What are we reading???

  • upscwru
    Message 1 of 9 , Jun 23, 2011
      So I've been deleting a lot of posts lately from authors who are using this list as a way to sell their books... let's take back the list and get it back on topic!

      Is anyone reading any historical fiction these days? I admit to a lot of trashy fiction lately, but mainly because I got a new job and moved to Connecticut (Stamford) last month! I was working on an alternative history book (whose name I can't recall - it was following Shakespeare in Spanish-run London) and I was working on the Forsyte saga, but neither was pulling me in. So I've been reading the Meredith Gentry books and rereading some of the Sookie Stackhouse books...

      On a side note, I'm looking for friends in the area, if there are any kindred spirits who would like to out themselves...

      Anyone else?

      Hilary
      List mod for something like 13 years now!
    • Sophiene
      Message 2 of 9 , Jun 23, 2011
        Good to hear from you Hilary, it's been awfully quiet in here.
        I am reading mostly historical mysteries.
        Deanna Raybourn's Lady Julia Grey series
        Laurie R. King with her Mary Russell books
        Rhys Bowen's Royal spyness series
        Jacqueline Winspear with her Maisie Dobbs books

        But really historical... hmmm
        I did read a historical about James Cook's wife by a dutch writer. Wonderful
        read!

        And sorry I am not in your area unless you moved to Aruba without me knowing ;-)

        Sophiene

        ________________________________

        Message 3 of 9 , Jun 23, 2011
          I've been devouring the *Game of Thrones* books. Not strictly historical
          fiction, but they read like history. I'm also rereading* Wolf Hall* by
          Hillary Mantel. What a magnificent piece of writing! I've heard she is
          working on a sequel. I hope it's true, and if it is, it will be on my
          automatic buy list.

          I love the *Forstyte Saga* and am rereading that as well on my Kindle.

          Not history, but one of the best biographies I ever read - *Bess of Hardwick
          * by Mary S. Lovell. I'm up to husband #2 with 2 more to go. Lovell is my
          favorite biographer and an auto buy for any new book.

          *A Confederate Girl's Diary* was a freebie for the Kindle. I enjoy reading a
          contemporary view of the Civil War by an articulate, intelligent teen-age
          observer.

          I'm enjoying the alternative history *The Guns of the South* by Harry
          Turtledove. I probably never would have known about this book, but
          Turtledove was the keynote speaker Friday night at the HNS conference in San
          Diego.

          I'm absorbed by *The Killer Angels* by Michael Shaara. Very well written.
          I'm not a *Firefly* fangirl, but I did enjoy the series. Whedon mentions
          this book as one of his influences.

          *King Rat* is James Clavell's account of the men in the WWII Japanese POW
          camp at Changi. His father had been a POW there, and Clavell draws on his
          father's experiences to tell this story.

          Finished reading *A Play of Piety*, the latest in Margaret Frazer's *Joliffe
          the Player* series. A little weak on the mystery half of the equation, but
          the development of Joliffe as a complex, maturing character more than makes
          up for it. Just because PTSD hadn't been discovered yet doesn't mean people
          didn't suffer from it.

          Almost finished with *Rashi's Daughters: Book III* by Maggie Anton. She
          makes a great panelist, and her contribution to the discussion of Jewish
          Historical Fiction was significant.

          In addition to these, I'm reading the usual summer beach and mountain books,
          trashy romance novels, and light fiction. I have the latest Sookie book on
          reserve at the library. I refuse to pay more for an ebook than for the
          dead-tree version, and I wrote to tell Penguin so. I'm sure they were
          impressed, and I have the form email to prove it.

          I haven't even begun to delve into the huge bag of promo books given out at
          the HNS conference. What a treasure trove.

          Good luck in connecting with other hist-fic readers in your new home
          territory. Maybe a chapter of the HNS will come about in your area.

          Kilian in Tucson

          From quiet homes and first beginning,
          Out to the undiscovered ends,
          There's nothing worth the wear of winning,
          But laughter and the love of friends. Hilaire Belloc

          On Thu, Jun 23, 2011 at 9:54 AM, upscwru <UPSCWRU@...> wrote:

          > **
          >

          > So I've been deleting a lot of posts lately from authors who are using this
          > list as a way to sell their books... let's take back the list and get it
          > back on topic!
          >
          > Is anyone reading any historical fiction these days? I admit to a lot of
          > trashy fiction lately, but mainly because I got a new job and moved to
          > Connecticut (Stamford) last month! I was working on an alternative history
          > book (whose name I can't recall - it was following Shakespeare in
          > Spanish-run London) and I was working on the Forsyte saga, but neither was
          > pulling me in. So I've been reading the Meredith Gentry books and rereading
          > some of the Sookie Stackhouse books...

        • Lois Menzel
          Message 4 of 9 , Jun 23, 2011
            At 11:54 AM 6/23/2011, Hilary wrote:

            >Is anyone reading any historical fiction these days?

