What I'm Reading

  • subaker
    Message 1 of 4 , May 1, 2002
      Here I go again on another Cecelia Holland rant (someone tell me to
      go away). Just finished 'Rakossy', the story of a Magyar noble,
      Janos Rakossy, and his new wife, Catherine, as they prepare to face
      the Turks in Hungary in 1526. This is a gem, only about 250 pages,
      tightly written, taut, utterly engaging, and very moving. The
      changing relationship between Janos and Catherine is wonderfully
      depicted, as are the action scenes. Few authors can say so much in
      so few words as Holland.

      Another book finished recently is 'The Conqueror's Heart' by Denee
      Cody. This is basically a romance but the historical background and
      setting are well researched. The characters were also real
      historical figures and quite interesting in real life. Set in
      Ireland around 1170, Richard de Clare, known as Strongbow for his and
      his men's ability with the Welsh long bow, has had all his property
      confiscated by Henry II. He agrees, with Henry's permission, to help
      Dermot MacMurchada, deposed king of Leinster in Ireland, regain his
      crown in return for properties in Ireland and the hand of Dermot's
      daughter, Eve.

      This book sparked my interest in Richard de Clare and I did a bit of
      research via Google. He was truly a remarkable man, loyal to a king
      who treated him poorly, courageous in war and honorable in his
      dealings with all. Interestingly, he and Eve had one surviving
      child, Isabelle, who eventually married William Marshal.

      I also read 'The Mongols' by David Morgan, a nonfiction overview of
      the history of the Mongol Empire, as a result of enjoying
      Holland's 'As the Sun Falls' so much. Very interesting and a real
      change for me, as I usually favor medieval fiction set in the British
      Isles. A minor but fascinating character in 'As the Sun Falls' was
      an Englishman the author calls Rijart, who, with a prodigious gift
      for languages, served the Mongol Empire as a diplomat. In truth,
      there was such a man and I could not resist ordering a biography of
      him called 'The Tartar Khan's Englishman' by Gabriel Ronay. Hope to
      read it after I finish 'Khan', an historical novel by Florence
      Prusmack about Genghis (Chinghis) Khan. It's amazing how one book
      will lead to another!

      What is everyone else reading? Would love to hear...

      Susan B., in Napa
    • Jennifer Cameron-Smith
      Message 2 of 4 , May 4, 2002
        Susan B asks:

        > What is everyone else reading? Would love to hear...

        I am so glad that I am actually reading something <g> ...

        Kim Wilkins 'Angel of Ruin' ... 'a thriller with a touch of history' (17th
        century London)

        then I will move onto 'Ali and Nino' (a serendiptitious 'borrow' from the
        library)

        Jenny
      • MaryPoppinzz@aol.com
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 20, 2003
          Hi Everyone,

          I'm new to this list and just thought I'd say hello. My name is Carol, and
          I'm living in FL at the moment. I love history, and have read mostly non
          fiction until about a year ago when I read Lords of The White Castle, by
          Elizabeth Chadwick,and became hooked on histfict. I'm so happy to have found
          this group, and now, rather than wandering through the library hoping I'll
          find a good read, I have loads of your book suggestions to take with me! For
          that I thank you all!

          Becky~ I just finished reading The Tea Rose by Jennifer Donnelly, and found
          it to be one of those books that was hard to put down once I got started. I
          hope you are continuing to enjoy it! Have you read anything else by that
          author? Another book set in that era is The Crimson Petal and the White by
          Michel Faber. I read that a few months back, and loved it!

          I'm currently reading The Conquest, by Elizabeth Chadwick, and loving it so
          far. After that, I have A Bone of Contention, by Susanna Gregory, waiting to
          be read. I read another of her books recently, and I'm hoping this one will
          be just as good!

          Carol

        • Susan Hicks
          Message 4 of 4 , Feb 21, 2003
            Carol, welcome to the list - I see you made it <g>

            There have been a lot of excellent recommendations going round - I'm going to have to squeeze more reading time from somewhere! Meanwhile I keep writing the titles that come up in the back of my reading diary.

            I've just finished reading The Dreaming Stones by Sarah Harrison for the HNS Review. It's a novel about 3 women, 1 Roman, 2 contemporary, whose stories and emotions are linked by a special place near Hadrian's Wall. The author alternates a chapter for each character. I found it very well written and engrossing. Despite me just having read the absolutely brilliant George.R.R. Martin, Sarah Harrison managed to hold her own and I didn't get that let down feeling that sometimes happens in the vacuum after a superb read.
            I'm now reading a modern thriller for a change of genre and pace, but I've several historicals waiting on the TBR

            Best
            Susan :-)
            http://www.elizabethchadwick.com

            Yahoo! Groups Sponsor