Skip to search.

holiday reading

  • Stephen Copson
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 1, 1999
      Back from a week in sunny Norfolk; children took buckets and spades to
      the beach, and I took books! Managed to finish DD's Caprice and Rondo
      while I was there - aaaaaaah(satisfied sigh). Even better, picked up my
      own copy secondhand.

      Some very good bookshops in Norfolk; we went to several National Trust
      gardens and some of them now have secondhand bookshops on site. Also
      bought a copy of The Loving Cup, which is the only Winston Graham I
      didn't have my own copy of. (What Nicky - never read them? I thought you
      had read everything....do try again. I know it is tricky when a memory
      of a TV series keeps superimposing on your reading, but worth
      persevering; the early ones in particular are very complex IMO; not
      historical potboilers merely. The characters have strongly developed
      interior lives, and all those strong independent women are rather fun
      too!)

      Belinda
    • Nicky Smith
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 1, 1999
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 9, 2000
          Hi everyone

          Just got back from a holiday in Brittany; took my copy of Lymond (Checkmate)
          with me for a second read. A perfect choice as it turned out, as much of
          Checkmate is set in northern France so it was very good to read the book
          while we were actually in the same place. A wonderful read and I understood
          it much better this time round! Also on my TBR list this summer are Conan
          Doyle's The White Company, and Stevenson's Catriona.

          BTW, what is the list Mediavel Reader, which somebody just mentioned (and I
          have accidentally deleted). Sounds interesting.

          Belinda