Re: welcome

  • Richard Kitchen
    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 1, 1999
      Liz asked:

      >I tried reading one of Dorothy Dunnet's books and I just couldn't get into
      >it. Do they take a while to get into and get better as you read more. I
      >actually ended up returning it to the library before I had finished.

      Yes, they are *very* hard to get into, but once you get the feel for her
      language and her millions of characters, you can follow along.

      Rick Kitchen
    • Liz Palmer
      Message 2 of 8 , Nov 1, 1999
        I tried reading one of Dorothy Dunnet's books and I just couldn't get into
        it. Do they take a while to get into and get better as you read more. I
        actually ended up returning it to the library before I had finished.
        Liz

        Message 3 of 8 , Nov 1, 1999
          In a message dated 11/1/99 4:09:37 AM Central Standard Time,
          lizpalmer193@... writes:

          << Dorothy Dunnet's books and I just couldn't get into
          it. Do they take a while to get into and get better as you read more. >>
          Liz,
          I just started reading Game of Kings. I have read about 100 pages. It has
          taken that long to get used to the writing style and to begin to get the
          characters figured out. A lot of people have said that her books are very
          good. I plan on sticking with it. Which one of her books did you try to read?
          Sharon
        • Shirley Skinner
          Message 4 of 8 , Nov 1, 1999
            Which one did you read? For both series, you really need to start at the
            beginning and persevere - I can remember trying Queen's Game because I liked
            the cover, but giving up very early. It wasn't until I ploughed through the
            mental barrier with Game of Kings that I was hooked.

            Highly recommend trying again!

            Shirley

            > I tried reading one of Dorothy Dunnet's books and I just couldn't get into
            > it. Do they take a while to get into and get better as you read more. I
            > actually ended up returning it to the library before I had finished.
            > Liz

          • Shirley Skinner
            Message 5 of 8 , Nov 2, 1999
              It does, it does, I promise, but it does take more than 100 pages -
              unfortunately nearer 250 or so, but suddenly you're hooked and wonder how
              you found it difficult.

              Shirley

              > It was actually Game of Kings, and I have to admit that I didn't get as
              far
              > as 100 pages. Maybe I'll try again. I just had a million things to read
              at
              > the time, too, so that probably made it worse. I'll give it another go -
              if
              > you promise it's worth it.
              > Liz

            • Liz Palmer

              • UPSCWRU@att.net
                Message 7 of 8 , Jul 27, 2000
                  Jan:

                  Welcome to another list member from Ohio! Thanks for
                  the intro and for piping in so readily. I, too, have
                  read a number of books on King Arthur, only one or two
                  on Henry VIII, none (yet) on Cleopatra (I have Margaret
                  George's book), and not a lot on Native Americans. I
                  got on a European history (mainly Britain) kick about
                  four years ago, and there is so much material that I
                  haven't made it back much to America.

                  Happy reading.

                  Hilary
                  Dayton, OH