Re: Scary Reads

  • Sandra
    Message 1 of 9 , Oct 31, 2002
      Halloween is over but I'm on digest so forgive my after-the-fact
      contribution to this OT thread. The scariest book I ever read was
      Hell House by Richard Matheson which I read many years ago. I do
      remember I was actually afraid to turn out the light and go to sleep
      while reading it. I'll have to re-read it one of these days to see if
      it still gets to me.

      Sandy in RI
    • hiraeth2
      Message 2 of 9 , Nov 1, 2002
        I read Barbara Erskine's Hiding from the Light recently and whilst
        hardly in the same scariness league as King or Harris, I did feel a
        chill go up my spine and times and jumped 6 feet in the air when the
        phone rang at a particularly tense moment!

        Tracy-Anne
      • shirley@nantes.fsnet.co.uk
        Message 3 of 9 , Nov 1, 2002
          Has anyone else read Susan Hill's The Woman in Black? More of a novella than a book (only about 150 pages), it's absolutely terrifying and has been turned into a TV film and an incredibly successful two-hander play - I saw it about 12 years ago, and can still remember it in vivid detail, which is unusual for me. The denouement of both the book and the play still creep me out when I think about them!

          Shirley

          > From: "hiraeth2" <hiraeth2@...>
          > Date: Fri 01/Nov/2002 16:01 GMT
          > To: histfict@yahoogroups.com
          > Subject: [histfict] Re: Scary Reads
          >
          > I read Barbara Erskine's Hiding from the Light recently and whilst
          > hardly in the same scariness league as King or Harris, I did feel a
          > chill go up my spine and times and jumped 6 feet in the air when the
          > phone rang at a particularly tense moment!
          >
          > Tracy-Anne

          Freeserve AnyTime, only £13.99 per month with one month's FREE trial!
          For more information visit http://www.freeserve.com/time/ or call free on 0800 970 8890
        • Lynne Connolly
          Message 4 of 9 , Nov 1, 2002
            "Has anyone else read Susan Hill's The Woman in Black? More of a novella
            than a book (only about 150 pages), it's absolutely terrifying"

            Oh yes, Shirley! How could I forget that! It's the tension - she keeps you
            wound up tight. Great book.

            Lynne Connolly, GSOLFOT
            YORKSHIRE, out now from Novelbooks Inc
            DEVONSHIRE out November 18th 2002