Re: re The Plague

  • Linda
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 3 2:11 PM
      Another good plague title is A Parcel of Patterns by Jill Paton
      Walsh. Based on a true story from Eyam, England, and though it's
      categorized for young adults, it's just as good for old ones!
      Review:http://yourehistory.wordpress.com/2007/08/04/historical-fiction-a-parcel-of-patterns/
    • Jo Kirkham
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 3 3:35 PM
        This is a good book. Eyam is an interesting place - my husband's cousin
        lives there.

        Look up Eyam - plague on Google and there's lots about it.

        Jo

        Another good plague title is A Parcel of Patterns by Jill Paton
        Walsh. Based on a true story from Eyam, England, and though it's
        categorized for young adults, it's just as good for old ones!
        Review:http://yourehistory.wordpress.com/2007/08/04/historical-fiction-a-p
        arcel-of-patterns/

        Checked by AVG Free Edition.
        14:22

      • hiraeth2
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 4 12:11 AM
          Year of Wonder, which is also about the plague in Eyam, is worth
          reading too. The ending however requires much suspension of disbelief!

          Tracy-Anne

          --- In histfict@yahoogroups.com, "Jo Kirkham" <jo@...> wrote:

          > This is a good book. Eyam is an interesting place - my husband's
          cousin
          > lives there.
          >
          > Look up Eyam - plague on Google and there's lots about it.
          >
          > Jo
          >

          > Another good plague title is A Parcel of Patterns by Jill Paton
          > Walsh. Based on a true story from Eyam, England, and though it's
          > categorized for young adults, it's just as good for old ones!
          > Review:http://yourehistory.wordpress.com/2007/08/04/historical-
          fiction-a-p
          > arcel-of-patterns/

          > Checked by AVG Free Edition.
          02/08/2007
          > 14:22

        • Anne Gilbert
          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 4 8:52 PM
            Linda:

            It's been my recent experience that many books marketed as being for
            "young adults" are actually extremely well-written, often better than
            some fiction supposedly /*for */adults! The Harry Potter series is a
            case in point(though not historical). There are plenty of others.
            Anne G

            Linda wrote:

            > Another good plague title is A Parcel of Patterns by Jill Paton
            > Walsh. Based on a true story from Eyam, England, and though it's
            > categorized for young adults, it's just as good for old ones!
            > Review:http://yourehistory.wordpress.com/2007/08/04/historical-fiction-a-parcel-of-patterns/
            > <http://yourehistory.wordpress.com/2007/08/04/historical-fiction-a-parcel-of-patterns/>

            > ---
            > Virus Database (VPS): 000763-5, 08/05/2007
            > Tested on: 8/4/2007 7:58:44 PM

            ---
            Virus Database (VPS): 000763-5, 08/05/2007
            Tested on: 8/4/2007 8:52:44 PM

          • Linda
            Message 5 of 5 , Aug 5 2:16 PM
              Yes, Anne, you're so right. Another good example is The Witch of
              Blackbird Pond by Elizabeth George Speare.
              --- In histfict@yahoogroups.com, Anne Gilbert <avgilbert@...> wrote:

              > Linda:
              >
              > It's been my recent experience that many books marketed as being for
              > "young adults" are actually extremely well-written, often better than
              > some fiction supposedly /*for */adults! The Harry Potter series is a
              > case in point(though not historical). There are plenty of others.
              > Anne G
              >
              > Linda wrote:
              > >
              > > Another good plague title is A Parcel of Patterns by Jill Paton
              > > Walsh. Based on a true story from Eyam, England, and though it's
              > > categorized for young adults, it's just as good for old ones!

              Review:http://yourehistory.wordpress.com/2007/08/04/historical-fiction-a-parcel-of-patterns/

              <http://yourehistory.wordpress.com/2007/08/04/historical-fiction-a-parcel-of-patterns/>

              8/4/2007 2:42 PM