Re: [histfict] Re: current reads

  • Alissa Damiri
    Message 1 of 20 , Dec 2, 2006
      This is the first book I'm reading after nearly half a year: "Confession of
      a Shopaholic" by Sophie Kinsella. Definitely not historical fiction but I
      think ANY book is better than none. I'm not sure why, but lately I don't
      feel like reading. I keep buying books, but always find excuses to putting
      of reading them. Besides, my sisters are raving about the Shopaholic
      series, so I finally gave in and gave it a try. I had to wrap it with thick
      brown paper so when I read it in public places, no one can notice the bright
      pink cover. I'm nearly halfway and I like it! It's quite funny! I think my
      passion for books is back and after Shopaholic, I'm going to read "Gai-Jin"
      by James Clavell, which has been collecting dust for years.

      Alissa in Indonesia

      On 12/1/06, Justin N <sweetpotatoboy@...> wrote:

      > >I found 'A Hollow Crown' rather slow going in places, too, so you're
      > not the only one. Interesting period of history, though, and I did
      > enjoy the read. I'll be interested to hear what you think of it when
      > you've finished it.
      > -Carla
      >
      > Oh that's good to know, Carla. This was the first time with one of Helen's
      > books that it didn't grab me from the beginning. But I'm about halfway
      > into
      > it and it's better. I also have a non-fiction book on Queen Emma that I
      > bought recently which I might read after the novel, though probably not
      > immediately.
      >
      > Justin

    • Gilda Felt
      Message 2 of 20 , Dec 2, 2006
        Alissa Damiri wrote:

        >I think my
        >passion for books is back and after Shopaholic, I'm going to read "Gai-Jin"
        >by James Clavell, which has been collecting dust for years.
        >
        >Alissa in Indonesia

        That's a fantastic book. Actually, the only one of the series I couldn't
        seem to get into was "Whirlwind."

        Gilda
      • wendy
        Message 3 of 20 , Dec 4, 2006
          I like the Shopaholic books...lean towards chick-lit when I'm in that I don't feel like reading mood either and I don't bother to hide the cover. These books are huge sellers!
          Wendy

          This is the first book I'm reading after nearly half a year: "Confession of
          a Shopaholic" by Sophie Kinsella. Definitely not historical fiction but I
          think ANY book is better than none. I'm not sure why, but lately I don't
          feel like reading. I keep buying books, but always find excuses to putting
          of reading them. Besides, my sisters are raving about the Shopaholic
          series, so I finally gave in and gave it a try. I had to wrap it with thick
          brown paper so when I read it in public places, no one can notice the bright
          pink cover. I'm nearly halfway and I like it! It's quite funny! I think my
          passion for books is back and after Shopaholic, I'm going to read "Gai-Jin"
          by James Clavell, which has been collecting dust for years.

          Alissa in Indonesia

          On 12/1/06, Justin N <sweetpotatoboy@...> wrote:

          > >I found 'A Hollow Crown' rather slow going in places, too, so you're
          > not the only one. Interesting period of history, though, and I did
          > enjoy the read. I'll be interested to hear what you think of it when
          > you've finished it.
          > -Carla
          >
          > Oh that's good to know, Carla. This was the first time with one of Helen's
          > books that it didn't grab me from the beginning. But I'm about halfway
          > into
          > it and it's better. I also have a non-fiction book on Queen Emma that I
          > bought recently which I might read after the novel, though probably not
          > immediately.
          >
          > Justin

        • hiraeth2
          Message 4 of 20 , Dec 5, 2006
            Haven't read those but did enjoy The Undomestic Goddess by the same
            author!

            Tracy-Anne

            --- In histfict@yahoogroups.com, "wendy" <ukhrh@...> wrote:

            > I like the Shopaholic books...lean towards chick-lit when I'm in
            that I don't feel like reading mood either and I don't bother to hide
            the cover. These books are huge sellers!
            > Wendy

          • Alissa Damiri
            Message 5 of 20 , Dec 9, 2006
              Just finished "Can You Keep a Secret?" and been wondering should I buy
              "Undomesticated Goddes", now I think I'll buy it. Thanks, Tracy-Anne!

              Alissa in Indonesia

              On 12/5/06, hiraeth2 <hiraeth2@...> wrote:

              > Haven't read those but did enjoy The Undomestic Goddess by the same
              > author!
              >
              > Tracy-Anne
              >
              > --- In histfict@yahoogroups.com <histfict%40yahoogroups.com>, "wendy"
              > <ukhrh@...> wrote:
              > >
              > > I like the Shopaholic books...lean towards chick-lit when I'm in
              > that I don't feel like reading mood either and I don't bother to hide
              > the cover. These books are huge sellers!
              > > Wendy

            • Sophiene
              Message 6 of 20 , Dec 11, 2006
                Sometimes you just need a fluffy book for in between. I also liked the
                shopaholic books. I am now reading 'Locked rooms' by Laurie R. King. I
                like it a lot. Will be on the lookout for the other ones in the
                series. That's made easier now I have found another carrier that is
                cheaper than the previous one I had for shipping books to Aruba.

                Sophiene on Aruba

                --- In histfict@yahoogroups.com, "Alissa Damiri" <alissadamiri@...>