Teardowns Redux was Modern Architecture

    Message 1 of 23 , Jan 15, 2008
      So, checking out the link April provided, I see that
      the site has a link to download the compete "After the
      Dust Settles" feature that I had been planning to show
      our neighborhood at a later date.

      Although it would still be fun to view the film as a
      group, I would encourage anyone concerned about
      teardowns and interested in mid-century architecture
      to take a few minutes to download and watch the video.

      Here is the link to the video:

      http://www.trianglemodernisthouses.com/After%20the%20Dust%20Settles.wmv

      I think you will find it both moving and provocative.

      The City of Sanford, and other cities without a "plan"
      on how to deal with these cases, should take note of
      this cautionary tale. It can happen anywhere.

      Be a better friend, newshound, and
    • b brookshire
      Message 2 of 23 , Jan 19, 2008
        The simple answer is that our town and N.C. doesn't really care about pedestrians - they don't think we vote.  They think - in the past about pedestrians:  no one walks or cares to.

        They know their voter-blocks.  and, we aren't one of them.
        bb

        Al Roethlisberger <al_roethlisberger@...> wrote:

        Heh,

        I'm glad to see the subject of sidewalks sparked some
        discussion, albeit on a slight tangent =)

        This issue of crosswalks across Horner is obviously
        one that interests a lot of citizens, and seems to
        come up quite frequently. As Tammy and Dana have
        mentioned, several have already written letters
        personally and from our neighborhoods.

        I agree that this seems like a "no brainer" to me, and
        continue to find it odd that no cross walks exist for
        Horner.

        While I understand that the city has little direct
        influence since Horner is a state highway, I frankly
        find this excuse to be a bit of a dodge.

        I can't believe that if the city leadership really
        wanted to call in some favors or even "persuade", that
        we couldn't get a simple cross walk for Carthage and
        Wicker. We've already got traffic signals, so it
        isn't as if the cross walk will introduce significant
        new delays.

        And if the excuse is that DOT is concerned about
        risking pedestrian safety, this also is disingenuous,
        as the pedestrian traffic already exists. Like the
        old maxim: "What's it going to take, someone getting
        killed?"

        Of course, I know I'm preaching to the choir, but I
        agree that Sanford needs some leadership on this
        issue. And if it really is a DOT responsibility, it
        should be even more attractive, as it could likely be
        little expense to the city beyond politicking.

        Other cities have State "highways" running through
        city centers, and they have cross walks or pedestrian
        bridges. What's more important, saving a buck to
        shave a few seconds off a chicken truck's shipment, or
        a pedestrian's life?

        So who's going to organize the petition and mass
        sit-in at City Council? =P

        .

        Cell: (917) 257 - 8997
        Exhibits: (919) 777-6959/BrookshireArtist Gallery
        Shops of Steele Street, 102 S. Steele Street, Sanford, NC 27330
        Kew Gallery, 1010 - 1st Ave, NYC 10022
        Studio: ArtStudio: (919) 776-6906
      • b brookshire
        Message 3 of 23 , Jan 20, 2008
          Contemporary Architecture - April that's just fine with me.  There are all kinds of ways to be historic.  Thank you for sending us that site.

          In all the architectural classes I had, "historic" was defined as something ( a building ) that makes history.  It doesn't have to be old.
          For example the Guggenheim  was historic ( made history ) when it opened (designed by Frank Lloyd Wright ), as well as the pyramid addition at the Louvre ( by I.M. Pei ).  There are all kinds of ways to call something an historic building..
          I see the site uses "modernist" rather than "modern".  Just like the 2 sites I mentioned above - a modernist building is more a work of art than just a plain modern building ( that's another way to be historic )

          When contemporary architecture makes history, some people refer to it as "classic" ( if it's an example to which one can aspire ).

