What I'm reading

  • Jani
    Message 1 of 16 , May 1, 2007
      I'm reading an excellent book by a new author from England, Vanora
      Bennett, called Portrait of an Unknown Woman. It centers on Thomas
      More's adopted daughter Margaret Giggs and it's written mostly in first
      person through Meg's eyes. Lots of surprising theories about Richard
      III, the two princes, More, and Hans Holbein (who plays an important
      role in the book). Very well written and it's been a lot of fun to read.

      Jani
    • Kim Gelderman
      Message 2 of 16 , May 1, 2007
        Jani,

        Isn't PORTRAIT OF AN UNKNOWN WOMAN by Vanora Bennett also set against
        the turmoil, intrigue and, tragedy of Henry VIII's court? I saw it at
        my local Barnes & Noble a couple of weeks ago and thought it looked very
        interesting. I've since put it on my Amazon.com Wish List to buy later,
        hopefully when it's on sale. I'm usually not into anything connected
        with Henry VIII but since I've started watching THE TUDORS series on
        cable (Showtime) I've become intrigued by the younger, athletic and
        charismatic Henry VIII played by Jonathan Rhys Meyers. He isn't what
        one would normally expect Henry to look like but all of the famous
        portraits of him are when he's older, fatter, etc. I also love Sam
        Neill as Cardinal Wosley. I additionally feel great sympathy with
        Katherine of Aragon for the way Henry treated her but don't really like
        the character much. She looks so much older than Henry. Have you seen
        any episodes?

        I just finished two superb books NO DARK PLACE & THE POISONED SERPENT by
        Joan Wolf. They're both mysteries and there was to be a series but as
        Joan Wolf quoted me when I asked if there would be more: "I'm sorry to
        have to report that my publisher canceled the Hugh deLeon series -
        apparently it did not sell well enough to suit them. The Road to Avalon
        is being republished this May..." My other favorites are her Dark Ages
        series and are: THE ROAD TO AVALON, BORN OF THE SUN & THE EDGE OF LIGHT.
        Have you read any of her novels?

        Kim
        :-)

        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~`
        I'm reading an excellent book by a new author from England, Vanora
        Bennett, called Portrait of an Unknown Woman. It centers on Thomas
        More's adopted daughter Margaret Giggs and it's written mostly in first
        person through Meg's eyes. Lots of surprising theories about Richard
        III, the two princes, More, and Hans Holbein (who plays an important
        role in the book). Very well written and it's been a lot of fun to read.

        Jani

      • Susan Hicks
        Message 3 of 16 , May 2, 2007
          Jani wrote:

          I'm reading an excellent book by a new author from England, Vanora
          Bennett, called Portrait of an Unknown Woman. It centers on Thomas
          More's adopted daughter Margaret Giggs and it's written mostly in first
          person through Meg's eyes. Lots of surprising theories about Richard
          III, the two princes, More, and Hans Holbein (who plays an important
          role in the book). Very well written and it's been a lot of fun to read.

          Hi Jani,

          I think this one was longlisted for the UK's best romantic novel of the year award. Didn't make the shortlist, but there was quite a buzz about it at the time. I've got it on my 'to look at' list.

          Best
          Susan

          Recent Activity
          a.. 2New Members
          Visit Your Group
          a.. Historical fiction books
          b.. Historical fiction
          c.. Genre magazine
          d.. Film genres
          Like Dancing?
          Win $50,000!

          Enter the Extra

          Dance-Off on Bix!

          Yahoo! News
          US News

          Get the latest

          national news now

          Yahoo! TV
          "The 9"

          Daily count down

          of top Web finds.
          .

        • Susan Hicks
          Message 4 of 16 , May 2, 2007
            Kim wrote:

            I just finished two superb books NO DARK PLACE & THE POISONED SERPENT by Joan Wolf.

