Re: Masters of Rome series (McCullough)

  • amykimber@yahoo.com
    Message 1 of 9 , Oct 1, 2001
      --- In histfict@y..., " Jennifer Cameron-Smith" <fionnabhair@b...>
      wrote:

      > Hi Amy. In order, the books are:
      >
      > The First Man in Rome
      > The Grass Crown
      > Fortune's Favourites
      > Caesar

      Thanks, thats very helpful (am I the only person who as trouble
      figuring out series using Amazon?), I'll be reading the first one
      soon.
      From the info on Amazon I see the first one is set in the time
      of/Just before Sulla, this will be very helpful when I'm reading the
      Steven Salor (sp?) book about ... Georgiunias???? (something like
      that) The Finder. The whole Roman political thing can get very
      confusing at times!

      > Caesar's Women is related to these books but I don't think it is
      considered
      > to be officially part of the series.

      His women? He never did divorce his wife did he? And of course
      there was Cleopatra - did those two ever really meet?

      Amy K

      --
      'I am not going to Germany' - Falco (paraphrased)
    • Shirley Skinner
      Message 2 of 9 , Oct 1, 2001
        I replied to this message from my work computer but it never seems to have
        arrived. I can't remember what I said, but if you've already read this,
        then I apologise!

        > Thanks, thats very helpful (am I the only person who as trouble
        > figuring out series using Amazon?), I'll be reading the first one
        > soon.
        > From the info on Amazon I see the first one is set in the time
        > of/Just before Sulla, this will be very helpful when I'm reading the
        > Steven Salor (sp?) book about ... Georgiunias???? (something like
        > that) The Finder. The whole Roman political thing can get very
        > confusing at times!

        Steven Saylor - Gordianus the Finder and, yes, the books to coincide to a
        large extent - the most recent Roma sub Rosa book deals with Caesar's
        crossing of the Rubicon when he invaded Italy during the civil war. It's
        fun to read them - not in conjunction _per se_ but around the same time as
        you get the same story from very different viewpoints!

        And, no, you're not the only one who has trouble with Amazon's listing of
        books. Is it so difficult to list them in published order?

        > > Caesar's Women is related to these books but I don't think it is
        > considered
        > > to be officially part of the series.
        >
        > His women? He never did divorce his wife did he? And of course
        > there was Cleopatra - did those two ever really meet?
        >
        > Amy K

        I think we've decided (Jenny's list in one of her books notwithstanding)
        that Caesar's Women is part of the series. And a hint. Caesar was actually
        married more than once. Read the books!

        Shirley
      • Jennifer Cameron-Smith
        Message 3 of 9 , Oct 3, 2001
          Shirley wrote:

          >I think we've decided (Jenny's list in one of her books notwithstanding)
          >that Caesar's Women is part of the series. And a hint. Caesar
          >was actually married more than once. Read the books!

          Oh yes! Do read the books. They are very well written IMV. I agree with
          all who stated that Caesar's Women is part of the series - it does make me
          wonder about jacket copy though :-)

          Does anyone know when 'The October Horse' is due to be published?

          Jenny in Canberra
          Jennifer Cameron-Smith
          fionnabhair@...

          'Aonaibh ri Cheile'