          If it had to be old to be historic - someone would need to answer:
               How old is old?
               How many years has it existed?
          I don't really expect anyone to answer - I'm just throwing it out there for self reflection.

          talk to y'all later, beverly b

          April <amontgomery@...> wrote:
          I wanted to share this cool and relatively new website on regional architecture: www.trianglemoderni sthouses. com
          Now, I recognize that this is the “historic” group list-serve and many will argue that these buildings are not historic.  But, I believe that people like old neighborhoods for, generally, one of two reasons: (1) you yearn for what life was like in the good old days and living in a historic setting (sans prostitutes and drug busts) gives you a piece of that; (2) you appreciate the architecture and quality of building construction that is largely absent from today’s subdivisions.  If you fall into the latter, like me, I encourage you to follow the link and enjoy the truly revolutionary and just plain cool things that were being built in the triangle in the mid-20th century.
          If you do check it out be sure to follow the links for William C. Correll who designed the house on the corner of Carbonton and Carr, which is featured on the website; and Eduardo Catalano an internationally recognized architect who had one of his early works demolished in Raleigh a few years ago.  A similar house remains in CT and is featured with interior photos - really, really cool.
          April Montgomery, AICP
          Preservation Planner and Principal
          Circa, Inc.
          919.834.4757
          919.834.4756 (f)
          919.219.1530 (m)
          P.O. Box 28365
          Raleigh, NC 27611
          .

          Message 4 of 23 , Jan 20, 2008
            Hi Dana,

            Maybe we should start a partition.

            bb

            Dana Atkins <dwaphotography@...> wrote:
            Okay, sorry, didn’t read the other 3 emails that had come after beverly’s until after I wrote mine :)  sorry for the repetition!

            On 1/15/08 8:19 AM, "Dana Atkins" <dwaphotography@ alltel.net> wrote:

            Just as an FYI...I wrote a letter to DSI and the city last year discussing the need for a crosswalk at our busiest intersection and one that many people cross every day.  Both at Wicker and Carthage Streets.  I think it was forwarded on to the DOT with a request, but since this is a state-maintained road, the city has little control.  They can just ask.  So, maybe if more letters were sent, the DOT would see that there is a true need.

            dana

            On 1/14/08 8:43 PM, "b brookshire" <brookshireartist@ yahoo.com> wrote:

            Could you also ask for a cross walk to get across Horner Blvd. at Chatham
            St.

            I moved to the hisoric district so I could walk to my studio and gallery.  but I can't get across the road - so I can't walk there ,

            bb

            Al Roethlisberger <al_roethlisberger@ yahoo.com> wrote:

            All,

            You may have noticed my son and I walking the neighborhood this last
            Sunday, clipboard in hand, taking a close look at our sidewalks and curbs.

            What I was up to was surveying the Rosemount McIver Park sidewalks and
            curbs, and making some notes that we hope to pass on to the city on
            the condition of our sidewalk infrastructure.

            The long term goal is to help the city identify problem areas, and get
            them repaired.

            My effort will likely not catch every little blemish or crack, but I
            did try to note any significant damage that either could cause a
            safety hazard or structural risk. And in some cases, I tried to note
            a condition that might only be an aesthetic issue, but was severe.

            I'll be compiling that survey information this week in preparation to
            present to the city through our Historic Preservation Commission ad
            hoc Safety & Security Committee.

            But before completing that report, I thought I'd ask the community
            here as well to report on any significant sidewalk issues you would
            like to share.

            What I am looking for are significant tripping hazards such as
            heaving, depressions, or cracked/missing portions of walk. Also,
            significant sections of severely broken up and cracked walk or curbing
            will be passed on to the city as well even if it hasn't heaved yet.

            So if you have a section of sidewalk that you would like me to include
            in the report, please feel free to let me know. Just note the
            problem(cracked, heaving, depression - moderate or severe) with the
            address/location.

            It is possible I may already have noted the section in mind, but
            there's no harm in bringing it to my attention.

            Following this report, we hope to engage with the city to repair these
            problem sections over time, but budget and schedules will of course
            dictate their response.

            But we hope to employ the "squeaky wheel" principle by bringing it to
            the city's attention during their budget cycle.

            Thanks!
            Al

            PAINTINGS <http://pg.photos. yahoo.com/ ph/brookshireart ist/my_photos> :   http://www.sanforda rtists.com/ Beverly_gallery. htm <http://photos. yahoo.com/ brookshireartist>