What is Everyone Reading?

  • Sydney
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 11, 2011
      I am currently reading: Thirteenth Night by Gordon Alan. There are over 200 books on my TBR list, but the ones near the top that will be read soon are:

      State of Wonder by Ann Patchett - Can't wait for this one
      Revelation by C. J Sansom (mystery – fourth in the Mathew Shardlake series)
      River of Smoke by Amitav Ghosh – Have been waiting for this for a long time – it will be released at the end of September. It is the second in the Ibis Trilogy.
      Death and the Jubille by David Dickenson
      The Carter Street Hangman by Anne Perry – this would be my first by this author who I have wanted to read for a long time.

      Sydney
    • Sophiene
      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 11, 2011
        I have just finished Chef by J. Singh, not really historic, but with a lot of history on the India Pakistan conflict in the border state of Kashmir, wonderful read.
        I have also finished Oscar Wilde and the ring of death by Gyles Brandreth. Also a very nice read. Now to browse through my ipod to see what's next. I have Amitav Ghosh' Sea of poppies on there, maybe I'll try that. Off to browse!

        Sophiene
        Sent via BlackBerry

        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 11, 2011
          Just finished /The Race/, the forthcoming title in the Isaac Bell series
          by Clive Cussler. Great detective story of a race across America by
          early airplanes.

          Cindy

          --
          Cindy Vallar
          Author, Freelance Editor, Book Reviewer, Workshop Presenter, Piracy Historian

          The Scottish Thistle
          Highland warrior weds woman of outlawed clan. Past secrets, witchery, and civil war endanger their lives. Pits honor and duty against trust and love.
          Read an Excerpt: http://www.cindyvallar.com/scottishthistle.html

        • Jennifer
          Message 4 of 7 , Aug 11, 2011
            I've just finished 'King's Gold' by Michael Jecks. It took me a little
            while to get into it, and by the end I'd really enjoyed it. It is set in
            1327, when Edward II had been deposed.
            Revelation by C J Sansom (in fact all of the Sansom Sharldlake novels) are a
            great read.

            I've also read a couple of good Australian novels that fit into the
            historical fiction umbrella: 'The Roving Party' by Rohan Wilson (set in Van
            Diemen's Land now Tasmania in the first half of the 19th century) and 'That
            Deadman Dance' by Kim Scott set in what is now Western Australia in the 19th
            century as well. I'd recommend both to anyone interested in Australian
            colonial history.

            Jenny in Canberra

            mailto:fionnabhair@...
          • Sydney
            Message 5 of 7 , Aug 12, 2011
              <<Cindy Wrote: Great detective story of a race across America by early airplanes.>>

              Sounds like a great book. My favorite genre has always been historical fiction and recently I have also become enamored with the sub genre historical mysteries.
              Sydney

              Message 6 of 7 , Aug 12, 2011
                I'm a longtime fan of Clive Cussler, so I was delighted when he
                introduce the Isaac Bell series. I've not been disappointed by any of
                them. Here's more about them:

                http://cusslerbooks.com/isaac_bell_novels.asp

                The first one, /The Chase/, has some great scenes depicting the San
                Francisco earthquake of 1906 that destroyed much of the city.

                Cindy

                --
                Cindy Vallar
                Author, Freelance Editor, Book Reviewer, Workshop Presenter, Piracy Historian
                E-mail: cindy@... or cindyv@...
                Web site: http://www.cindyvallar.com

                The Scottish Thistle
                Highland warrior weds woman of outlawed clan. Past secrets, witchery, and civil war endanger their lives. Pits honor and duty against trust and love.
                Read an Excerpt: http://www.cindyvallar.com/scottishthistle.html

              • Don Maker
                Message 7 of 7 , Aug 13, 2011
                  If you're interested in that earthquake and subsequent events, the book "1906" by James Dalessandro was a very interesting treatment. It was optioned as a movie years ago, but don't know if that will ever be made.