Books

  • Hilary
    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 4, 2001
      I have been on quite the book buying binge this past week or so. And
      I've totally gotten back into the reading mood - but I keep getting
      foiled by work and choir practice and moving and trips... I am very
      much looking forward to two five hour plane trips this weekend (to
      Seattle and back for a wedding) so I can get through a couple of
      books.

      I finally purchased the Dunnett Lymond series. Perhaps I'll actually
      read them this time. I also purchased a plethora of historical
      romances set in Scotland - I've GOT to start getting into my Scotland
      kick before Shirley and I take off in August. And I got the newest
      series by Guy Gavriel Kay. Not historical, particularly, but I've
      always really enjoyed his books.

      I am about halfway through the fourth Harry Potter.

      Anyone else on a reading binge they'd like to share? It's been
      awfully quiet around here, lately...

      Hilary
    • ajm32571@aol.com
      Message 2 of 9 , Apr 4, 2001
        Hello to all!
        I also have been on a book buying/reading kick. I have a pile infront of my
        bookcase that is getting bigger. I no longer have room on my shelves for book
        and need to buy another book case. Recently I have bought and read, the
        first two books by Sara Donati, which were really good (the third in the
        series is coming out sometime this year). I have the first book in the
        Niccolo (sp) series by Dorothy Dunnett, another Sharon Kay Penman, Falls the
        Shadow, and a book I found by chance, by Dodie Smith called I Capture the
        Castle. It is about a teenage girl and her family who live in a old English
        castle and she writes stories. Has anyone ever heard of this book? The same
        Author wrote 101 Dalmations.

        I also have a vampire book by Laurell K. Hamilton (not histfic, but worth
        mentioning). For my birthday, my Aunt sent me the first Harry Potter book on
        tape and I am listening to it now. I really like how the narrator does all
        the voices. I am almost done with the tapes and I am stuck to decide what to
        read next! Oh well, such decisons!

        TTFN

        Angela

      • Patricia K Maynard
        Message 3 of 9 , Apr 4, 2001
          Hi Hilary ... and all the rest of you out there,

          Just finished 'The Vintner's Luck' by Elizabeth Knox and found it a
          wonderful, deeply moving novel. The story begins in Burgundy, in 1808,
          and below is a short review although there's a more in depth one on
          Amazon to at the following link:
          http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/stores/detail/-/books/0374283923/rev
          iews/002-1465413-9051227

          **In this wily novel, Sobran, a successful Burgundian winemaker whose
          wayward youth was spent in Napoleon's Grand Army, comes to regard luck as
          a matter of individual will rather than divine intervention -- a radical
          thought at the time. But in Knox's ingenious take on the consequences of
          the Enlightenment, Sobran manages to turn away from the church and adopt
          empirical techniques in his winemaking only with the help of a
          clandestine lifelong friend, who is, plausibly enough, an angel." -- THE
          NEW YORKER**

          Also loved 'Captain Corelli's Mandolin' and look forward to the movie
          which will be released in August.

          Best to you'all,
          Pat

        • Tamara Wehrle
          Message 4 of 9 , Apr 5, 2001
            Hi group,

            First, thank you for all the suggestions on books set during the American
            Revolution. I've just started Redcoat by Bernard Cornwell and a non-fiction
            account of the British attempt to take back control of the Carolina's by
            John Buchanan called The Road to Guildford Courthouse. Several other
            recommendations are queued up.

            Before that I finished The Plague Tales by Ann Benson which, with related
            tales of bubonic plague, combines two of my favorite genres, hf (1348
            France/England) and bio-tech sci-fi (2005 England). I believe this is her
            first novel and aside from a few confusing point-of-view moments, it was a
            good read. I already have the second book, Burning Road, and am looking
            forward to reading it as well.

            Also sitting here waiting to be read are the first book in Dunnett's Niccolo
            series and Roberson's Lady of Sherwood. On my bn.com wish list are all the
            (available) books you've recommended that I've not read. I'm trying to
            practice a little self-control by not allowing myself to buy a book on my
            wish list until I've finished reading one.

            I have several non-hf books pleading to be read as well. I was
            fortunate enough to have the Potter series read to me by my 10-year old
            daughter as they were published. She also did a very good job with the
            voices.

            Looking forward to finding more time to read!

            Tamara
          • Gabriel and Gina
            Message 5 of 9 , Apr 5, 2001
              Hi,

              I just recently finished "Girl with a Pearl Earring" by Tracy Chevalier.
              The main character is a young girl working as a maid in the houshold of the
              painter Johannas Vermeer. When I took this book from the libaray I also
              borrowed a book of Vermeer paintings. I am very glad I did because in the
              book she talks of the paintings and the author casts the people in the
              paintings as characters in the book. She manages to very smoothly work in a
              lot of detail about life in Delft in the 1600's. I enjoyed it very much. The
              first chapter can be seen at
              www.pearlearring.com

              Gina