Re: [historic-sanford-nc] Modern Architecture

    Message 1 of 23 , Jan 15, 2008
      Ah yes, the "other Lewis D. Isenhour House" =P

      We've had an indirect invite to go by and visit for
      quite some time, but haven't yet capitalized on it.
      We even bought an old post card that features the
      house as a gift to barter our way in! It still hangs
      on our refrigerator.

      I saw in some publication(perhaps Pezzoni) that some
      of the original interior treatments had been remodeled
      though. If so, depending on the degree, that is too
      bad as one of the most interesting features of many of
      these architect designed homes was the completely
      integrated solution they presented, inside and out.

      One of my first brushes with modern architecture came
      after moving to Winter Park, FL in the early 1980s.
      We lived across the street from 3 or 4 mid-century
      moderns, that were built as projects by a team of
      students that had studied with Wright. The influence
      was obvious, and the houses were all very unique and
      intriguing.

      Ironically, one thing that some of these homes have in
      common with other styles such as a stick Victorian:
      some have many complex details that are labor and
      material intensive to maintain and restore.

      Many often equate modern homes with spartan details,
      but not all were.

      I recall one of the houses in Winter Park had it's
      entire facade covered with 1x2" vertical slats that
      screened all the front windows. Over 50 years, I can
      imagine that treatment was a bear to maintain.

      Al

      http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs
      Message 2 of 23 , Jan 15, 2008
        So, checking out the link April provided, I see that
        the site has a link to download the compete "After the
        Dust Settles" feature that I had been planning to show
        our neighborhood at a later date.

        Although it would still be fun to view the film as a
        group, I would encourage anyone concerned about
        teardowns and interested in mid-century architecture
        to take a few minutes to download and watch the video.

        Here is the link to the video:

        http://www.trianglemodernisthouses.com/After%20the%20Dust%20Settles.wmv

        I think you will find it both moving and provocative.

        The City of Sanford, and other cities without a "plan"
        on how to deal with these cases, should take note of
        this cautionary tale. It can happen anywhere.

        Be a better friend, newshound, and
      • b brookshire
        Message 3 of 23 , Jan 19, 2008
          The simple answer is that our town and N.C. doesn't really care about pedestrians - they don't think we vote.  They think - in the past about pedestrians:  no one walks or cares to.

          They know their voter-blocks.  and, we aren't one of them.
          bb

          Al Roethlisberger <al_roethlisberger@...> wrote:

          Heh,

          I'm glad to see the subject of sidewalks sparked some
          discussion, albeit on a slight tangent =)

          This issue of crosswalks across Horner is obviously
          one that interests a lot of citizens, and seems to
          come up quite frequently. As Tammy and Dana have
          mentioned, several have already written letters
          personally and from our neighborhoods.

          I agree that this seems like a "no brainer" to me, and
          continue to find it odd that no cross walks exist for
          Horner.

          While I understand that the city has little direct
          influence since Horner is a state highway, I frankly
          find this excuse to be a bit of a dodge.

          I can't believe that if the city leadership really
          wanted to call in some favors or even "persuade", that
          we couldn't get a simple cross walk for Carthage and
          Wicker. We've already got traffic signals, so it
          isn't as if the cross walk will introduce significant
          new delays.

          And if the excuse is that DOT is concerned about
          risking pedestrian safety, this also is disingenuous,
          as the pedestrian traffic already exists. Like the
          old maxim: "What's it going to take, someone getting
          killed?"

          Of course, I know I'm preaching to the choir, but I
          agree that Sanford needs some leadership on this
          issue. And if it really is a DOT responsibility, it
          should be even more attractive, as it could likely be
          little expense to the city beyond politicking.

          Other cities have State "highways" running through
          city centers, and they have cross walks or pedestrian
          bridges. What's more important, saving a buck to
          shave a few seconds off a chicken truck's shipment, or
          a pedestrian's life?

          So who's going to organize the petition and mass
          sit-in at City Council? =P

          .

