New Member Introduction

  • ONeil
    Message 1 of 14 , Sep 25, 2011
      I am O'Neil De Noux, a reader and writer of historical fiction (as well as other genres). I have many favorite writers, recently reading Bernard Cornwell, Ken Follett, Alexander Kent, Greg Iles, Channing Hayden and Susanne Alleyn. I look forward to interchanges with the members.

      Won't bore you with my credits. If you are interested my web page is: www.oneildenoux.net
    • Sophiene
      Message 2 of 14 , Oct 2, 2011
        Hi O'Neil and welcome!

        Last Thursday Hella Haasse died and now I am going to reread In a dark wood wandering about the life of Charles d'Orleans, one of my alltime favorite books. Charles d'Orleans was taken prisoner at the battle of Azincourt and Bernard Cornwell wrote a book about said battle although I haven't read it yet.

        Sophiene
        "Reading is like breathing"

        Sent via BlackBerry

        Message 3 of 14 , Oct 3, 2011
          In histfict@yahoogroups.com, "Sophiene" <eiketske@...> wrote:

          Last Thursday Hella Haasse died and now I am going to reread In a dark wood wandering about the life of Charles d'Orleans, one of my alltime favorite books. Charles d'Orleans was taken prisoner at the battle of Azincourt and Bernard Cornwell wrote a book about said battle although I haven't read it yet.

          Sophiene,
          I read Cornwell's book. I believe he calls it by the British name for the battle, AGINCOURT. Good book. His book about English bowman called THE ARCHER'S TALE may be even better. The man can write. I'll have to check out Hella Haasse. PW calls IN A DARK WOOD WANDERING, "massive." How big is it? I have a 320,000 word historical novel coming out in January about THE BATTLE OF NEW ORLEANS, which I consider huge, almost massive.
          O'Neil
        • eiketske
          Message 4 of 14 , Oct 4, 2011
            O'Neil,
            well the dutch version that I have is 592 pages in a small font, but in english it would be less in the same font, because dutch needs more words to say the same than english ;-)
            but I wouldn't know how many words that is, a lot I'd imagine. this novel was written in 1949, so during the war, which she spent in the netherlands, cut off from her family in the dutch indies, she started writing this novel. it still stands after all these years.
            Sophiene

            --- In histfict@yahoogroups.com, "ONeil" <denoux3124@...> wrote:

            > In histfict@yahoogroups.com, "Sophiene" <eiketske@> wrote:
            >
            > Last Thursday Hella Haasse died and now I am going to reread In a dark wood wandering about the life of Charles d'Orleans, one of my alltime favorite books. Charles d'Orleans was taken prisoner at the battle of Azincourt and Bernard Cornwell wrote a book about said battle although I haven't read it yet.
            >
            > Sophiene,
            > I read Cornwell's book. I believe he calls it by the British name for the battle, AGINCOURT. Good book. His book about English bowman called THE ARCHER'S TALE may be even better. The man can write. I'll have to check out Hella Haasse. PW calls IN A DARK WOOD WANDERING, "massive." How big is it? I have a 320,000 word historical novel coming out in January about THE BATTLE OF NEW ORLEANS, which I consider huge, almost massive.
            > O'Neil

          • bonnie sykes
            Message 5 of 14 , Oct 4, 2011
              I am from New Orleans. When is your book coming out? Hella haas also wrote a book about Italy the Scarlet City it was very good

              Bonnie Belle
              Laissez Les Bons Temps Roulez

              well the dutch version that I have is 592 pages in a small font, but in english it would be less in the same font, because dutch needs more words to say the same than english ;-)
              but I wouldn't know how many words that is, a lot I'd imagine. this novel was written in 1949, so during the war, which she spent in the netherlands, cut off from her family in the dutch indies, she started writing this novel. it still stands after all these years.
              Sophiene

              --- In histfict@yahoogroups.com, "ONeil" <denoux3124@...> wrote:

              > In histfict@yahoogroups.com, "Sophiene" <eiketske@> wrote:
              >
              > Last Thursday Hella Haasse died and now I am going to reread In a dark wood wandering about the life of Charles d'Orleans, one of my alltime favorite books. Charles d'Orleans was taken prisoner at the battle of Azincourt and Bernard Cornwell wrote a book about said battle although I haven't read it yet.
              >
              > Sophiene,
              > I read Cornwell's book. I believe he calls it by the British name for the battle, AGINCOURT. Good book. His book about English bowman called THE ARCHER'S TALE may be even better. The man can write. I'll have to check out Hella Haasse. PW calls IN A DARK WOOD WANDERING, "massive." How big is it? I have a 320,000 word historical novel coming out in January about THE BATTLE OF NEW ORLEANS, which I consider huge, almost massive.
              > O'Neil

            • ONeil
              Message 6 of 14 , Oct 6, 2011
                In histfict@yahoogroups.com, bonnie sykes <bellereb1@...> wrote:
                I am from New Orleans. When is your book coming out? Hella haas also wrote a book about Italy the Scarlet City it was very good
                Bonnie Belle
                Laissez Les Bons Temps Roulez

                Bonnie - and anyone else interested.
                The Battle of New Orleans book will be released on January 1, 2012, as a trade paperback and an eBook. It is a love-and-war story. I will be making announcements as we get close to the date. If you want more information just email me.