Correction - Historical romance (Mills & Boon)

  • Jen Black
    Message 1 of 2 , May 11 2:03 AM
      Some niggling doubt made me look at my reply again and I see I somehow
      managed to delete not a word but a whole chunk out of the middle of my
      response. I know I was in a hurry, but really I should have been more
      careful!
      Here is the whole thing, as I fondly imagined it to be:
      "Carolyn, just look it up yourself on the Mills & Boon website. If you
      followed trhe link it would no doubt take you there! I am not aiming at
      Harlequin for several reasons - they are probably inundated with American
      writers anyway, so why would they select an English one, then there's the
      cost of postage, and I don't think I write in what I think of as the
      American style. I don't doubt that you feel the same, in an opposite sort of
      way, but I can spot an American writing Regency in a flash. There's a
      different tone, a different expectation, - not to mention the difference in
      word use and sometimes a woeful understanding of UK geography! I don't aim
      for the Harlequin market per se, as I know little of American history,
      though I understand that some stories are published in both." The last line
      doesn't really express what I wanted to say, either - I was toying with the
      idea of writing something set in America, but don't think I could do it as I
      don't know enough about American history, nor the speech patterns of Boston
      or other US cities. I shall stick to writing UK history, submitting to
      Richmond and hoping for acceptance and perhaps, if I'm really lucky,
      simultaneous publication in both countries!

      Jen ( who won't try and rush off a post in future!)I

    • Jen Black
      Message 2 of 2 , May 11 2:18 AM
        And now I have compounded errors by sending the post to the wrong group!
        Apologies - please delete and ignore!
        Jen