            I enjoyed the writing style of these but kept being pulled out of the story by anachronisms and wrong historical detail. I suppose if I wasn't well versed in the Middle Ages I'd have enjoyed them better because I wouldn't have kept being distracted. I haven't read a historical for several books now, so it's probably about time I picked up another one. I can feel a trawl of Amazon coming on :-)

            Best

            Susan

            [
            Recent Activity
            a.. 1New Members
            Visit Your Group
            a.. Historical fiction books
            b.. Historical fiction
            c.. Genre magazine
            d.. Film genres
            Yahoo! Movies
            Enter your spoof

            and you could win

            an MTV Movie Award

            Yahoo! News
            Top Stories

            Get the current

            top news stories

            Yahoo! TV
            "The 9"

            Daily count down

            of top Web finds.
            .

          • Jani
            Message 5 of 16 , May 2, 2007
              Yes, but that seems to be mostly in the background of the story. It
              directly affects the characters, but is not actually set in the court.

              Jani

              --- In histfict@yahoogroups.com, "Kim Gelderman" <gelderman85@...>
              wrote:

              > Jani,
              >
              > Isn't PORTRAIT OF AN UNKNOWN WOMAN by Vanora Bennett also set
              against
              > the turmoil, intrigue and, tragedy of Henry VIII's court? I saw it
              at
              > my local Barnes & Noble a couple of weeks ago and thought it looked
              very
              > interesting. I've since put it on my Amazon.com Wish List to buy
              later,
              > hopefully when it's on sale. I'm usually not into anything
              connected
              > with Henry VIII but since I've started watching THE TUDORS series on
              > cable (Showtime) I've become intrigued by the younger, athletic and
              > charismatic Henry VIII played by Jonathan Rhys Meyers. He isn't
              what
              > one would normally expect Henry to look like but all of the famous
              > portraits of him are when he's older, fatter, etc. I also love Sam
              > Neill as Cardinal Wosley. I additionally feel great sympathy with
              > Katherine of Aragon for the way Henry treated her but don't really
              like
              > the character much. She looks so much older than Henry. Have you
              seen
              > any episodes?
              >
              > I just finished two superb books NO DARK PLACE & THE POISONED
              SERPENT by
              > Joan Wolf. They're both mysteries and there was to be a series but
              as
              > Joan Wolf quoted me when I asked if there would be more: "I'm
              sorry to
              > have to report that my publisher canceled the Hugh deLeon series -
              > apparently it did not sell well enough to suit them. The Road to
              Avalon
              > is being republished this May..." My other favorites are her Dark
              Ages
              > series and are: THE ROAD TO AVALON, BORN OF THE SUN & THE EDGE OF
              LIGHT.
              > Have you read any of her novels?
              >
              > Kim
              > :-)
              >
              > ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~`
              > I'm reading an excellent book by a new author from England, Vanora
              > Bennett, called Portrait of an Unknown Woman. It centers on Thomas
              > More's adopted daughter Margaret Giggs and it's written mostly in
              first
              > person through Meg's eyes. Lots of surprising theories about
              Richard
              > III, the two princes, More, and Hans Holbein (who plays an
              important
              > role in the book). Very well written and it's been a lot of fun to
              read.

              > Jani

            • sweetpotatoboy
              Message 6 of 16 , May 2, 2007
                I've heard about that book too. As far as I can recall, the reviews
                were very favourable.

                I'm currently reading The Red Tent by Anita Diamant. About a third of
                the way in. Previous book was non-fiction: biography of Genghis Khan by
                John Man.

                Justin

                Message 7 of 16 , May 2, 2007
                  Susan, Jani & the rest of the group,

                  I'm usually not into anything connected with Henry VIII but since I've
                  started watching THE TUDORS series on cable (Showtime) I've become
                  intrigued by the younger, athletic and charismatic Henry VIII played by
                  Jonathan Rhys Meyers. He isn't what one would normally expect Henry to
                  look like but all of the famous portraits of him are when he's older,
                  fatter, etc. I also love Sam Neill as Cardinal Wosley and I feel great
                  sympathy with Katherine of Aragon for the way Henry treated her but
                  don't really like the character much. She looks so much older than
                  Henry. Have any of you seen any episodes?

