Re: Current readings

  • isabelsloliveira
    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 1 1:19 AM
      Hi Justin

      > Welcome back! Glad you enjoyed Augustus and Tiberius; they really
      are
      > brilliant books. I agree with you that they are both better than
      Caesar and
      > Anthony. Have you read Nero's Heirs yet? Have you ever read I
      Claudius and
      > Claudius The God? They really present a much different picture of
      Tiberius
      > to the Massie books.

      No, I haven't read either, but I'm going to mark them for my future
      aquisitions (as if the list wasn't big enough as it is now). I
      already have I, Claudius on that list for a long time, but meanwhile
      I have the first three of C. McCullough on my shelf, which I think
      will take me into an earlier period.

      > After really loving Cornwell's Arthur trilogy, I was put off him by
      the dire
      > Stone Henge. So I don't know whether to try Harlequin or the newest
      one,
      > Gallow's Thief.

      I didn't read Stonehenge yet, but it is already on the TBR pile. My
      dh is starting that and it seams he is having a harder time than with
      Harlequin, which he devoured in 2 or 3 days, just as me. :) I
      recommend Harlequin a lot!

      All the best,
      Isabel
    • Justin Neville
      Message 2 of 7 , Sep 2 7:39 AM
        >No, I haven't read either, but I'm going to mark them for my future
        >aquisitions.

        Nero's Heirs is good but not as good as Augustus or Tiberius. I Claudius is
        simply fabulous and everyone should read it. Claudius The God is less good
        but still excellent.

        >meanwhile I have the first three of C. McCullough on my shelf, which I
        >think will take me into an earlier period.

        These books are superb. I think the next one, The October Horse, is out soon
        in hardback but I will wait for the paperback.

        >I didn't read Stonehenge yet, but it is already on the TBR pile.

        Well, my experience with that one would suggest that you don't bother. And
        Susan's experience would back that up.

        Justin

      • cadurdin
        Message 3 of 7 , Sep 3 12:27 PM
          > Well, my experience with that one would suggest that you don't
          bother. And
          > Susan's experience would back that up.
          >
          > Justin

          I agree with both of them. I gave up at half the book and I never do
          that. I figure if I am that far I might as well finish riding the
          horse. That horse did not make it to the end of the line. I even
          gave the book to Goodwill.