Re: [histfict] Digest Number 935

  • shellelr@aol.com
    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 2 4:56 PM
      In a message dated 1/29/2002 3:23:55 AM Eastern Standard Time,
      histfict@yahoogroups.com writes:

      > >Hello All,
      > >
      > >I've just come from seeing The Count of Monte Cristo. It was solidly
      > >entertaining. Lots of good performances, and Jim Caviezel, who plays the
      > >Count, is very easy on the eyes! I recommend it wholeheartedly for those
      > who
      > >need a histfict film fix!
      > >Shelle
      >
      > And to really grasp the tale, be radical and
      > actually read the book.
      > - Sidney.

      Thanks, Sidney. I'm sure that never occurred to any of us.

      Maybe you were kind of joking. This comment just struck me as obnoxious.

      Shelle
      feeling honest tonight.

    • shellelr@aol.com
      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 2 4:59 PM
        In a message dated 1/29/2002 3:23:55 AM Eastern Standard Time,
        histfict@yahoogroups.com writes:

        > >Be sure you go out on the net and find a 30 year old picture of Omar
        > >Shariff so you can picture Yuri Zhivago.
        >
        > With all respect to Mr. Sharif, an Egyptian, his picture would
        > hardly be evocative of a Russian - the fictional Zhivago, or any
        > other typical Russian.
        > - Sidney.

        And another histfict member stands corrected. You're on a roll, Sidney.

        Shelle

      • Sidney Allinson
        Message 3 of 7 , Feb 2 10:33 PM
          At 07:56 PM 2/2/02 -0500, you wrote:
          >In a message dated 1/29/2002 3:23:55 AM Eastern Standard Time,
          >histfict@yahoogroups.com writes:
          >

          > > >Hello All,
          > > >
          > > >I've just come from seeing The Count of Monte Cristo. It was solidly
          > > >entertaining. Lots of good performances, and Jim Caviezel, who plays the
          > > >Count, is very easy on the eyes! I recommend it wholeheartedly for those
          > > who
          > > >need a histfict film fix!
          > > >Shelle
          > >
          > > And to really grasp the tale, be radical and
          > > actually read the book.
          > > - Sidney.
          > >
          >Thanks, Sidney. I'm sure that never occurred to any of us.
          >
          >Maybe you were kind of joking. This comment just struck me as obnoxious.
          >
          >Shelle
          >feeling honest tonight.

          Me too. That's why I suggested actually reading the book.
          Some folks here seem more enamored of movies than books.
          But then, that's just my opinion.
          That is okay, isn't it?
          - Sidney.
        • Sidney Allinson
          Message 4 of 7 , Feb 2 10:34 PM
            At 07:59 PM 2/2/02 -0500, you wrote:
            >In a message dated 1/29/2002 3:23:55 AM Eastern Standard Time,
            >histfict@yahoogroups.com writes:
            >

            > > >Be sure you go out on the net and find a 30 year old picture of Omar
            > > >Shariff so you can picture Yuri Zhivago.
            > >
            > > With all respect to Mr. Sharif, an Egyptian, his picture would
            > > hardly be evocative of a Russian - the fictional Zhivago, or any
            > > other typical Russian.
            > > - Sidney.
            > >

            >And another histfict member stands corrected. You're on a roll, Sidney.
            >
            >Shelle

            Have a nice lie down, Shelle.
            - Sidney.
          • shellelr
            Message 5 of 7 , Feb 3 11:08 AM
              --- In histfict@y..., Sidney Allinson <sidneya@s...> wrote:
              > At 07:56 PM 2/2/02 -0500, you wrote:

              > > > who
              > > >
              > > > And to really grasp the tale, be radical and
              > > > actually read the book.
              > > > - Sidney.
              > > >
              > >Thanks, Sidney. I'm sure that never occurred to any of us.
              > >
              > >Maybe you were kind of joking. This comment just struck me as
              obnoxious.

