Re: [histfict] New to group

  • CCondray@aol.com
    Message 1 of 17 , Dec 1, 2004
      Jacki:

      I'm a little behind on my e-mail, so please forgive my being so slow to read about the books you are reading...they sound fascinating! You listed at the end some books on Cleopatra, etc. Would you mind giving some titles and authors?

      Claire
    • Jennifer
      Message 2 of 17 , Dec 2, 2004
        Jeanette writes:

        >Hilary, For what it's worth, it took me until book four of
        >the Lymond Chronicles to get pulled in. Only stuborn pride
        >kept me reading. I was reading with a group of people who
        >were all reading them for the first time and I didn't want to
        >admit that they were all smarter than me. <g>

        I was introduced to Dunnett for the first time in 1974 but just wasn't moved
        by a pretty blond boy quoting poetry in obscure languages :-). I came back
        to Dunnett some years later and was attracted to Lymond's love of Scotland.
        And that kept me going.

        >I had no
        >problems with King Hereafter, although I will say that Rome
        >got kind of tiresome. I read the HN series with the same group
        >and gave up on book five. I just could not stomach Gelis any
        >longer. But the first three books were fabulous.
        >
        >For some of us it just takes a lot of work to get the hang of
        >her and sometimes you have to ask if it's worth it or not. I
        >will always be glad I stuck with the LC and KH is one of my
        >favorite books ever. So I guess it was worth it for me. But
        ><sighing> it wasn't easy.

        I completely agree with you, Jeanette. Part of the magic of Dunnett for
        some is a real deterrent to others. It can be really daunting, sometimes,
        reading with folk who seem to understand all of the obscure references. But
        Dunnett's appeal is far broader than that.

        Jenny in Canberra

        fionnabhair@...

        'Technology ... the art of so arranging the world that we don't have to
        experience it.' (Max Frisch)
      • lilynlilac
        Message 3 of 17 , Dec 19, 2005
          Hello everyone--

          I just recently discovered this Yahoo group and I had to join instantly! Historical fiction
          has become my favorite of all literary genres. I'm looking forward to the discussions and
          recommendations!!

          Michelle
        • Sophiene
          Message 4 of 17 , Dec 19, 2005
            Hi Michelle and welcome !
            I am a fairly new member myself and my TBR stack has increased considerably
            since joining.
            At the moment I am rereading the Outlander series. I still am completely
            taken by them and don't go to sleep till way past my bedtime :-))

            Sophiene

            On 12/19/05, lilynlilac <whistlewind@...> wrote:

            > Hello everyone--
            >
            > I just recently discovered this Yahoo group and I had to join
            > instantly! Historical fiction
            > has become my favorite of all literary genres. I'm looking forward to the
            > discussions and
            > recommendations!!
            >
            > Michelle

          • tesana_astraea
            Message 5 of 17 , Dec 19, 2005
              Hi Michelle,

              Welcome! :-)

              You've come to the right place. This is a great group with lots of
              friendly people, interesting discussions and wonderful book
              recommendations.

              Looking forward to hearing about your favorite authors/books.

              Happy Holidays!

              Trine :-)

              --- In histfict@yahoogroups.com, "lilynlilac" <whistlewind@s...>
              wrote:

              > Hello everyone--
              >
              > I just recently discovered this Yahoo group and I had to join
              instantly! Historical fiction
              > has become my favorite of all literary genres. I'm looking
              forward to the discussions and
              > recommendations!!
              >
              > Michelle

            • pkmaynard
              Message 6 of 17 , Dec 24, 2005
                Michelle said:
                << I just recently discovered this Yahoo group and I had to join instantly!
                Historical fiction
                has become my favorite of all literary genres. I'm looking forward to the
                discussions and
                recommendations!! >>

                Welcome to the group, Michelle! Who are some of your favorite authors ...
                and what are some of your most memorable reads?

                Pat