                  I just finished two superb books NO DARK PLACE & THE POISONED SERPENT by
                  Joan Wolf. They're both mysteries and there was to be a series but as
                  Joan Wolf quoted me when I asked if there would be more: "I'm sorry to
                  have to report that my publisher canceled the Hugh deLeon series -
                  apparently it did not sell well enough to suit them. The Road to Avalon
                  is being republished this May..." I guess I enjoy her writing style. I
                  do know something about the middle ages, however, I guess I'm just not
                  looking for errors but when I do find them I mentally note them and move
                  on and enjoy the story. I feel the plots of these two books rose above
                  any errors to provide a genuinely intense medieval mystery. My other
                  favorites are her Dark Ages series and are: THE ROAD TO AVALON, BORN OF
                  THE SUN & THE EDGE OF LIGHT. Have any of you read these or any of her
                  other novels?

                  Kim
                  :-)

                • Jani
                  Message 8 of 16 , May 2, 2007
                    I read the Road to Avalon and the other two you listed and enjoyed
                    them. I like her writing style. I have no knowledge of the period she
                    wrote about (Alfred, etc.) so have no idea how historically accurate
                    they were, but I liked the stories a lot.

                    wrote:

                    > Susan, Jani & the rest of the group,
                    >
                    > I'm usually not into anything connected with Henry VIII but since
                    I've
                    > started watching THE TUDORS series on cable (Showtime) I've become
                    > intrigued by the younger, athletic and charismatic Henry VIII
                    played by
                    > Jonathan Rhys Meyers. He isn't what one would normally expect
                    Henry to
                    > look like but all of the famous portraits of him are when he's
                    older,
                    > fatter, etc. I also love Sam Neill as Cardinal Wosley and I feel
                    great
                    > sympathy with Katherine of Aragon for the way Henry treated her but
                    > don't really like the character much. She looks so much older than
                    > Henry. Have any of you seen any episodes?
                    >
                    > I just finished two superb books NO DARK PLACE & THE POISONED
                    SERPENT by
                    > Joan Wolf. They're both mysteries and there was to be a series but
                    as
                    > Joan Wolf quoted me when I asked if there would be more: "I'm
                    sorry to
                    > have to report that my publisher canceled the Hugh deLeon series -
                    > apparently it did not sell well enough to suit them. The Road to
                    Avalon
                    > is being republished this May..." I guess I enjoy her writing
                    style. I
                    > do know something about the middle ages, however, I guess I'm just
                    not
                    > looking for errors but when I do find them I mentally note them and
                    move
                    > on and enjoy the story. I feel the plots of these two books rose
                    above
                    > any errors to provide a genuinely intense medieval mystery. My
                    other
                    > favorites are her Dark Ages series and are: THE ROAD TO AVALON,
                    BORN OF
                    > THE SUN & THE EDGE OF LIGHT. Have any of you read these or any of
                    her
                    > other novels?
                    >
                    > Kim
                    > :-)

                  • Jani
                    Message 9 of 16 , May 2, 2007
                      And no, I don't get HBO, so haven't seen the series yet. I'll have to
                      wait for the dvds like I did with Elizabeth!

                      wrote:

