Re: Books for my vacation

  • Hilary A Wiek
    Message 1 of 12 , Aug 6, 1998
      Shelle:

      Do go (to England) if you can! It is amazing how cheap flights can be if
      you hold out. I thought I was getting good prices when I spent $500 to go
      to Birmingham (from Cleveland) last year, but then in January it went down
      to close to $350 roundtrip. Now that I have good friends over there, I
      expect to get back every couple of years. My first trip involved a lot of
      sightseeing (and singing), while my second was just a lot of hanging
      around. I think future trips might turn into trips for my friends, as
      well, perhaps going into Scotland or Wales for an excursion or two.
      Luckily I don't have anyone like a husband or a baby girl to leave behind,
      so I can make these sorts of plans pretty freely.

      I did see Gross Point Blank and enjoyed it a lot. I didn't run into any
      old loves or any hitmen (that I know of). I thought (not very seriously)
      about doing it more like Romy and Michelle's High School Reunion (I think
      that was the title. The girl who plays Phoebe on Friend starred in it) and
      just make up some grand story about my last ten years, but I played it
      straight. Most of the people there did, as well. It was pretty relaxed
      and low-key. Nothing to talk about at the 20 year, anyway.

      Hilary
    • Hilary A Wiek
      Message 2 of 12 , Aug 6, 1998
        Kate:

        I think my conversion to things Scottish is pretty recent - I can probably
        most accurately date it to the reading of the Outlander books, which I
        first did almost two years ago. I have one area of confusion that any one
        of these list members might be able to clear up for me, though:

        If bagpipes are Scottish and plaids and kilts are Scottish, then why do the
        bagpipers always march in the St. Patrick's Day parades and the police and
        fireman funerals (these exhibiting primarily Irish heritages in the US)? I
        have always enjoyed the bagpipers, but this question came to me about a
        year ago and I can't quite figure it out.

        Hilary
      • Shirley Skinner
        Message 3 of 12 , Aug 7, 1998
          Message text written by INTERNET:histfict@onelist.com
          >If bagpipes are Scottish and plaids and kilts are Scottish, then why do
          the
          bagpipers always march in the St. Patrick's Day parades and the police and
          fireman funerals (these exhibiting primarily Irish heritages in the US)?<

          First off, welcome back!

          I think we can safely say that kilts are Scottish, but bagpipes are
          actually pretty widely used - the Scots definitely exported them around the
          world (vivid memories of the Ghurkas and Singapore and Hong Kong Police
          pipe bands playing at the Edinburgh Military Tatoo here), and I know that
          other countries developed versions of the pipes - I think the Basque
          Spaniards use some form of them. Bagpipes are a predominantly "celtic"
          thing, rather than solely Scottish.

          The Irish marching bands, Irish dancers etc. who wear kilts tend to wear
          predominantly single-coloured kilts, generally in a sort of tawny-orange,
          which must have some significance, but don't ask me what it is! Possibly
          it just goes really nicely with kelly green!

          Shirley