Re: The House of Niccolo (was RE: [histfict] Presenting the ultimate action/adventure novel!)

  • scipionaugusto
    Message 1 of 19 , Mar 30, 2010
      Niccolo,  what do   you think of his son Henry? what about his grandfather the
      French viscount?   By the way, if you want to check out  other writers of this genre like Roberta Gellis, Miguel Zevaco series Pardillan,  , it is masterpiece of intrigue, deceit and suspense, for years swayed the French  audience , the newspaper in which such series were published experience  enormous sales publishing this kind of series., Mary Renault, Scott , there are amazing too!  and the Italian  Salgari series starting with  the first book,  Sandokan , fantastic , interracial love , politics, religion, cultures, war , survival, near escape,  hidden enemies

      the other series which start with Black Corsair and end a happy ending for the daughter of the Black Cosair and Morgan the governor of Jamaica,  and another series based in the adventures of the character of Duchess of Eboli, coded name Storm Captain , who disguised as a man, seek to reunite with her fiance who is fighting defending Venetian's interests   in Cypress ,   follow up with the fall of Famagousta, the  conflict between love and loyalty, religion and love, and climaxing after several books in the historical battle of Lepanto,  the counterpart of the Eleonor the Storm Captain was the equally beautiful brave and dangerous rival , Haradja, niece of Ali Pacha, great almirald of the Ottoman Empire, Haradja, hate Eleonor not only because she lost her fiance to her but because she fell in love with  Eleonor while Eleonor was disguised as a man.  Pretty intense and pretty risky subject for an audience almost two centuries ago.

      Salgari was able to paint duels in such fashion that you feel there watching the scenes in front of your eyes..
      There is another interesting characteristic about Salgari, he never visited India, or Latin America or the Middle East but he learned so much not only of the topography, geology , geography, of such parts of the world and he became an expert about customs and traditions just reading and learning from others than it is incredible how well and how accurate his portrait the settings of his novels.