Did Shakespeare write Shakespeare?

  • John Yeoman
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 31 1:38 PM
      A new movie Anonymous contends that the Earl of Oxford wrote the entire canon of the Bard, while taking time out to be both the son and lover of Queen Elizabeth I. To use a 16th century expression: `Flapdoodle'.

      That said, the Shakespeare of Stratford probably did not write Shakespeare's plays. Why?

      Please see my new blog post. It advances a speculation on the Shakespeare authorship question so wicked that nobody, to my knowledge, has ever suggested it before. See if you agree with me at:

      http://www.writers-village.org/writing-award-blog/why-shakespeare-did-not-write-shakespeare

      John Yeoman, Writers' Village
    • Don Maker
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 1, 2011
        Mr. Yeoman, I assume you wrote your blog as humour, as indicated by many of the fanciful pieces you have written. You write in negativities, but ignore all of the actual evidence. There are many documented payments for performances in front of the queen to Burbage and the other sharers (main partners) of the troupe, as well as deeds of ownership to the Globe and other properties related to the various troupes, that bear the name William Shakespeare. His name also appears in a few lists of actors surviving from those companies. Never mind the dedications to Wriothesley, and all the other writings that bear Shakespeare's name. Those could indeed have been faked. But why would any sane person put a fictitious name on a payment document or a deed in order to perpetuate such a fraud? They could have easily paid a ghostwriter to pen the plays, but would not have gone to the trouble of portioning out part of the revenues to a figment of the imagination. Like
        "Anonymous" and "Shakespeare in Love", your "theory" is punctured by too many holes to hold all but the hottest of air. Cheers, Don Maker, M.Ed.

        ________________________________

        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 3, 2011
          Thanks, Don. Of course, it was humour. Or rather: 'things like truths, well feigned', as Jonson puts it in Epicoene.

          I have added a modest answer to your post in the Historical Novel Society. But, to your points...

          Of course, Shakespeare had an empirical existence. Ghosts do not turn up in deeds of ownership. I am comfortable with the idea that Shakespeare was a minor impresario of the time and a hobbyist actor. Perhaps Burbage borrowed his name, so conveniently evocative of an Angry Young Man, to brand the plays.

          However, to my knowledge, we have no indisputable evidence to link the playwright of Southwark with the man of Stratford.

          (May I hastily say, I do not endorse the lunacies of the Oxfordians, Marlovians, Baconians, Pembrokians or the High Church of the Shakespeare Fellowship (Reformed). Anyone who challenges an established belief system like 'Shakespeare' lives dangerously, as I have recently discovered...)

          Dr John Yeoman, PhD

          > Mr. Yeoman, I assume you wrote your blog as humour, as indicated by many of the fanciful pieces you have written. You write in negativities, but ignore all of the actual evidence. There are many documented payments for performances in front of the queen to Burbage and the other sharers (main partners) of the troupe, as well as deeds of ownership to the Globe and other properties related to the various troupes, that bear the name William Shakespeare. His name also appears in a few lists of actors surviving from those companies. Never mind the dedications to Wriothesley, and all the other writings that bear Shakespeare's name. Those could indeed have been faked. But why would any sane person put a fictitious name on a payment document or a deed in order to perpetuate such a fraud? They could have easily paid a ghostwriter to pen the plays, but would not have gone to the trouble of portioning out part of the revenues to a figment of the imagination. Like
          > "Anonymous" and "Shakespeare in Love", your "theory" is punctured by too many holes to hold all but the hottest of air. Cheers, Don Maker, M.Ed.
          >

          > ________________________________

        • Charlie Farrow
          Message 4 of 6 , Nov 3, 2011
            I thought John Yeoman was your nom de plume?
            Charlie Farrow

            On 3 November 2011 11:09, John Yeoman <nrobinson777@...> wrote:

            > Dr John Yeoman, PhD

          • Don Maker
            Message 5 of 6 , Nov 3, 2011
              John, In my case, it is not hysteria to defend Shakespeare. In my younger days of teaching, I assured my students that William had not written those plays or verses due to many of the arguments posed by others, including the Oxfordians. As a teacher of literature, however, I felt it incumbent on myself to study the issue. I have subsequently read piles of research--some of the pieces quite recent, based on documents that took many years to plow through. I asked myself all of the questions I attempted to answer in "The Shakespeares and the Crown" -- which only began after I was convinced that the young man from Stratford was more likely to have written those works than anyone else. While not comprehensive by any means, many more of those arguments are in the article below than I put in my responses to you. It may (or may not) interest you to read it. What I didn't stress in this article was the heavy burden being a recusant Catholic in a virulently
              Protestant country would have put on a controversial writer, and why he would have had a lot more reason for keeping a low profile than Edward de Vere. Cheers, Don
              http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/9113069/the_movie_anonymous_is_worse_than_a.html

              Message 6 of 6 , Nov 4, 2011
                Shucks, Charlie. You've outed me again!

                IMHO Shakespeare was a nom de plume as well but he gets 127 million citations at Google. I live in hope.

                BTW: I really am a PhD and my thesis was in aspects of Jacobethan linguistics. Verily.

                Dr John Yeoman, PhD by the sympathy vote: