Re: [histfict] Digest Number 779

  • FLPORCH@aol.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 1, 2001
      < I'm still in book 1, about 200 pages in, I'd say. Of the
      paperback edition, late 1990's copyright, I think. You're welcome to
      bounce questions off me, but I'm not guaranteeing any profound
      answers! I'm reading it too slowly (not enough reading time!) to be
      putting things together nearly as well as I should. >>

      I know there are a few others here who will agree with this.
      At 200 pages you are just starting to get to the part that it will all make
      sense. There is a lot that is going on that you are not supposed to
      understand. After the 150-200 mark it is much better. I was told that when
      reading it the first time not to worry about all the foreign words and just
      read. It worked. All of the books in the Lymond series are wonderful. (at
      least I think so) When you get the end of Game of Kings go back and look at
      the first part again. You will wonder why it seemed so hard the first time.
      The best book of all is Checkmate. You do need to read them all to really get
      the full effect. It was my favorite. I was sorry to get the end and wanted to
      Good luck with them and I hope that you both love them as much as most of the
      people who read them.
      Sharon.
      PS: If you do not believe me just ask Jani and Jeanette.
    • Jani
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 1, 2001
        --- In histfict@y..., FLPORCH@a... wrote:
        > < I'm still in book 1, about 200 pages in, I'd say. Of the
        > paperback edition, late 1990's copyright, I think. You're welcome
        > bounce questions off me, but I'm not guaranteeing any profound
        > answers! I'm reading it too slowly (not enough reading time!) to
        be
        > putting things together nearly as well as I should. >>
        >
        > I know there are a few others here who will agree with this.
        > At 200 pages you are just starting to get to the part that it will
        all make
        > sense. There is a lot that is going on that you are not supposed to
        > understand. After the 150-200 mark it is much better. I was told
        that when
        > reading it the first time not to worry about all the foreign words
        and just
        > read. It worked. All of the books in the Lymond series are
        wonderful. (at
        > least I think so) When you get the end of Game of Kings go back and
        look at
        > the first part again. You will wonder why it seemed so hard the
        first time.
        > The best book of all is Checkmate. You do need to read them all to
        really get
        > the full effect. It was my favorite. I was sorry to get the end and
        wanted to
        > Good luck with them and I hope that you both love them as much as
        most of the
        > people who read them.
        > Sharon.
        > PS: If you do not believe me just ask Jani and Jeanette.

        Sharon said it all! Lady Dunnett tells wonderful stories!

        Jani