I'm Back!

  • Shirley Skinner
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 1, 1998
      Hi everyone!

      I'm back from my holiday, and have resubscribed until it's time to go to my
      new job!

      Scotland was gorgeous, I didn't go further north than Edinburgh, but I had
      a really great time visiting the Edinburgh Festival and seeing my family.
      A friend of mine from London came to stay with me and we visited lots of
      historic places in the Borders, such as Hermitage Castle, home to the Earls
      of Bothwell, and Abbotsford, which was Sir Walter Scott's home.

      Anyway, it's good to be back on-line, however briefly, and I look forward
      to lots of messages with interesting books to read.

      Hilary, I hope you're finding Wintercombe a bit more exciting now!

      And to whoever wants to know if The Far Pavilions is good - it is! Really,
      really romantic, and lots of detail about India in the Raj. There was a
      terrific mini-series of it a few years ago starring Amy Irvine, Ben Cross
      and Omar Sharif, which I'd recommend renting, if it's out on video.

      Shirley
    • Hilary A Wiek
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 1, 1998
        Welcome back, Shirley! I am glad to hear you had a lovely time in
        Scotland. I am still jealous. I hope to witness the stark beauty of the
        highlands sometime in my lifetime.

        Have fun being a short-timer at work. Those last few weeks (days?) are
        always so great because you know that the pressure is going to be off in so
        short of a time. Granted, you'll have new pressure, but you'll be able to
        kiss the old garbage goodbye for new and exciting garbage.

        I did enjoy Wintercombe. It was an interesting view into a year in the
        life of the English Civil War. It won't make it on my all-time best read
        list, but it was definitely good.

        Hilary