Re: Labyrinth

  • hiraeth2
    Message 1 of 15 , Feb 4, 2009
      I read Labyrinth on holiday and thought it was a fairly light read.
      As long as I didn't think about the historical detail too much I
      enjoyed it. I actually thought Kate Mosse's second book Sepulchre was
      better.

      Tracy-Anne

      --- In histfict@yahoogroups.com, "Hilary" <UPSCWRU@...> wrote:

      > Talk about resurrecting a thread, but I wanted to see if this book
      > had been discussed here yet. I'm reading it now (on my Kindle.
      > Yes, I will plug the device at any time.), and am halfway enjoying
      > it. I don't have nearly the depth of knowledge Susan obviously has
      > of the historical time period, but what's killing me is all of the
      > other language getting thrown in - what Susan references as the
      > italics. Generally the English is there, too. It is on just about
      > every page, and it is really distracting. Almost like someone is
      > trying to teach me French (but a historical version of it, I think)
      > in the story. The plot is okay and I am wondering how it
      resolves.
      > But things like the heroine (the one from the 1200s) leaving her
      > walled city on her own, feeling fine about it because she brought
      > her sword (which she hasn't picked up since her wedding 6 months
      > before - I know how fast my climbing muscles would atrophy, and
      that
      > was about two weeks!)... Seemed a bit unrealistic.
      >
      > So not a high recommendation from me, just too many bits to
      > distract. But not horrid, either.
      >
      > Hilary
      >
      > --- In histfict@yahoogroups.com, "Susan Hicks" <Susan.Hicks1@>
      > wrote:
      > >
      > > May I add my belated welcome to the group Trine,
      > >
      > > Re Labyrinth.
      > > I didn't get to the end to find out if it was unbelievable or not
      > because I was just too irritated. The historical errors got in my
      > way...13thCentury characters sitting on sofas for example and
      > talking about 'blackmail.' Drinking ale in 13thC South of France,
      > eating capsicums. The heroine in her 13thC mode was just a modern
      > woman in fancy dress. Also, the author has a propensity for using
      > italics on every single page. The visual of them kept pulling me
      > out of the story. It was like having a bad case of hiccups!! Not
      > for me this one.
      > > I'm currently reading The Exiled by Posie Graham Evans - anyone
      > else read this? It's about the mistress of Edward VI (I think it's
      > VI, Richard III's brother). Entertaining, but I'm wondering where
      > it's going. Elizabeth Woodeville is being portrayed in a slightly
      > different light to the norm!
      > >
      > > Best
      > > Susan

    • Melanie Anton
      Message 2 of 15 , Feb 4, 2009
        I've been toying with reading a Kate Mosse book but it sounds like
        Sepulchre is the one to read. Has anybody read Charles Palliser? I
        have Quincunx on my TBR pile.

        Melanie, who thinks Kate Mosse sounds like a gaunt supermodel.

        hiraeth2 wrote:

        >I read Labyrinth on holiday and thought it was a fairly light read.
        >As long as I didn't think about the historical detail too much I
        >enjoyed it. I actually thought Kate Mosse's second book Sepulchre was
        >better.
        >
        >Tracy-Anne

      • Hilary
        Message 3 of 15 , Feb 5, 2009
          I did read Quincunx a number of years ago (possibly on a
          recommendation from this list). Didn't stick with me as the best
          book ever.

          I searched this list's archives and found my posts related to it
          (remember everyone that this list has been around for more than 10
          years! You may find ideas, recommendations (or anti-
          recommendations) just by searching the archives for an author or
          title.):

          --- In histfict@yahoogroups.com, Melanie Anton <melormark@...> wrote:

          > I've been toying with reading a Kate Mosse book but it sounds like
          > Sepulchre is the one to read. Has anybody read Charles Palliser?
          > have Quincunx on my TBR pile.
          >
          > Melanie, who thinks Kate Mosse sounds like a gaunt supermodel.
          >
          > hiraeth2 wrote:
          >
          > >I read Labyrinth on holiday and thought it was a fairly light
          read.
          > >As long as I didn't think about the historical detail too much I
          > >enjoyed it. I actually thought Kate Mosse's second book Sepulchre
          was
          > >better.
          > >
          > >Tracy-Anne

        • Melanie Anton
          Message 4 of 15 , Feb 5, 2009
            Hilary,

            That is an excellent idea! I have used the search function for other
            groups when they've referred to something before I joined the group, but
            it hadn't occurred to me to look for books that may have been reviewed
            here. Thanks!!!

            Melanie

            Hilary wrote:

            >I did read Quincunx a number of years ago (possibly on a
            >recommendation from this list). Didn't stick with me as the best
            >book ever.
            >
            >I searched this list's archives and found my posts related to it
            >(remember everyone that this list has been around for more than 10
            >years! You may find ideas, recommendations (or anti-
            >recommendations) just by searching the archives for an author or
            >title.):

            >--- In histfict@yahoogroups.com, Melanie Anton <melormark@...> wrote:
            >

            >>I've been toying with reading a Kate Mosse book but it sounds like
            >>Sepulchre is the one to read. Has anybody read Charles Palliser?

            >>have Quincunx on my TBR pile.
            >>
            >>Melanie, who thinks Kate Mosse sounds like a gaunt supermodel.
            >>
            >>hiraeth2 wrote:
            >>

            >>>I read Labyrinth on holiday and thought it was a fairly light
            >>>

            >read.
            >

            >>>As long as I didn't think about the historical detail too much I
            >>>enjoyed it. I actually thought Kate Mosse's second book Sepulchre
            >>>

            >was
            >

            >>>better.
            >>>
            >>>Tracy-Anne

          • Charlie Farrow
            Message 5 of 15 , Feb 5, 2009
              Although not obviopusly pitched as such is a sequel to Labyrinth. If such
              things matter to you, it's best to read them in order!

              Charlie

              2009/2/4 Melanie Anton <melormark@...>

              > I've been toying with reading a Kate Mosse book but it sounds like
              > Sepulchre is the one to read. Has anybody read Charles Palliser? I
              > have Quincunx on my TBR pile.
              >
              > Melanie, who thinks Kate Mosse sounds like a gaunt supermodel.
              >

              > hiraeth2 wrote:
              >
              > >I read Labyrinth on holiday and thought it was a fairly light read.
              > >As long as I didn't think about the historical detail too much I
              > >enjoyed it. I actually thought Kate Mosse's second book Sepulchre was
              > >better.
              > >
              > >Tracy-Anne

            • Sophiene
              Message 6 of 15 , Feb 6, 2009
                I have read Quincunx many many years ago when it first came out in a dutch translation and I loved it. Haven't read it a second time, so I don't know if it stands up to the test of time and/or memory... :-))

                Sophiene

                ________________________________

                hiraeth2 wrote:

                >I read Labyrinth on holiday and thought it was a fairly light read.
                >As long as I didn't think about the historical detail too much I
                >enjoyed it. I actually thought Kate Mosse's second book Sepulchre was
                >better.
                >
                >Tracy-Anne

              • Sophiene
                Message 7 of 15 , Feb 6, 2009
                  That's how I read it too, Tracy-Anne and I enjoyed it. Haven't read the second one yet.

                  Sophiene