Re: Kenneth Roberts.

  • amykimber@yahoo.com
    Message 1 of 12 , Nov 1, 2001
      Afternoon all,

      Sidney Allinson wrote:
      > 'Sad how so many superb historical novelists have
      > become forgotten and out of print. Wondrous
      > storytellers like ...
      > Kenneth Roberts
      > F. Van Wyck Mason
      > Raphael Sabatini
      > etc.

      Thank you! I'd been forced to conclude that F. Van Wyck Mason
      was a figment of my imagination! A few years ago, October 1999 to be
      precise I bought a box of books in an auction, one of which
      was "Captain Nemesis" by this F. Van Wyck Mason, I would have put it
      in the lifeboat pile but how could I dismiss a book with such a title?

      When I had finished reading this book (3rd November 1999) I
      immediately started looking for other by this author. But I could
      find none, the Internet was no help on this occasion either, I
      concluded this writer just wasn't very successful and hadn't written
      much or had much published.

      Captain Nemesis is a good fun book. It's identical, plot
      wise, to The Count of Monte Cristo (well, maybe not, but I had only
      finished Monte Cristo two months before I read Captain Nemesis so the
      plot was still very fresh in my mind), but not quite as dark - and of
      course, nowhere near as good.
      Pirates, gold, bits with boats and a couple of heroines
      thrown in - who could ask for more!

      I am very pleased to hear that someone else has heard of F.
      Van Wyck Mason (what a great name), what else has he written? Who was
      he anyway? I can't decide if he was an American with moustache or an
      eastern European man with cape. (This is your cue to tell me he was a
      woman)

      Those Kenneth Roberts books look very interesting; I'll keep
      an eye out for them

      Amy K - currently reading Frankenstein and Cross Stitch
    • Sidney Allinson
      Message 2 of 12 , Nov 1, 2001
        At 01:20 PM 11/1/01 +0000, you wrote:
        >Afternoon all,
        >
        >Sidney Allinson wrote:
        > > 'Sad how so many superb historical novelists have
        > > become forgotten and out of print. Wondrous
        > > storytellers like ...
        > > Kenneth Roberts
        > > F. Van Wyck Mason
        > > Raphael Sabatini
        > > etc.
        >
        > Thank you! I'd been forced to conclude that F. Van Wyck Mason was a
        > figment of my imagination!

        F. Van Wyk Mason was an American author who wrote scores of
        splendidly-researched excitingly-told historical novels.
        He is yet another sad example of how many fine historical novelists who
        once were tremendously popular best-selling authors are now unread,
        unknown, and forgotten.
        It seems as if most "historical novel" readers today have a authors'
        awareness that reaches back only about ten years. If an historical novel
        isn't available on supermarket shelves this week, it simply never existed. :-)
        Just now, for curiosity, I make a search on the Internet for him. Even
        Google could come up with only three references to VWM. (One of which was
        only a comment by me!)
        I seldom have high expectations of the Internet for research, but such
        scant info there about Mason emphasizes just how far he has fallen from
        public memory already. Odd, considering the many books he wrote, as
        recently as 30 years ago.
        Then I turned to a few book-search sites online, and had better luck.
        'Found about ten of VWM titles offered for sale here and there at
        second-hand book dealers on the WWW.
        Anyone who enjoys a really good read in historical novels, would be
        rewarded by looking around for F. Van Wyk Mason. Your local public library
        would be a good place to ask.
        Enjoy!.
        -- Sidney Allinson.
      • Sidney Allinson