            I have read some interesting things lately.

            I'm usually disappointed with best sellers, but I tried The Guernsey
            Literary and Potato Peel Society, which was fairly lightweight. I
            would call it a romance disguised as main stream fiction with a tad
            of history and humor thrown in.

            Before that Rosemary Sutcliff's Mark of the Horse Lord which was
            wonderful. Somehow I missed her books as a kid. I have read two of
            hers now on Roman Britain, this one and The Lantern Bearers. Her
            books are not only for young readers. They are layered and rich
            reading for all ages.

            Before that The Tudor Wench by Elswyth Thane. I enjoyed her
            Williamsburg series, so thought I would try this. It followed
            Elizabeth (from her point of view) from about age six to Mary's
            death. It did a good job, I thought, of portraying her strengths as
            well as her insecurities during that harrowing time.

            Lois

          • Jennifer
            Message 5 of 9 , Jun 23, 2011
              I just finished Elizabeth Chadwick's 'Lady of the English' which I really
              enjoyed. I also read 'The Roving Party' by Rohan Wilson which is set in
              19th century Tasmania. I loved the writing.

              Jenny in Canberra

              mailto:fionnabhair@...
            • Greta van der Rol
              Message 6 of 9 , Jun 23, 2011
                I've just finished Bill Kirton's "The Figurehead". A highly recommended
                story about the 1840s in Aberdeen, Scotland - with a murder mystery thrown
                in. It's an excellent read.

                --
                Greta van der Rol

                *Action-packed SF with a dollop of romance *

                - http://gretavanderrol.com/
                - http://twitter.com/GretavdR
                - http://www.facebook.com/Author.Greta.vanderRol?ref=ts<http://www.Author.Greta.vanderRol>

              • S- Skinner
                Message 7 of 9 , Jun 24, 2011
                  L-O-V-E Laurie King and Rhys Bowen's books, and have enjoyed the three
                  Maisie Dobbs books I've read. Has anyone come across Catriona McPherson's
                  Dandy Gilliver series, set in post WW1 Scotland? Dandy is another female
                  sleuth, rather in the Maisie Dobbs line, written in the first person like
                  Rhys Bowen's books. While I understood the reasons behind it, I was a
                  little disappointed that The God of the Hive, Laurie King's latest book
                  wasn't totally in Mary Russell's voice, but dropped into third person
                  narrative a fair bit.

                  I'm currently catching up with the latest Cynthia Harrod-Eagles Morland
                  books, half way through The Burning Roses, which culminates in the Battle of
                  Loos in 1915. I'm off to France next week for a bit of battlefield touring
                  and these books are an easy way of absorbing the salient facts in advance.

                  If you remember the name of the Shakespeare book Hilary, I'd be interested
                  to know - I like the sound of it!

                  Shirley

                  On 23 June 2011 19:56, Sophiene <eiketske@...> wrote:

                  > **
                  >

                  > Good to hear from you Hilary, it's been awfully quiet in here.
                  > I am reading mostly historical mysteries.
                  > Deanna Raybourn's Lady Julia Grey series
                  > Laurie R. King with her Mary Russell books
                  > Rhys Bowen's Royal spyness series
                  > Jacqueline Winspear with her Maisie Dobbs books
                  >
                  > But really historical... hmmm
                  > I did read a historical about James Cook's wife by a dutch writer.
                  > Wonderful
                  > read!
                  >
                  > And sorry I am not in your area unless you moved to Aruba without me
                  > knowing ;-)
                  >
                  > Sophiene
                  >
                  > ________________________________

                • Hilary Wiek
                  Message 8 of 9 , Jun 25, 2011
                    Shirley: the alternative history book with Shakespeare in Spanish London is Ruled Britannia by Harry Turtledove.

                    Hilary

                    Sent from my iPhone
                  • Melanie Anton
                    Message 9 of 9 , Jun 25, 2011
                      I'm reading one of your favorite series, Hilary. It's Dragonfly in
                      Amber. I had no idea it was going to jump 20 years from Outlander to
                      this second one. I'm not very far into to it. Since January anything
                      historical I've read has been mysteries - Requiem in Vienna by J. Sydney
                      Jones, The Fleet Street Murders by Charles Finch, The Beekeeper's
                      Apprentice by Laurie R. King. This last one was for my mystery book
                      club. Strangely enough I hadn't had a desire to read it on my own, but
                      I enjoyed it well enough when I did read it. Right now, in addition to
                      Dragonfly in Amber, I'm reading Raisins and Almonds by Kerry Greenwood.
                      I'm getting kind of burned out on the Phryne Fisher series.

                      I enjoyed watching the first DVD in The Forsyte Saga, the BBC production
                      from 2002, mainly because Ioan Gruffudd is easy on the eyes. I have the
                      second one in my Netflix queue.

                      Melanie