Re: [histfict] Cheryl's post

  • Brenda
    Message 1 of 20 , Mar 1, 2005
      I just finished The Queen's Man last night and I'm going to read Cadfael starting today! My husband's grandma loved them and wanted me to read them so I'm really excited to start it.

      Karoline
      cravente <cravente@...> wrote:

      I'm also a Cadfael fan....actually I tell a lie. I'm a Hugh Berenger fan <vbg>
      Best
      Susan :-)
      http://www.elizabethchadwick.com

      Susan
      I agree absolutely about Hugh.

      Sue Craven

      Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

    • deannakay_1
      Message 2 of 20 , Mar 19, 2005
        --- In histfict@yahoogroups.com, "Susan Hicks" <Susan.Hicks1@b...> wrote:
        > I've just discovered Bernard Cornwell and really enjoyed the first in
        > his Grail Chronicles series, The Archer's Tale. (Or if you're in the
        > UK, I think it was called Harlequin.)
        >
        > Yes, I've thoroughly enjoyed this series of his. Also read
        Gallows Thief (I think that was the title) last year and thought it
        was excellent too. I'm not so struck on his King Arthur trilogy but a
        lot of readers think it's fantastic.
        > I'm also a big fan of historical mysteries and am in the midst of
        > (and enjoying very much!) Peter Tremayne's Sister Fidelma series,

        Have you tried any books by Michael Jecks ? He has a good series on
        Medieval murder mysteries . http://www.michaeljecks.co.uk/ .. they
        always keep me guessing until the end.

        I'm just into Bernard Cornwell's Arthur, and I don't find it as
        engaging as his Grail Quest series, so far. I agree, Gallow's Theif
        was good, and had hoped he would have started a series on that one.

        DeAnna
      • Cheryl
        Message 3 of 20 , Mar 19, 2005
          --- In histfict@yahoogroups.com, "deannakay_1" <deannakay_1@y...>
          wrote:

          > Have you tried any books by Michael Jecks ? He has a good series on
          > Medieval murder mysteries . http://www.michaeljecks.co.uk/ .. they
          > always keep me guessing until the end.

          I've read one of them, thinking I would love it, but something about
          the writing style was rather off-putting to me and I found myself
          having to slog through it. I thought it was well-written and (as far
          as I know, which admittedly isn't far) historically accurate enough,
          but I didn't....enjoy it, I guess. I haven't gone back to revisit the
          series but I probably will at some point because I usually do give an
          author second chances. I found the same problem with Margaret
          Frazer's Dame Frevisse series. On paper, it's right up my alley and I
          should've enjoyed it, but in practicality I found it difficult to
          read. Just goes to show you never know if you'll like something til
          you actually get into one of the books.

          > I'm just into Bernard Cornwell's Arthur, and I don't find it as
          > engaging as his Grail Quest series, so far. I agree, Gallow's Theif
          > was good, and had hoped he would have started a series on that one.
          >
          > DeAnna

          I still have the third one in the Grail series to finish before I
          move on to more of his stuff. I don't think I'll investigate the
          Sharpe books too much as the 'war' aspects of books are not a big
          interest of mine...don't mind bits of it included incidentally but
          not keen on having it the main focus of a book.

          Recently I've been dipping into some new-to-me historical mystery
          series, Bruce Alexander's Sir John Fielding and TF Banks' Henry
          Morton books, which are from roughly the same time period, 1815-20's
          London featuring the Bow Street Runners. I enjoyed both forays there
          very much which surprised me a bit, as I do tend to prefer medieval
          stuff.

          I have a nice pile of historical mysteries on my TBR shelves... The
          second in Alan Gordon's "Feste the Fool" series, Dragon's Lair
          (Justin de Quincy series) by Sharon Kay Penman, Candace Robb's "A
          Gift of Sanctuary" (Owen Archer), and several of Peter Tremayne's
          Sister Fidelma series. I just have too much good stuff to choose from!

          Right now I'm reading Clan of the Cave Bear...super-ancient
          history/fantasy...and a series I've been meaning to start for years
          now.

          Cheryl
        • deannakay_1
          Message 4 of 20 , Mar 19, 2005
            --- In histfict@yahoogroups.com, "Cheryl" <book_lumbricus@y...> wrote:

            > --- In histfict@yahoogroups.com, "deannakay_1" <deannakay_1@y...>
            > wrote:
            >
            > I've read one of them, thinking I would love it, but something about
            > the writing style was rather off-putting to me and I found myself
            > having to slog through it. I thought it was well-written and (as far
            > as I know, which admittedly isn't far) historically accurate enough,
            > but I didn't....enjoy it, I guess. I haven't gone back to revisit the
            > series but I probably will at some point because I usually do give an
            > author second chances. I found the same problem with Margaret
            > Frazer's Dame Frevisse series. On paper, it's right up my alley and I
            > should've enjoyed it, but in practicality I found it difficult to
            > read. Just goes to show you never know if you'll like something til
            > you actually get into one of the books.

            True..it took me a while to get into Dorothy Dunnetts books, but they
            are a good read.

            > I still have the third one in the Grail series to finish before I
            > move on to more of his stuff. I don't think I'll investigate the
            > Sharpe books too much as the 'war' aspects of books are not a big
            > interest of mine...don't mind bits of it included incidentally but
            > not keen on having it the main focus of a book.

            I have read most of the older Sharpe books.. and though very graphic
            in detail of the gore..they have a good story line as well. Have seen
            a few of the Sean Bean portrayals of the Sharpe series, but wasn't
            impressed. The books were better, imho. Growing up watching war and
            action flicks with my dad must have desensitized me a bit. Even though
            in real life I can't stand the sight of blood!

