Self-aggrandizement

  • upscwru
    Message 1 of 16 , Jun 1, 2010
      I seem to be seeing more and more messages that are from authors trying to push their books or topics (and you'll note that you remain on moderated status and your messages take time to get posted). I may not have been specific enough in the top level description of the group ("For the exchange of ideas for great books to read in the historical fiction genre"), but the intent is for readers of books to give their impressions of books they have read to other readers. This is not a forum for authors to pitch their books or research. Authors are welcome to participate as readers, as several already do on this list. But please stop with the self promotion already.

      We do value authors here, obviously. If it weren't for authors, we wouldn't have books. And if you have had some recent good news in publishing, you are welcome to post about it. Once. Even better is if there is a reader who has noticed and does it for you (as does occur on occasion). I want this list to be a readers community, not an audience for book sales techniques.

      Hilary
    • Sophiene
      Message 2 of 16 , Jun 1, 2010
        Thank you Hilary, I didn't feel quite at home here anymore.
        I am just a reader who wants to talk about what I read, but didn't dare to anymore.
        Hope we can get a little more action again here.

        Sophiene

        ________________________________
        Message 3 of 16 , Jun 1, 2010
          Ditto what Sophiene said, Hilary, and I'm a writer!
          Thank you! I'd almost e-mailed you a couple of times because I'd become so irritated.
          There's another historical fiction list that I've abandoned as a reader because of all the self-promo.

          I've just started 31 Bond Street by Ellen Horan. A little bit jerky re the prose at the very beginning, but I'm settling in now.
          I recently read an ARC of the Sourcebooks re-issue of Great Maria by Cecelia Holland and loved it all over again. I'm so glad this one's getting another go around.
          What's everyone else reading?

          All best
          Susan

          Message 4 of 16 , Jun 1, 2010
            I have just read a biography on Queen Wilhelmina of the Netherlands during her WWII years. Fascinating reading. I realised I don't know much about dutch history at all. In that vein I also took out a book about the marriage of Queen Juliana and Prince Bernhard during the years 1936 - 1956. Haven't started that yet though.
            I am now reading We shall not sleep by Anne Perry, the last of her WWI novels. I just love this series. It appeals to me on some deep level, maybe I was a nurse in the great war in one of my previous lifes, LOL
            But I am just fascinated with all that is WWI so this series is just my cup of tea. Also the understatement of the characters, just wonderful IMO.

            So far for now, don't have much time to read as I started a new job in May and it takes a lot of energy.

            Sophiene

            ________________________________

            Message 5 of 16 , Jun 1, 2010
              Sophiene -- If you like WWI books and you like character-driven mysteries, I trust you've tried Jacqueline Winspear's Masie Dobbs series. They are outstanding! Quite unique and with a real period feel. (and, for the record, I'm not a writer -- just a very enraptured reader <g>)

              Elizabeth

              ________________________________

              Message 6 of 16 , Jun 1, 2010
                Thanks for the thanks, folks. And you, Susan, are of course one of the shining examples of authors who play it just right on this list. We do want to hear when your books are coming out, but you add plenty more in reader feedback than you have ever come close to offering on self congratulation. And since we know you as a reader, we are especially happy when you've had some success!

                Is anyone else here (besides Shirley and Justin) going to be at the historical fiction group in London this month? It looks like I will probably be able to make it, and it would be fun to meet some more of you! The book is Wolf Hall, I believe.

                Hilary

                --- In histfict@yahoogroups.com, "Susan Hicks" <susan.hicks1@...> wrote:

                > Ditto what Sophiene said, Hilary, and I'm a writer!
                > Thank you! I'd almost e-mailed you a couple of times because I'd become so irritated.
                > There's another historical fiction list that I've abandoned as a reader because of all the self-promo.
                >
                > I've just started 31 Bond Street by Ellen Horan. A little bit jerky re the prose at the very beginning, but I'm settling in now.
                > I recently read an ARC of the Sourcebooks re-issue of Great Maria by Cecelia Holland and loved it all over again. I'm so glad this one's getting another go around.
                > What's everyone else reading?
                >
                > All best
                > Susan

              • Sophiene
                Message 7 of 16 , Jun 1, 2010
                  Thanks Elizabeth! I have heard about Masie Dobbs, but haven't read one yet. I'll go look for them....

                  Sophiene

                  ________________________________

                  Message 8 of 16 , Jun 1, 2010
                    Oh, I have heard good things about Wolf Hall. Definitely on my wish list :-)
                    Have fun in London.

                    Sophiene

                    ________________________________
                    Thanks for the thanks, folks. And you, Susan, are of course one of the shining examples of authors who play it just right on this list. We do want to hear when your books are coming out, but you add plenty more in reader feedback than you have ever come close to offering on self congratulation. And since we know you as a reader, we are especially happy when you've had some success!

                    Is anyone else here (besides Shirley and Justin) going to be at the historical fiction group in London this month? It looks like I will probably be able to make it, and it would be fun to meet some more of you! The book is Wolf Hall, I believe.

                    Hilary

                  • Jeanette Finan
                    Message 9 of 16 , Jun 1, 2010
                      I will second this recommendation of the Maise Dobbs series. They are very
                      good.

