  • Neptune@nwonline.net
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 1, 1998
      Hello everyone, welcome to all the new members. Thanks for the new
      suggestions on authors. Also a big welcome back to Shirley!

      Favorite Authors

      Angelique Series by Sergeanne Golon
      Sharon Kay Penman
      Wolf And The Dove by Kathleen Woodwiss
      Mary Stewart (All of her books because I liked her as a child!)
      Outlander Series by Diana Galbadon
      Wheel Of Time Series by Robert Jordan(Fantasy)
      Anything set in Africa by Wilbur Smith
      All but "Redemption"by Leon Uris
      Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follett
      September by Rosamund Pilcher
      Light reading Nora Roberts

      I too tried to read Cold Mountain, because it was on the bestseller
      list. I just couldn't finish it. I have tried to read the books on
      Oprah's list but I have never finished even one. Has anyone else read
      her recommendations? I find that her books are depressing.

      I am still reading Penman's "Sunne In Splendor". I like it but I must
      confess that my thoughts on Richard III have been colored by
      Shakespeare.
      Anyone else read Rosamund Laker?
      Vickie
    • Hilary A Wiek
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 1, 1998
        Vickie:

        Yes, I have read Rosamund Laker. I read several of her books at one point
        in time several years back. The first I read was the one set during the
        time of Louis the ? who made Versailles what it is. I really enjoyed that
        one, so I read some of the others then, as well. The thing with her books,
        though, is that they are very formulaic, and so although they are all
        (presumably) good, they probably shouldn't be read consecutively. The
        formula being poor disadvantaged girl takes on a craft in some significant
        point in history (when women generally don't rise out of the holes their
        class has put them) and becomes the expert, gaining wealth, recognition,
        and royal access. Or something like that - it's been awhile. They are
        well written, and perhaps it has been long enough that I could pick up
        another and enjoy it quite well.

        As for Richard III, I must admit that I was completely ignorant of the
        issues surrounding him and the War of the Roses prior to reading Sunne in
        Splendour. I haven't read Shakespeare's play. I really like her comments
        at the end that history is written by the winners, in this case, the
        Tudors, and the losers come up with the bad end of the deal in history. So
        she has written a number of books about people who, from the English
        perspective, were villains, but when taken from another angle, were
        fighting the noble cause. If your recollection of Richard III is too
        present, perhaps you should try her Welsh trilogy (assuming you know much
        less about their big days in history). Those are each very good, as well.
        As someone mentioned a few weeks back, reading her stuff and Diana
        Gabaldon's books pretty cause you to harbor some pretty poor feelings for
        the English and their treatment of their Welsh and Scottish neighbors.
        Anyone know of a great book chronicling their mistreatment of the Irish to
        make this picture complete? (I say this as a confirmed Anglophile... Just
        as we are not responsible for the actions of our Presidents, the English
        people cannot, for the most part, be blamed for the ruthlessness of their
        Kings and Queens)

        Hilary
        Cleveland, OH
      • Shirley Skinner
        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 1, 1998
          I am definitely going to have to go away and come back more often!

          Good choice of books, Vickie, I seem to have read most of them - I
          remember reading all the Angelique books as a teenager, when they were
          very daring! Although I have to say I do prefer the books before she
          and Joffrey go to America - up until Angelique in Love, they're great,
          when they get to the New World it all gets a bit silly. But I still
          own them all.

          A similar French author is Juliette Benzoni, who wrote two series, one
          set during the reign of Phillipe Le Bel (13th? Century? Sorry, my
          French medieval history is shaky!) about a heroine called Catherine,
          and a series set during the Napoleonic Era where Marianne, the
          heroine, is Napoleon's mistress at one point and spends about four
          books chasing after an English privateer who eventually turns out to
          be a rat. She ends up fallilng for her husband, who is a recluse like
          Angelique's too.

          Ken Follett's best book is The Pillars of the Earth, I love it.

          Somebody I was talking to last night said that, while she loved Sharon
          Penman's work on the whole, she liked The Sunne in Splendour least
          because Sharon was so obviously in love with Richard. I am a member
          of the Richard III Society - and I joined almost directly as a result
          of reading the book - so I would defend him to the death, but I do see
          what she meant. In our opinion her best book is definitely When
          Christ and His Saints Slept because it's got a more balanced point of
          view. Don't all flame at once, because I love all the books, and all
          this talk about them means that I'm going to have to find time to
          re-read them soon, but don't take what Sharon says about Richard as
          being absolute, gospel truth - much as we'd all like it to be.

          And, yes, I've read some Rosalind Laker books. She's what I'd call a
          "journeyman" author - able to turn her hand to any period of history,
          instead of concentrating on one or two. But good fun for all that -
          there was a very good one about a woman painter in Holland called The
          Golden Tulip, I recall.

          Gosh, this has been a long post.

          Shirley

          ---Neptune@... wrote:
          > Hello everyone, welcome to all the new members. Thanks for the new
          > suggestions on authors. Also a big welcome back to Shirley!
          >
          > Favorite Authors
          >
          > Angelique Series by Sergeanne Golon
          > Sharon Kay Penman
          > Wolf And The Dove by Kathleen Woodwiss
          > Mary Stewart (All of her books because I liked her as a child!)
          > Outlander Series by Diana Galbadon
          > Wheel Of Time Series by Robert Jordan(Fantasy)
          > Anything set in Africa by Wilbur Smith
          > All but "Redemption"by Leon Uris
          > Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follett
          > September by Rosamund Pilcher
          > Light reading Nora Roberts
          >
          > I am still reading Penman's "Sunne In Splendor". I like it but I must
          > confess that my thoughts on Richard III have been colored by
          > Shakespeare.
          > Anyone else read Rosamund Laker?
          > Vickie

          > NewHoo Web Directory -- built by an army of volunteer editors
          > *** Now the 4th largest human-edited directory of the Web! ***
          > http://www.NewHoo.com/ "HUMANS do it better"

        • Amy Lin
          Message 4 of 4 , Oct 1, 1998
            > I have tried to read the books on
            > Oprah's list but I have never finished even one. Has anyone else read
            > her recommendations? I find that her books are depressing.

            I don't know where Oprah gets the ideas for her book of the month; but I
            have never finished any of them except the first Wally Lamb book--and it was
            still so depressing. I have given up on Oprah, and now I get idea from the
            lists on this mb.

            Amy