Hello and welcome!

  • Hilary A Wiek
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 6, 1998
      Our list is up to five member as of this weekend! Okay, so it's not a
      multitude or anything, but given that I set this up just a couple of weeks
      ago hoping to find some kindred historical fiction-reading souls, this is a
      grand start.

      Not everyone has introduced themselves, which means I can't exactly do it
      for them, but I have heard from Beth (works in a university library in
      Wilmington, NC), and Philippa (who works in an executive search firm in
      London, but lives up in Warwickshire). Our other two list members, Jeremy
      and Shari, have, to this point been silent, though by his e-mail address, I
      take it Jeremy is also in Ohio somewhere.

      Since starting this list, ironically, I have had little to no time to spend
      reading any of the books suggested thus far. I just finished a pretty good
      book called The Doomsday Book by Connie Willis. This is a book set in the
      21st century as well as the 14th. The folks in the future have figured out
      how to time travel and end up facing medical epidemics in both centuries.
      I recommend the book more for its concepts and storyline than the actual
      telling of it. Don't get me wrong, the writing was just fine; it just
      didn't inspire me to tears or anything.

      The book I am working on now is called Two Crowns for America by Katherine
      Kurtz. It is about the founding of America and the central part that the
      author supposes the Freemasons had in the ultimate form that the US took.
      As many of you probably know, a good portion of the founding fathers were
      Freemasons, and their symbols sit on the $1 bill to this day. I look
      forward to getting through this book and its unusual premise.

      That's it from me on this fine Monday morning. I hope you all had a
      wonderful Fourth (even you, Philippa! I saw a couple of stores decked out
      in American flags when I was in Birmingham, England, last summer for the
      Fourth of July, so I guess you guys are at least aware of the date. It did
      seem a bit odd to me, though.)!

      Hilary
      Cleveland, OH