Favorites

  • Hilary A Wiek
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 22, 1998
      In the past year or two, the books I have picked up have been almost
      exclusively historical fiction, reading almost anything I can find having
      to do with British history - but written as fiction. I have gotten mixed
      results in just picking up books off of the shelves. The best reads have
      come from suggestions from friends who had similar tastes as myself, which
      is why I wanted to join this list. I thought I should at least pass along
      the suggestions, though.

      I would suggest that anyone should read the Outlander series by Diana
      Gabaldon. They are well-written, funny, sad, historically true, with good
      romance, good adventure, and an all-around good time. There is the added
      element of time travel, but that, according to Ms Gabaldon, was a fluke.
      She meant to keep it all in the 18th century, but Claire (the lead female)
      kept saying things that were completely anachronistic. These books take
      place in Scotland, France, and America in the 17th Century. As well as
      Scotland and America in the 20th.

      For some fantastically written books having to do with the British Isles, I
      would recommend anything written by Sharon Kay Penman. She takes true life
      stories, but often with a perspective uncommon in the history books. The
      first one I read by her was about Richard III - from his perspective, not
      that of the winners (the Tudors). This book, The Sunne in Splendour, gives
      much more sympathy to Richard's story than you will generally find
      elsewhere. She has a set of three books, as well, that chronicle the Welsh
      in their heyday - in the 12th and 13th centuries. These books are all
      long, but very well worth it.

      Those are my very best ideas.

      Hilary
      Cleveland, OH