Re: [historic-sanford-nc] car repair

    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 16, 2008
      Oh my goodness, that is awful, and I'm very sorry to
      hear about this.

      I don't know NC law, but in some states, there is law
      to protect the consumer from this very problem where
      shops misrepresent repair estimates and hold consumers

      In some states the shop can not legally begin to work
      until a written estimate and work order has been
      prepared and signed by both parties. This of course
      protects the shop and customer.

      You may want to check with an attorney, or perhaps one
      of our neighbors on this list is an attorney, and can
      offer some advice.

      I'm very sorry to hear that this happened April.

      We could always get folks together to picket the shop,
      have the community call and let them know how we feel,
      or run a couple full page Herald ads =P

      We've got a similar problem with a stove vendor out of
      Kansas that has dragged on for a year, and are about
      to file with the Kansas Attorney General's office by
      the end of the month if there is no resolution. And
      the same vendor has treated many other customers

      Considering how hard it often is for small businesses
      to survive and prosper, it befuddles me how these
      businesses can treat their customers so badly and do
      such poor work... and remain in business.

      Perhaps it is our duty to stand up and push back to
      protect others. I'm already pretty steamed about our
      stove saga, so maybe this offers an opportunity to
      "vent" *laugh*

      I'm going to have to think on this...

      Be a better friend, newshound, and