          Cell: (917) 257 - 8997
          Exhibits: (919) 777-6959/BrookshireArtist Gallery
          Shops of Steele Street, 102 S. Steele Street, Sanford, NC 27330
          Kew Gallery, 1010 - 1st Ave, NYC 10022
          Studio: ArtStudio: (919) 776-6906
        • b brookshire
          Message 4 of 23 , Jan 20, 2008
            Contemporary Architecture - April that's just fine with me.  There are all kinds of ways to be historic.  Thank you for sending us that site.

            In all the architectural classes I had, "historic" was defined as something ( a building ) that makes history.  It doesn't have to be old.
            For example the Guggenheim  was historic ( made history ) when it opened (designed by Frank Lloyd Wright ), as well as the pyramid addition at the Louvre ( by I.M. Pei ).  There are all kinds of ways to call something an historic building..
            I see the site uses "modernist" rather than "modern".  Just like the 2 sites I mentioned above - a modernist building is more a work of art than just a plain modern building ( that's another way to be historic )

            When contemporary architecture makes history, some people refer to it as "classic" ( if it's an example to which one can aspire ).

            If it had to be old to be historic - someone would need to answer:
                 How old is old?
                 How many years has it existed?
            I don't really expect anyone to answer - I'm just throwing it out there for self reflection.

            talk to y'all later, beverly b

            Message 5 of 23 , Jan 20, 2008
              Hi Dana,

              Maybe we should start a partition.

              bb

              Dana Atkins <dwaphotography@...> wrote:
              Okay, sorry, didn’t read the other 3 emails that had come after beverly’s until after I wrote mine :)  sorry for the repetition!

              On 1/15/08 8:19 AM, "Dana Atkins" <dwaphotography@ alltel.net> wrote:

              Just as an FYI...I wrote a letter to DSI and the city last year discussing the need for a crosswalk at our busiest intersection and one that many people cross every day.  Both at Wicker and Carthage Streets.  I think it was forwarded on to the DOT with a request, but since this is a state-maintained road, the city has little control.  They can just ask.  So, maybe if more letters were sent, the DOT would see that there is a true need.

              dana

              On 1/14/08 8:43 PM, "b brookshire" <brookshireartist@ yahoo.com> wrote:

              Could you also ask for a cross walk to get across Horner Blvd. at Chatham
              St.

              I moved to the hisoric district so I could walk to my studio and gallery.  but I can't get across the road - so I can't walk there ,

              bb

              Al Roethlisberger <al_roethlisberger@ yahoo.com> wrote:

              All,

              You may have noticed my son and I walking the neighborhood this last
              Sunday, clipboard in hand, taking a close look at our sidewalks and curbs.

              What I was up to was surveying the Rosemount McIver Park sidewalks and
              curbs, and making some notes that we hope to pass on to the city on
              the condition of our sidewalk infrastructure.

              The long term goal is to help the city identify problem areas, and get
              them repaired.

              My effort will likely not catch every little blemish or crack, but I
              did try to note any significant damage that either could cause a
              safety hazard or structural risk. And in some cases, I tried to note
              a condition that might only be an aesthetic issue, but was severe.

              I'll be compiling that survey information this week in preparation to
              present to the city through our Historic Preservation Commission ad
              hoc Safety & Security Committee.

              But before completing that report, I thought I'd ask the community
              here as well to report on any significant sidewalk issues you would
              like to share.

              What I am looking for are significant tripping hazards such as
              heaving, depressions, or cracked/missing portions of walk. Also,
              significant sections of severely broken up and cracked walk or curbing
              will be passed on to the city as well even if it hasn't heaved yet.

              So if you have a section of sidewalk that you would like me to include
              in the report, please feel free to let me know. Just note the
              problem(cracked, heaving, depression - moderate or severe) with the
              address/location.

              It is possible I may already have noted the section in mind, but
              there's no harm in bringing it to my attention.

              Following this report, we hope to engage with the city to repair these
              problem sections over time, but budget and schedules will of course
              dictate their response.

              But we hope to employ the "squeaky wheel" principle by bringing it to
              the city's attention during their budget cycle.

              Thanks!
              Al

              PAINTINGS <http://pg.photos. yahoo.com/ ph/brookshireart ist/my_photos> :   http://www.sanforda rtists.com/ Beverly_gallery. htm <http://photos. yahoo.com/ brookshireartist>