                      Jeanette

                      On Tue, Jun 1, 2010 at 12:51 PM, Sophiene <eiketske@...> wrote:

                      > Thanks Elizabeth! I have heard about Masie Dobbs, but haven't read one yet.
                      > I'll go look for them....
                      >
                      > Sophiene
                      >
                      > ________________________________

                      Jeanette
                      http://jeanette0605-jeanette.blogspot.com/

                    • Anne Gilbert

                        • JJMMcCann@aol.com
                          Message 12 of 16 , Jun 1, 2010
                            In a message dated 6/1/2010 1:05:05 P.M. Central Daylight Time,
                            jfinan@... writes:

                            I will second this recommendation of the Maise Dobbs series. They are
                            very
                            good.

                            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                            Jeanette, along the same lines is a series that begins with War Against
                            Miss Winter by Kathryn Miller Haines. I actually just got the fourth book in
                            the series for review and I'm already loving it. It's set in 1943 and right
                            now it's in NYC. I've already put the first 3 books on my pbs wishlist.

                            Tammy

                          • upscwru
                            Message 13 of 16 , Jun 1, 2010
                              Thanks for your understanding, Anne. You are not on moderate, so you must have impressed me at some point that you got the point. Thanks for participating!

                              Hilary

                              --- In histfict@yahoogroups.com, "Anne Gilbert" <avgilbert@...> wrote:

                              > Sophiene:
                              >
                              > I'm a writer, and would love to talk about what I'm writing -- where it's appropriate, that is-- But if we're all reading various books, and discussing various things about them, then it's definitely not the place to toot your horn about how wonderful your book is. On the other hand, it's pretty important for authors to get the word out about what they've written and published, so as to build some sort of readership. Obviously, this isn't the venue to do it in.
                              > Anne G
                              >

                              > Thank you Hilary, I didn't feel quite at home here anymore.
                              > I am just a reader who wants to talk about what I read, but didn't dare to anymore.
                              > Hope we can get a little more action again here.
                              >
                              > Sophiene
                              >
                              > ________________________________

                            • Anne Gilbert
                              Message 14 of 16 , Jun 1, 2010
                                Hilary:

                                Thanks for keeping me off moderation. And when my book gets finished and published, just warn me if I'm going overboard. I'll try not to.
                                Anne G

                                Thanks for your understanding, Anne. You are not on moderate, so you must have impressed me at some point that you got the point. Thanks for participating!

                                Hilary

                                --- In histfict@yahoogroups.com, "Anne Gilbert" <avgilbert@...> wrote:

                                > Sophiene:
                                >
                                > I'm a writer, and would love to talk about what I'm writing -- where it's appropriate, that is-- But if we're all reading various books, and discussing various things about them, then it's definitely not the place to toot your horn about how wonderful your book is. On the other hand, it's pretty important for authors to get the word out about what they've written and published, so as to build some sort of readership. Obviously, this isn't the venue to do it in.
                                > Anne G
                                >

                                > Thank you Hilary, I didn't feel quite at home here anymore.
                                > I am just a reader who wants to talk about what I read, but didn't dare to anymore.
                                > Hope we can get a little more action again here.
                                >
                                > Sophiene
                                >
                                > ________________________________

                              • Kilian Metcalf
                                Message 15 of 16 , Jun 1, 2010
                                  I was able to buy Wolf Hall for my Kindle when it was $9.99, and it is a
                                  great book! I hear she is writing a sequel and will buy that, too.

                                  I bought a dead-tree version of The Watermark by Vanitha Sankaran and
                                  enjoyed it. I wavered between Kindle and physical book, decided on book
                                  because of the back matter. I wasn't disappointed.

                                  Kilian in Tucson

                                  "There is an earned innocence, I believe,
                                  which is as much to be honored as the innocence of children."
                                  Gilead: A Novel by Marilynne Robinson

                                  On Tue, Jun 1, 2010 at 10:54 AM, Sophiene <eiketske@...> wrote:

                                  > Oh, I have heard good things about Wolf Hall. Definitely on my wish list
                                  > :-)
                                  > Have fun in London.
                                  >
                                  > Sophiene
                                  >
                                  > ________________________________

                                • pam thomas
                                  Message 16 of 16 , Jun 2, 2010
                                    Thank you, Hilary. I know that authors, especially non-established ones, are desperate to get their name 'out
                                    there' but they're hardly the most objective people when it comes to recommending their books!

                                    I've recently read 'Midnight never come' by Marie Brennan, which is a most interesting take on Elizabethan London,
                                    mirrored in Faerie land - not the sort of thing I usually read, but I gave it a go, and enjoyed it. Unfortunately I
                                    tried the second - this time set in Civil War and after - and couldn't get on with it at all. I think it's because
                                    by that time England was firmly on the path leading away from folklore and superstition towards scientific enquiry
                                    and fact, and the thought of all these fairies interfering in 'mortal' affairs just didn't ring true (and I do
                                    realise that for quite a lot of more realistic people, it'd *never* ring true, but I happily suspended disbelief for
                                    the first book!)

                                    I can thoroughly recommend 'Wolf Hall'. Best book I read last year, by a long way.

                                    Finally, Susan is probably reluctant to blow her own trumpet at present, but she has a new book out, 'To Defy a
                                    King'. I'm already on the (long) waiting list at the library!

                                    Pam

[...]

                                    So many books, so little time

                                    Visit Pipex Business: The homepage for UK Small Businesses

                                    Go to http://www.pipex.co.uk/business-services