                      > Susan, Jani & the rest of the group,
                      >
                      > I'm usually not into anything connected with Henry VIII but since
                      I've
                      > started watching THE TUDORS series on cable (Showtime) I've become
                      > intrigued by the younger, athletic and charismatic Henry VIII
                      played by
                      > Jonathan Rhys Meyers. He isn't what one would normally expect
                      Henry to
                      > look like but all of the famous portraits of him are when he's
                      older,
                      > fatter, etc. I also love Sam Neill as Cardinal Wosley and I feel
                      great
                      > sympathy with Katherine of Aragon for the way Henry treated her but
                      > don't really like the character much. She looks so much older than
                      > Henry. Have any of you seen any episodes?
                      >
                      > I just finished two superb books NO DARK PLACE & THE POISONED
                      SERPENT by
                      > Joan Wolf. They're both mysteries and there was to be a series but
                      as
                      > Joan Wolf quoted me when I asked if there would be more: "I'm
                      sorry to
                      > have to report that my publisher canceled the Hugh deLeon series -
                      > apparently it did not sell well enough to suit them. The Road to
                      Avalon
                      > is being republished this May..." I guess I enjoy her writing
                      style. I
                      > do know something about the middle ages, however, I guess I'm just
                      not
                      > looking for errors but when I do find them I mentally note them and
                      move
                      > on and enjoy the story. I feel the plots of these two books rose
                      above
                      > any errors to provide a genuinely intense medieval mystery. My
                      other
                      > favorites are her Dark Ages series and are: THE ROAD TO AVALON,
                      BORN OF
                      > THE SUN & THE EDGE OF LIGHT. Have any of you read these or any of
                      her
                      > other novels?
                      >
                      > Kim
                      > :-)

                    • Hilary
                      Message 10 of 16 , May 2, 2007
                        I was able to watch the first two episodes of The Tudors on a Free
                        Movies On Demand channel with my new digital cable. I don't
                        subscribe to Showtime, so that was pretty cool. It was killing me
                        where I'd seen the actor before - when I looked him up, I realized
                        he was the gorgeous coach in "Bend it Like Beckham." In case it's
                        been bugging anyone else...

                        I've got The Tudors already in my Netflix queue for when it comes
                        out on DVD. Thankfully I got to watch Rome live because my
                        boyfriend subscribes to HBO.

                        --- In histfict@yahoogroups.com, "Jani" <vger4@...> wrote:

                        > And no, I don't get HBO, so haven't seen the series yet. I'll have
                        > wait for the dvds like I did with Elizabeth!
                        >
                        > Jani
                        >
                        > --- In histfict@yahoogroups.com, "Kim Gelderman" <gelderman85@>
                        > wrote:
                        > >
                        > > Susan, Jani & the rest of the group,
                        > >
                        > > I'm usually not into anything connected with Henry VIII but
                        since
                        > I've
                        > > started watching THE TUDORS series on cable (Showtime) I've
                        become
                        > > intrigued by the younger, athletic and charismatic Henry VIII
                        > played by
                        > > Jonathan Rhys Meyers. He isn't what one would normally expect
                        > Henry to
                        > > look like but all of the famous portraits of him are when he's
                        > older,
                        > > fatter, etc. I also love Sam Neill as Cardinal Wosley and I
                        feel
                        > great
                        > > sympathy with Katherine of Aragon for the way Henry treated her
                        but
                        > > don't really like the character much. She looks so much older
                        than
                        > > Henry. Have any of you seen any episodes?
                        > >
                        > > I just finished two superb books NO DARK PLACE & THE POISONED
                        > SERPENT by
                        > > Joan Wolf. They're both mysteries and there was to be a series
                        but
                        > as
                        > > Joan Wolf quoted me when I asked if there would be more: "I'm
                        > sorry to
                        > > have to report that my publisher canceled the Hugh deLeon
                        series -
                        > > apparently it did not sell well enough to suit them. The Road
                        > Avalon
                        > > is being republished this May..." I guess I enjoy her writing
                        > style. I
                        > > do know something about the middle ages, however, I guess I'm
                        just
                        > not
                        > > looking for errors but when I do find them I mentally note them
                        and
                        > move
                        > > on and enjoy the story. I feel the plots of these two books
                        rose
                        > above
                        > > any errors to provide a genuinely intense medieval mystery. My
                        > other
                        > > favorites are her Dark Ages series and are: THE ROAD TO AVALON,
                        > BORN OF
                        > > THE SUN & THE EDGE OF LIGHT. Have any of you read these or any
                        of
                        > her
                        > > other novels?
                        > >
                        > > Kim
                        > > :-)

                      • Angela Martin
                        Message 11 of 16 , May 2, 2007
                          I have been watching The Tudors. It is very well done. The costumes are
                          amazing!
                          Johnathan Rhys Meyers is the actor playing Henry VIII, he is doing a great
                          job. There are some details that they have combined, like Henry had 2
                          sisters Mary and Margaret, and in this series they combined her into one
                          character. I guess there will be a season 2 of the show.

