Re: [histfict] Digest Number 485

  • daglog@aol.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 1, 2000
      In a message dated 06/01/2000 4:18:33 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
      histfict@egroups.com writes:

      << Other than that, I hope to be reading the House of Niccolo by then, so a
      couple of those should keep me quiet when I'm not sight-seeing!

      Me too, though I haven't ordered from J Thin and plan on waiting until July
      to buy one at my local bookstore.

      Thanks Angelia Shirley, Lesley, and all others who responded to my question
      regarding vacation reading. Isn't it cool to pick out the perfect book to
      take with you somewhere? It makes an area become more alive and gives you a
      closer connection to your surroundings.

      Back to the garden.
      Alice
    • daglog@aol.com
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 1, 2000
        In a message dated 06/01/2000 4:18:33 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
        histfict@egroups.com writes:

        << I'll have to look for The Fencing Master soon; are those his only books,
        or the only ones that have been translated?

        Another of his titles is The Seville Communion, which I gave to my sister in
        law at Christmas. She liked it so much that she and her husband decided to
        spend their vacation in Seville. They just returned, so I haven't talked to
        them or gotten a "travelogue" yet.

        I haven't read the Fencing Master yet either. I tend to wait for paperbacks
        or check out hardcovers from the library when I have the time. Just call me
        superthrifty (read:cheap). Really, I do like paperbacks better cause they
        weigh less and can be thrown in a backpack/purse/diaperbag easier.

        Because I have small children, I don't see movies at the theater all that
        often either. I rent the videos of all but the ones I simply can't wait for,
        like Star Wars Episode 1. The result of all this is that I'm always a year
        or so behind on experiencing books and movies. I don't really mind it all
        that much though, and when the kids are bigger I can go back to being more on
        top of those things.

        Back to the garden. Really, I'm not kidding this time.
        Alice
      • LFortier
        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 1, 2000
          I forgot to ask when I wrote before about The Club Dumas - have you caught the
          movie "The Ninth Gate" with Johnny Depp yet? (probably your last paragraph here
          answers that.) It's supposed to be based on The Club Dumas, though it looks
          like they really played up the devil worship part. I rarely see movies out,
          either (finding a babysitter is too much trouble most of the time), so when this
          comes out on our satellite pay per view, I'll give it a try then.

          Lesley

          daglog@... wrote:

          > In a message dated 06/01/2000 4:18:33 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
          > histfict@egroups.com writes:
          >
          > << I'll have to look for The Fencing Master soon; are those his only books,
          > or the only ones that have been translated?
          > >>

          > Another of his titles is The Seville Communion, which I gave to my sister in
          > law at Christmas. She liked it so much that she and her husband decided to
          > spend their vacation in Seville. They just returned, so I haven't talked to
          > them or gotten a "travelogue" yet.
          >
          > I haven't read the Fencing Master yet either. I tend to wait for paperbacks
          > or check out hardcovers from the library when I have the time. Just call me
          > superthrifty (read:cheap). Really, I do like paperbacks better cause they
          > weigh less and can be thrown in a backpack/purse/diaperbag easier.
          >
          > Because I have small children, I don't see movies at the theater all that
          > often either. I rent the videos of all but the ones I simply can't wait for,
          > like Star Wars Episode 1. The result of all this is that I'm always a year
          > or so behind on experiencing books and movies. I don't really mind it all
          > that much though, and when the kids are bigger I can go back to being more on
          > top of those things.
          >
          > Back to the garden. Really, I'm not kidding this time.
          > Alice

        • Shirley Skinner
          Message 4 of 4 , Jun 1, 2000
            > I forgot to ask when I wrote before about The Club Dumas - have you caught
            the
            > movie "The Ninth Gate" with Johnny Depp yet? (probably your last
            paragraph here
            > answers that.) It's supposed to be based on The Club Dumas, though it
            looks
            > like they really played up the devil worship part. I rarely see movies
            out,
            > either (finding a babysitter is too much trouble most of the time), so
            when this
            > comes out on our satellite pay per view, I'll give it a try then.
            >
            > Lesley

            This is where you thank goodness you don't live in the UK - this hasn't
            actually been released here yet. And you're already talking about getting
            it on satellite TV!

            I'm just grateful we got Gladiator so quickly - the release date was brought
            forward from August to May after vociferous complaints.

            Shirley