Re:time travel/historical fiction

  • zyzth@aim.com
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 2, 2009
      From: "tim miller" <timbt@...>

      > In that vain someone mentioned 1633, I usually don't enjoy
      sciencefiction
      > but the time travel aspect was interesting. Any suggestions along
      that line.

      Jack Finney, Time & Again
      Connie Willis, Doomsday Book
    • s.skinner247@ntlworld.com
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 3, 2009
        Gosh, I'd forgotten about Jack Finney. I absolutely LOVE those books, they are wonderful, and so clever, with their use of photos and drawings to bring you absolutely into the time he's depicting. I prefer the first one, Time and Again, but the description in From Time to Time of the Titanic arriving in New York is wonderful.

        Shirley

        Message 3 of 6 , Sep 30, 2009
          My copy of An Echo in the Bone has just been delivered to me here in the office and all I want to do is dash home and curl up with it! It's huge!

          Shirley
          Doing the Happy Dance!
        • Sophiene
          Message 4 of 6 , Sep 30, 2009
            Yeah, me too, I read two pages last night before I fell into a coma (too busy at work these days)... Tonight I'll start over and hopefully have more time to spend on it.... YAY!!

            Sophiene

            ________________________________
            Message 5 of 6 , Sep 30, 2009
              Oh great heavens! It's not another turgid great ramble like the Fiery Cross
              is it? I couldn't finish it. I wanted to slap the Claire character so much
              it actually made me grumpy in real life! It's unfinished on the shelf in the
              bathroom because I'm still praying for someone to bugger Jamie again to
              liven it up! Hanging Roger hasn't done the trick...

              I quite enjoyed the first one, Cross Stitch, I seek out time slip where I
              can since that's what I'm writing... Hey ho! We live in hope.

              Charlie

              2009/9/30 <s.skinner247@...>

              > My copy of An Echo in the Bone has just been delivered to me here in the
              > office and all I want to do is dash home and curl up with it! It's huge!
              >
              > Shirley
              > Doing the Happy Dance!

            • annfes
              Message 6 of 6 , Sep 30, 2009
                I have not read a Gabaldon book since #2.  Once Claire and Jamie got together all the fun went out of it.

                "I carry from my mother's womb a fanatic's heart." -- William Butler Yeats