                          On 5/2/07, Hilary <UPSCWRU@...> wrote:

> [...]
                          > > > apparently it did not sell well enough to suit them. The Road
                          > > Avalon
                          > > > is being republished this May..." I guess I enjoy her writing
                          > > style. I
                          > > > do know something about the middle ages, however, I guess I'm
                          > just
                          > > not
                          > > > looking for errors but when I do find them I mentally note them
                          > and
                          > > move
                          > > > on and enjoy the story. I feel the plots of these two books
                          > rose
                          > > above
                          > > > any errors to provide a genuinely intense medieval mystery. My
                          > > other
                          > > > favorites are her Dark Ages series and are: THE ROAD TO AVALON,
                          > > BORN OF
                          > > > THE SUN & THE EDGE OF LIGHT. Have any of you read these or any

                          "I can't steal from the fairly well off and give to the moderately
                          impoverished. It is going to bugger my myth up!"

                          -Eddie Izzard on Robin Hood

                          http://www.flickr.com/photos/theatregirl25/
                          http://crafty-theatre-girl.blogspot.com/

                        • Gilda Felt
                          Message 12 of 16 , May 3, 2007
                            --- Kim Gelderman <gelderman85@...> wrote:

                            > I just finished two superb books NO DARK PLACE & THE
                            > POISONED SERPENT by
                            > Joan Wolf. They're both mysteries and there was to
                            > be a series but as
                            > Joan Wolf quoted me when I asked if there would be
                            > more: "I'm sorry to
                            > have to report that my publisher canceled the Hugh
                            > deLeon series -
                            > apparently it did not sell well enough to suit them.
                            > The Road to Avalon
                            > is being republished this May..." My other
                            > favorites are her Dark Ages
                            > series and are: THE ROAD TO AVALON, BORN OF THE SUN
                            > & THE EDGE OF LIGHT.
                            > Have you read any of her novels?
                            >
                            > Kim
                            > :-)

                            I love her books. I haven't read the two mysteries yet
                            (they're in my "to read" stack,) but it's still
                            disappointing to hear there won't be more. Anything by
                            Wolf is worth reading.

                            Gilda
                          • Eiketske
                            Message 13 of 16 , May 3, 2007
                              I loved the Red Tent !!
                              I am now looking for a good book. I am head of registration of a big education conference on Aruba and am working 14 hour days at the moment.
                              I want something light and easy, just a few lines before falling into a coma, to get up the next day and do it all again, LOL
                              Sophiene

                              I've heard about that book too. As far as I can recall, the reviews
                              were very favourable.

                              I'm currently reading The Red Tent by Anita Diamant. About a third of
                              the way in. Previous book was non-fiction: biography of Genghis Khan by
                              John Man.

                              Justin

                              > I'm reading an excellent book by a new author from England, Vanora
                              > Bennett, called Portrait of an Unknown Woman. It centers on Thomas
                              > More's adopted daughter Margaret Giggs and it's written mostly in
                              first person through Meg's eyes. Lots of surprising theories about
                              Richard III, the two princes, More, and Hans Holbein (who plays an
                              important role in the book). Very well written and it's been a lot of
                              fun to read.

                            • Jeanette
                              Message 14 of 16 , May 18, 2007
                                My other
                                > favorites are her Dark Ages series and are: THE ROAD TO AVALON, BORN
                                OF THE SUN & THE EDGE OF LIGHT. Have any of you read these or any of
                                her other novels?

                                > Kim
                                > :-)

                                These are favorites of mine as well. I am delighted to hear that The
                                Road to Avalon is being reissued. I hope that the Born of he Sun and
                                The Edge of Light will quickly follow. I wrote to Joan Wolf and asked
                                her that if they ever were reissued would she include some kind of map
                                of where the events happened and she said that she would try. These
                                books started my interest in this period of history.

                                Jeanette