              > >Shelle
              > >feeling honest tonight.
              >

              > Me too. That's why I suggested actually reading the book.
              > Some folks here seem more enamored of movies than books.
              > But then, that's just my opinion.
              > That is okay, isn't it?
              > - Sidney.

              Your opinion is okay. The way you express it is not: rude, self-
              important, judgemental and completely uninformed about the people you
              are preaching to with your "be radical and actually read the book"
              comment. But you do it in a very economical way, I'll give you that.

              Some folks here may be more enamored of movies than books. Some
              folks here may be enamored of both movies and books. That is okay,
              isn't it?

              In the three or more years that I have been participating, this has
              been an upbeat and friendly list. Fun. Even when we have strong
              opinions we share them kindly and respectfully.

              Shelle
            • Shirley Skinner
              Message 6 of 7 , Feb 3 12:22 PM

                > solidly
                > who plays the
                > wholeheartedly for those

                > > >Thanks, Sidney. I'm sure that never occurred to any of us.
                > > >
                > > >Maybe you were kind of joking. This comment just struck me as
                > obnoxious.
                > > >
                > > >Shelle
                > > >feeling honest tonight.
                > >

                > > Me too. That's why I suggested actually reading the book.
                > > Some folks here seem more enamored of movies than books.
                > > But then, that's just my opinion.
                > > That is okay, isn't it?
                > > - Sidney.
                >
                > Your opinion is okay. The way you express it is not: rude, self-
                > important, judgemental and completely uninformed about the people you
                > are preaching to with your "be radical and actually read the book"
                > comment. But you do it in a very economical way, I'll give you that.
                >
                > Some folks here may be more enamored of movies than books. Some
                > folks here may be enamored of both movies and books. That is okay,
                > isn't it?
                >
                > In the three or more years that I have been participating, this has
                > been an upbeat and friendly list. Fun. Even when we have strong
                > opinions we share them kindly and respectfully.
                >
                > Shelle

                You go girl! I quite agree. I hate to watch the tenor of this list change,
                I've made some good friends on it and would hope that we can *all* carry on
                enjoying each other's virtual company.

                Sidney, why do you have such a problem with people enjoying watching films?
                There are some wonderful historical films out there (and some shockers) but
                I think we're all intellingent enough to work that out for ourselves. The
                recent version of the Man in the Iron Mask starring Jeremy Irons, John
                Malkovich and Leonardo di Caprio was not exactly faithful to the book, but
                it was fabulous fun and worth watching for sheer entertainment value. I,
                for one, am looking forward very much to seeing The Count of Monte Cristo
                (amazingly enough it's not been released in this country yet), if only to
                see how it compares with the recent French TV series starring Gerard
                Depardieu, which was absolutely wonderful.

                I enjoy reading, watching TV *and* going to the cinema. Frequently I have
                read the book from which a film is adapted, even more frequently the film
                leads me to the book. It's a symbiotic thing.

                Shirley
              • neo-fhaicsinneach
                Message 7 of 7 , Feb 3 11:23 PM
                  Sidney writes:

                  >>Thanks, Sidney. I'm sure that never occurred to any of us.
                  >>
                  >>Maybe you were kind of joking. This comment just struck me as obnoxious.
                  >>
                  >>Shelle
                  >>feeling honest tonight.
                  >

                  >Me too. That's why I suggested actually reading the book.
                  >Some folks here seem more enamored of movies than books.
                  >But then, that's just my opinion.
                  >That is okay, isn't it?
                  >- Sidney.

                  I'd prefer to read a book anytime. But then I am old and crabbed and
                  dislike sitting in the dark with strangers. Which kind of means movies are
                  'out'. <vbg>.

                  One of the people I work with was singing the praises of Lord of the Rings
                  (the movie) and has no intention of reading the book. This is heresy to me
                  (sigh) but if we read books, then maybe no-one would watch movies .....

                  Jenny (print-oriented, and proud)