Re: Suggestions

  • pam thomas
    Message 1 of 12 , Apr 1, 2004

      > Vicky,
      >
      > I pricked up my ears when you mentioned Rosamunde Pilcher. The author
      > looked
      > intriguing so I looked Judith Lennox up on powells.com. I couldn't find a
      > description for The Secret Years but I did see something for Some Lover's
      > Ghost. It looks really good. It's about a woman who writes the life story
      > of Dame Tilda Franklin and discovers a soul mate and a life which mirrors
      > her
      > own. She also becomes entangled in a 40-year-old murder mystery. It looks
      > fascinating. Have you read that one?
      >
      > Melanie

      I've read all Judith Lennox's books but I enjoyed the first three or four much
      more than the last few. The first ones were true historical - settings
      included Borders Scotland, and the Barbary Coast (I think she was quite heavily
      influenced by Dunnett, but that's not necessarily a bad thing <g>). 'Till the
      Day Goes Down', her second, I particularly enjoyed, and one called 'The Italian
      Garden'. Her more recent ones have 20th century settings and I don't like them
      so much, but I still enjoy them. Give them a try!

      Pam
      --
      So many books, so little time ...
    • Victoria Coulter
      Message 2 of 12 , Apr 1, 2004
        No, I haven't read that one. And for the life of me, I can't recall
        what led me to try this book. I think I saw her compared to Pilcher as
        well. I was telling someone about this book and also tried finding a
        good description of it online but didn't come up with one. It centers
        around 4 children, Nicholas & Lally (brother & sister), Daniel and
        Thomasine. Nicholas & Lally come from money, Daniel & Thomasine are
        from the village (and thus not "good enough" for Nicholas & Lally
        according to their mother). They're friends but there's a falling out
        and then WWI. They're all separated and later end up back in the same
        village again as adults. The book tells the story of each of their
        lives and how they're intertwined.

        I'm really bad at descriptions so this probably doesn't do the book
        justice. I've never heard of Lennox before but she's written quite a
        bit and seems to be more accessible in the UK. I'm very much enjoying
        The Secret Years and plan to read more of her books. The books are
        500-700 pages which are a great size to really sink your teeth into.

        Let us know if you read Some Lover's Ghost. I thought that sounded good
        too!

        -Vicky

        Melanie Anton wrote:

        >Vicky,
        >
        >I pricked up my ears when you mentioned Rosamunde Pilcher. The author looked
        >intriguing so I looked Judith Lennox up on powells.com. I couldn't find a
        >description for The Secret Years but I did see something for Some Lover's
        >Ghost. It looks really good. It's about a woman who writes the life story
        >of Dame Tilda Franklin and discovers a soul mate and a life which mirrors her
        >own. She also becomes entangled in a 40-year-old murder mystery. It looks
        >fascinating. Have you read that one?
        >
        >Melanie
        >
        >Victoria Coulter wrote:
        >

        >>Right now I'm reading The Secret Years by Judith Lennox and am enjoying
        >>it very much. It takes place around the first World War and reads very
        >>similar to a Rosamonde Pilcher book.
        >>
        >>Thanks for the other suggestions, Jennifer.
        >>-Vicky
        >>

        >Yahoo! Groups Links

      • Melanie Anton
        Message 3 of 12 , Apr 1, 2004
          Thanks, Vicky and Pam, for your recommendations of her books. I will probably be
          limited to reading whatever is in my library, but I know I have a treat in store!

          Melanie

          Victoria Coulter wrote:

          > No, I haven't read that one. And for the life of me, I can't recall
          > what led me to try this book. I think I saw her compared to Pilcher as
          > well. I was telling someone about this book and also tried finding a
          > good description of it online but didn't come up with one. It centers
          > around 4 children, Nicholas & Lally (brother & sister), Daniel and
          > Thomasine. Nicholas & Lally come from money, Daniel & Thomasine are
          > from the village (and thus not "good enough" for Nicholas & Lally
          > according to their mother). They're friends but there's a falling out
          > and then WWI. They're all separated and later end up back in the same
          > village again as adults. The book tells the story of each of their
          > lives and how they're intertwined.
          >
          > I'm really bad at descriptions so this probably doesn't do the book
          > justice. I've never heard of Lennox before but she's written quite a
          > bit and seems to be more accessible in the UK. I'm very much enjoying
          > The Secret Years and plan to read more of her books. The books are
          > 500-700 pages which are a great size to really sink your teeth into.
          >
          > Let us know if you read Some Lover's Ghost. I thought that sounded good
          > too!
          >
          > -Vicky
          >
          > Melanie Anton wrote:
          >
          > >Vicky,
          > >
          > >I pricked up my ears when you mentioned Rosamunde Pilcher. The author looked
          > >intriguing so I looked Judith Lennox up on powells.com. I couldn't find a
          > >description for The Secret Years but I did see something for Some Lover's
          > >Ghost. It looks really good. It's about a woman who writes the life story
          > >of Dame Tilda Franklin and discovers a soul mate and a life which mirrors her
          > >own. She also becomes entangled in a 40-year-old murder mystery. It looks
          > >fascinating. Have you read that one?
          > >
          > >Melanie
          > >
          > >Victoria Coulter wrote:
          > >

          > >>Right now I'm reading The Secret Years by Judith Lennox and am enjoying
          > >>it very much. It takes place around the first World War and reads very
          > >>similar to a Rosamonde Pilcher book.
          > >>
          > >>Thanks for the other suggestions, Jennifer.
          > >>-Vicky
          > >>

          > >Yahoo! Groups Links

          > Yahoo! Groups Links

        • Andrea
          Message 4 of 12 , Apr 2, 2004
            Thank you all for your wonderful ideas. It just so happens that I am currently reading a Judith Lennix book, too! It's "The Winter House" - it's one of the newer ones, I suppose. It is enjoyable, but I'm having trouble staying concentrated on it- it's not one of the most gripping novels I've ever read :-)

            The suggestion of "Tanamera" looks so intriguing- I also love stories set in the orient.

            Oh- someone asked what other Indian novels are good- I've read "The Peacock Spring" by Rummer Godden after I saw the Masterpeice Theatre adaptation of it (see if you can rent this!)- excellent, has all the flavors and sounds of India captured in 250 pages! Also "The Far Pavilions" was excellent.

            Join Excite! - http://www.excite.com
          • Shirley Knowles
            Message 5 of 12 , Feb 27, 2006
              Quick comments on We Speak no Treason, Crown in Candlelight, and The King's Grey Mare: I recall reading them many, many (30-40?) years ago and thinking they were very good. The King's Grey Mare does plow the same ground as The Sunne in Splendor so if you read that recently, I'd save "Mare" for later. "Treason" was the first RIII I ever read, and it left a lasting impression. On the other hand, I can't remember anything about "Candlelight". Enjoy.
              Shirley K