay. But I'd
        much rather see some guideline enforcement being done than
        some "pretty" signs saying who pays to have their yards landscaped.
        Maybe if the block captains got out and walked their respective
        blocks and introduced themselves to their residents they could also
        notice all the guideline infractions being done.

        AS for get togethers our "Park" area has had them for some time and
        we are all very close here. I'd recommend it to all the other
        blocks. There is alot of work to be done on these committees and I
        would say that trying to get back resident "trust and respect" is
        going to be the toughest for them to overcome. Good luck as I am
        one that you need to woo back over - been burned too many times.
        But I am open to see change - drastic change would be nice.

        tammy hebert
      • Houseat305@aol.com
        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 29, 2006

          Neighbors:

          The board we serve on is called Sanford Historic Preservation and Appearance Commission, ONE BOARD. As you pointed out this was set up by city council over ten years ago. We on the SHP&A asked to separate the two boards with the work being done with county codes and overlays of corridors. We hope the Appearance Commission will be given 'teeth' of enforcement rather than as an advisory body as is the case now.

          Both boards will need volunteers to be representatives for their neighborhood......why not make your request to city hall NOW.

          Ken Laughinghouse
          Chariman SHC
        • tx_duke_fans
          Message 4 of 4 , Jul 29, 2006
            Sorry to point out this but you are mistaken. Yes you call the
            board one but it was not set up that way. In the UDO and the city
            ordinaces that set up the boards they were to be two different
            boards. The city has known this was not in compliance for a long
            time and has done nothing to fix it. David Montgomery has known it
            was being done wrong for some time also as many of us brought it to
            his attention during the bank fiasco (and months before that also).
            The North Carolina Historic Office also informed members of the city
            government that the boards could not be run as one. The State
            attorney also informed them it was out of compliance. And if you
            look up the boards on the city web page it states that there are two
            boards but that the same members sit on both. That in itself is
            against city ordinances. If people would just read the ordinances
            which by the way are easy to read they'd know the rules, they'd know
            the duties of the various jobs. Yes the city council has decided to
            finally do something that should have been done from the get
            go..doing things right from the beginning makes it easier all the
            way around. I am not trying to be difficult but am having a hard
            time with the constant changing of stories depending on who you talk
            to.
            I still have a problem with the way the historic board is layed out.
            Why do you have people on there who don't have to follow the
            guidelines telling those of us here what to do.? Just a question?
            Why doesn't Hawkins have it's own guidelines to follow? Why is
            Jeremy Hathcock allowed to be on the board? He is a renter - he
            doesn't even pay a mortgage or taxes. I pay taxes to the city and
            county on my historic house. I pay a big water bill to water my
            lawn and keep it looking green but because I am married to a miltary
            member and we are keeping out Texas residence until we are sure they
            wont' move us again ( we have plans to stay and retire here but the
            military sometimes doesn't agree ) Why am I denied the right to be
            on the board. It is a severe slap in the face and an insult to live
            in the neighborhood and I can't be on the board governing it but 6
            people who don't live here can. Explain that please.
            Yes I am a thorn in the side of David Montgomery's office I am sure
            but when things are wrong I don't sit by - guess that is the Yankee
            in me. Not as laid back as the south.

            Yes we need more volunteers to fill board positions..how is it going
            to be separated? I kinda find it funny that the city council
            decided to only appoint one resident again and to put a person back
            on who doesn't live here but owns a house in the district that was
            on the city's condemmed list..ironic huh?

            tammy hebert
            resident/owner in Rosemont-McIver who knows the rules