            > Recently I've been dipping into some new-to-me historical mystery
            > series, Bruce Alexander's Sir John Fielding and TF Banks' Henry
            > Morton books, which are from roughly the same time period, 1815-20's
            > London featuring the Bow Street Runners. I enjoyed both forays there
            > very much which surprised me a bit, as I do tend to prefer medieval
            > stuff.
            >
            > I have a nice pile of historical mysteries on my TBR shelves... The
            > second in Alan Gordon's "Feste the Fool" series, Dragon's Lair
            > (Justin de Quincy series) by Sharon Kay Penman, Candace Robb's "A
            > Gift of Sanctuary" (Owen Archer), and several of Peter Tremayne's
            > Sister Fidelma series. I just have too much good stuff to choose from!

            I haven't heard of nor read any of those.. but there is always time to
            look up new authors at the library!

            > Right now I'm reading Clan of the Cave Bear...super-ancient
            > history/fantasy...and a series I've been meaning to start for years
            > now.
            >
            > Cheryl

            I really liked the Clan of the Cave bear..and the two books following
            it weren't bad... but the last two lost something, and were harder to
            read. Though stick with Clan..it's the best of the series by
            far..I've probably read it a dozen times myself.

            DeAnna
          • Susan Hicks
            Message 5 of 20 , Mar 20, 2005
              Cheryl wrote:

              > I've read one of them, thinking I would love it, but something about
              > the writing style was rather off-putting to me and I found myself
              > having to slog through it. I thought it was well-written and (as far
              > as I know, which admittedly isn't far) historically accurate enough,
              > but I didn't....enjoy it, I guess. I haven't gone back to revisit the
              > series but I probably will at some point because I usually do give an
              > author second chances. I found the same problem with Margaret
              > Frazer's Dame Frevisse series. On paper, it's right up my alley and I
              > should've enjoyed it, but in practicality I found it difficult to
              > read.

              That's interesting Cheryl because I can't get into Michael Jecks either. It's a while since I tried one so my recollections are vague. I know some anachronisms bugged me, but mainly it was the writing I didn't get on with. Ditto Margaret Frazer. People have told me that her work is absolutely wonderful and like you, on paper, I should love her books. I bought A Play of Isaac, but I couldn't get into the writing style at all. I've now lent it to a mystery buff friend, so will see how she gets on and I'll give it another try when I get it back.

              > I still have the third one in the Grail series to finish before I
              > move on to more of his stuff.

              Me too. I recently finished the second one, Vagabond, and I enjoyed it. There's not a lot of story, it's more a collection of incidents linked by battles, but well written and entertaining. Re your TBR mystery pile. I adore Sharon Penman's Justin de Quincy series. Prince of Darkness is out at the end of this month and I can't wait to get my hands on a copy!
              I agree all the way with DeAnna re Clan of the Cave Bear. It's a fantastic read, and definitely the best of the series!

              Best
              Susan

            • hiraeth2
              Message 6 of 20 , Mar 20, 2005
                --- In histfict@yahoogroups.com, "deannakay_1" <deannakay_1@y...>
                > I really liked the Clan of the Cave bear..and the two books
                following
                > it weren't bad... but the last two lost something, and were harder
                > read. Though stick with Clan..it's the best of the series by
                > far..I've probably read it a dozen times myself.
                >
                > DeAnna

                I read the first four when I was about sixteen but by the time the
                fifth one came out so much time had passed that I couldn't really
                remember what had already happened! And the first four were such
                massive books that I didn't really have the inclination to reread all
                of them. I am curious as to whether Ayla ever saw her son again
                though...

                Tracy-Anne
              • Justin Neville
                Message 7 of 20 , Mar 20, 2005
                  > I read the first four when I was about sixteen but by the time the
                  > fifth one came out so much time had passed that I couldn't really
                  > remember what had already happened! And the first four were such
                  > massive books that I didn't really have the inclination to reread all
                  > of them. I am curious as to whether Ayla ever saw her son again
                  > though...

                  Similar experience for me. I read all four, one after the other, about ten
                  to twelve years ago, and really loved them. Though the first was definitely
                  the best - and after that it was partly a question of 'more of the same'.
                  But I really enjoyed them.

                  I bought the fifth when it came out in paperback a year or two ago, but I
                  felt uncomfortable about reading it as I'd more or less forgotten the story
                  so far and didn't feel up to re-reading all of the first four again. Plus,
                  the general view was that the fifth was far poorer than the others - so it's
                  still sitting there on the shelf.

                  Justin

                  PS. Haven't posted much recently because I've been on a bit of a break from
                  historical fiction. I'll list below briefly what I've read recently, just in
                  case anyone's interested:

                  Anthony Trollope - The Claverings
                  Mark Abley - Spoken Here: Travels Among Threatened Languages
                  Ruth Rendell - From Doon With Death
                  Anne Tyler - Back When We Were Grownups
                  Luke Sutherland - Venus As A Boy
                  Trudi Canavan - The Magicians' Guild & The Novice (bks 1+2 of a fantasy
                  trilogy)
                • Brenda
                  Message 8 of 20 , Mar 21, 2005
                    Trudi Canavan - The Magicians' Guild & The Novice (bks 1+2 of a fantasy
                    trilogy)

                    Let me know about these for sure Justin. I'm always looking for some new fantasy for my hubby to read. He will break from it occasionally but, its mostly what he will read.

                    Thanks!

                    Karoline

                    Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT