What are you currently reading?

  • ElectaBlue
    Message 1 of 20 , Apr 3, 2006
      Since it has been so quiet lately, I decided to post my most recent
      reads:

      1. The Tattoo Artist by Jill Ciment-I read this on the
      recommendation of the Historical Novel Society and really enjoyed
      it. It is the story of the daughter of a Jewish immigrant family in
      1930's New York. She becomes an artist and when her boyfriend loses
      his income during the stock market crash they head to the South
      Pacific to buy masks for a friend's collection. They end up
      stranded on the island until the 1970s when Time
      magazine "discovers" Sara and she returns to New York.

      2. The Alchemist's Daughter by Katherine McMahon-This is another
      one recommended by the Historical novel society that I also really
      enjoyed. Emilie Selden spends her entire life cloistered at her
      father's home in 18th century Buckinghamshire, where he trains her
      as a scientist. Her upbringing leaves her vulnerable to the first
      handsome man to come along and she marries him and moves to London.
      It sounds like a typical romance plot, but it is far more than that.

      3. In the Company of the Courtesan by Sarah Dunant- I enjoyed her
      first historical novel, Birth of Venus, but I think this one was
      even better.

      4. Night Watch by Sarah Waters-I am about half way finished and I am
      enjoying it, but definitely not Fingersmith, which is by far her
      best novel.

      Lisa in Texas
    • Aarti
      Message 2 of 20 , Apr 3, 2006
        Lisa in Texas wrote:

        > 2. The Alchemist's Daughter by Katherine McMahon-This is another
        > one recommended by the Historical novel society that I also really
        > enjoyed. Emilie Selden spends her entire life cloistered at her
        > father's home in 18th century Buckinghamshire, where he trains her
        > as a scientist. Her upbringing leaves her vulnerable to the first
        > handsome man to come along and she marries him and moves to London.
        > It sounds like a typical romance plot, but it is far more than that.
        >
        > 3. In the Company of the Courtesan by Sarah Dunant- I enjoyed her
        > first historical novel, Birth of Venus, but I think this one was
        > even better.

        I have both of these on my TBR list, and the Dunant one will be
        arriving very soon, I think :-)

        I'm currently reading Mary Stewart's The Crystal Cave, the first book
        in her Arthurian saga. It's very, very good! At least, the first 50
        pages are good :-)

        Aarti
      • Michelle Rautio
        Message 3 of 20 , Apr 3, 2006
          I finished The Crystal Cave a few weeks ago and it was fantastic! I hope
          you enjoy it. Right now I¹m reading The Book of Eleanor by Pamela Kaufman.

        • Kim Gelderman
          Message 4 of 20 , Apr 3, 2006
            I just finished “The Anvil Stone (Macsen’s Treasure, Book 3)” by
            Kathleen Cunningham Guler. It’s about Pre-Arthur Britain (actually in
            this book he is just born towards the end). There’s only one book left
            in this series to read and Kathleen is working on it. I’ll be very sad
            to see it end. It’s a wonderful series. I’m currently reading “The
            Banners of Alba” by Jen Black. This one is about Thorfinn, Finlay, King
            Malcolm, Prince Duncan and a cast of many others. I loved Mary
            Stewart’s Arthurian series and all of those books are of the same superb
            caliber!

            Kim
            :-)

            Message 5 of 20 , Apr 3, 2006
              --- In histfict@yahoogroups.com, Michelle Rautio <whistlewind@...> wrote:

              > I finished The Crystal Cave a few weeks ago and it was fantastic! I
              hope
              > you enjoy it.

              Great to hear! It had been sitting on my shelf for a long time, and
              as I couldn't get into Jude Morgan's Passion last night, I switched to
              that one and got into it immediately! Did you read The Hollow Hills
              and The Last Enchantment as well?

              > Right now I¹m reading The Book of Eleanor by Pamela Kaufman.

              I had that one at home for a while, but never got to it, so I gave it
              to the library. Let me know if I made a mistake ;-)

              Aarti
            • Aarti
              Message 6 of 20 , Apr 3, 2006
                --- In histfict@yahoogroups.com, "Kim Gelderman" <gelderman85@...> wrote:

                > I just finished "The Anvil Stone (Macsen's Treasure, Book 3)" by
                > Kathleen Cunningham Guler. It's about Pre-Arthur Britain (actually in
                > this book he is just born towards the end). There's only one book left
                > in this series to read and Kathleen is working on it. I'll be very sad
                > to see it end. It's a wonderful series.

                I just added the first book in this series to my wishlist at Amazon,
                Kim. Thanks for the recommendation!

                I'm currently reading "The
                > Banners of Alba" by Jen Black. This one is about Thorfinn, Finlay, King
                > Malcolm, Prince Duncan and a cast of many others.

                Thorfinn being MacBeth? Or someone else?

                I loved Mary
                > Stewart's Arthurian series and all of those books are of the same superb
                > caliber!

                Wow, I am so glad to hear this! I should have read them way back when
                I got them!

                Aarti
              • Kim Gelderman
                Message 7 of 20 , Apr 3, 2006
                  It's just Thorfinn being himself.

                  Kim
                  :-)

                  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

                  I'm currently reading "The
                  > Banners of Alba" by Jen Black. This one is about Thorfinn, Finlay,
                  King
                  > Malcolm, Prince Duncan and a cast of many others.

                  Thorfinn being MacBeth? Or someone else?

                  Aarti

                • Jani
                  Message 8 of 20 , Apr 3, 2006
                    Mary Stewart's Merlin trilogy is still my favorite of all that
                    genre. I must do a reread again (when I retire!).

                    Jani

                    --- In histfict@yahoogroups.com, "Aarti" <aarti.nagaraju@...> wrote:

                    > Lisa in Texas wrote:
                    >

                    > > 2. The Alchemist's Daughter by Katherine McMahon-This is
                    another
                    > > one recommended by the Historical novel society that I also
                    really
                    > > enjoyed. Emilie Selden spends her entire life cloistered at her
                    > > father's home in 18th century Buckinghamshire, where he trains
                    her
                    > > as a scientist. Her upbringing leaves her vulnerable to the
                    first
                    > > handsome man to come along and she marries him and moves to
                    London.
                    > > It sounds like a typical romance plot, but it is far more than
                    that.

                    > > 3. In the Company of the Courtesan by Sarah Dunant- I enjoyed
                    her
                    > > first historical novel, Birth of Venus, but I think this one was
                    > > even better.
                    >

                    > I have both of these on my TBR list, and the Dunant one will be
                    > arriving very soon, I think :-)
                    >
                    > I'm currently reading Mary Stewart's The Crystal Cave, the first
                    book
                    > in her Arthurian saga. It's very, very good! At least, the first
                    50
                    > pages are good :-)
                    >
                    > Aarti

                  • Jani
                    Message 9 of 20 , Apr 3, 2006
                      I just finished for review Virgin Earth by Philippa Gregory. I enjoyed
                      these two books about the Tradescants and did some research on my own
                      on them. Wish I could have visited the Garden Museum in Lambeth.

                      I'm now reading See Delphi and Die by Lindsey Davis - book 17 about
                      Marcus Didius Falco - the Roman sleuth. Love these books! :)

                      Jani
                      Newport, RI
                    • Aarti
                      Message 10 of 20 , Apr 3, 2006
                        Haha- no, because in Dorothy Dunnett's book about MacBeth, he's called
                        Thorfinn, I think. So I don't know if that was his real name and so
                        when you refer to Thorfinn, it's actually MacBeth.

                        Aarti

                        --- In histfict@yahoogroups.com, "Kim Gelderman" <gelderman85@...> wrote:

                        > It's just Thorfinn being himself.
                        >
                        > Kim
                        > :-)
                        >
                        > ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                        >
                        > I'm currently reading "The
                        > > Banners of Alba" by Jen Black. This one is about Thorfinn, Finlay,
                        > King
                        > > Malcolm, Prince Duncan and a cast of many others.
                        >
                        > Thorfinn being MacBeth? Or someone else?
                        >
                        > Aarti

                      • Michelle Rautio
                        Message 11 of 20 , Apr 3, 2006

                          > I do have the rest of Mary Stewart¹s trilogy but haven¹t gotten to them yet.
                          > There¹s a 4th book called The Wicked Day that I¹ve got, too.
                          > Eleanor is ok so far. Some dry parts but she was one fiesty gal!
                          >

                          > -- In histfict@yahoogroups.com, Michelle Rautio <whistlewind@...> wrote:
                          >> >
                          >> > I finished The Crystal Cave a few weeks ago and it was fantastic! I
                          > hope
                          >> > you enjoy it.
                          >
                          > Great to hear! It had been sitting on my shelf for a long time, and
                          > as I couldn't get into Jude Morgan's Passion last night, I switched to
                          > that one and got into it immediately! Did you read The Hollow Hills
                          > and The Last Enchantment as well?
                          >
                          >> > Right now I¹m reading The Book of Eleanor by Pamela Kaufman.
                          >
                          > I had that one at home for a while, but never got to it, so I gave it
                          > to the library. Let me know if I made a mistake ;-)
                          >
                          > Aarti

                        • debwirg
                          Message 12 of 20 , Apr 3, 2006
                            Hi. I just picked up the three books beginning with the crystal cave
                            at the used bookstore. The person at the bookstore said it was great
                            so I am glad to hear you like it. It seems to get great reviews with
                            this group.
                            I just started the Angel and the Sword by Cecelia Holland, finished
                            The Tower Born by Maxwell.
                            I also just finished the Laura Kinsale book, Shadow heart, as I had
                            read the first book years ago and just found out about the second. I
                            loved the book about Allegreto but would say this is romance not
                            historical fiction!

                            Debbie in Connecticut...

                            --- In histfict@yahoogroups.com, "ElectaBlue" <electablue@...> wrote:

                            > Since it has been so quiet lately, I decided to post my most
                            recent
                            > reads:
                            >
                            > 1. The Tattoo Artist by Jill Ciment-I read this on the
                            > recommendation of the Historical Novel Society and really enjoyed
                            > it. It is the story of the daughter of a Jewish immigrant family
                            in
                            > 1930's New York. She becomes an artist and when her boyfriend
                            loses
                            > his income during the stock market crash they head to the South
                            > Pacific to buy masks for a friend's collection. They end up
                            > stranded on the island until the 1970s when Time
                            > magazine "discovers" Sara and she returns to New York.
                            >
                            > 2. The Alchemist's Daughter by Katherine McMahon-This is another
                            > one recommended by the Historical novel society that I also really
                            > enjoyed. Emilie Selden spends her entire life cloistered at her
                            > father's home in 18th century Buckinghamshire, where he trains her
                            > as a scientist. Her upbringing leaves her vulnerable to the first
                            > handsome man to come along and she marries him and moves to
                            London.
                            > It sounds like a typical romance plot, but it is far more than
                            that.

                            > 3. In the Company of the Courtesan by Sarah Dunant- I enjoyed her
                            > first historical novel, Birth of Venus, but I think this one was
                            > even better.
                            >
                            > 4. Night Watch by Sarah Waters-I am about half way finished and I
                            am
                            > enjoying it, but definitely not Fingersmith, which is by far her
                            > best novel.
                            >
                            > Lisa in Texas

                          • Kim Gelderman
                            Message 13 of 20 , Apr 3, 2006
                              Well, I believe every historical "fiction" author has a different take
                              on their character's names. They change their names or make one
                              character with a historical name into another historical character. I
                              guess that's what they call "poetic license." I recall a discussion on
                              this not too long ago if I'm not mistaken...

                              Kim
                              :-)

                              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

                              wrote:

                              > It's just Thorfinn being himself.
                              >
                              > Kim
                              > :-)

                            • Jennifer
                              Message 14 of 20 , Apr 3, 2006
                                This is Kim:

                                > Well, I believe every historical "fiction" author has a
                                > different take on their character's names. They change their
                                > names or make one character with a historical name into
                                > another historical character. I guess that's what they call
                                > "poetic license." I recall a discussion on this not too long
                                > ago if I'm not mistaken...

                                And Aarti:

                                > Haha- no, because in Dorothy Dunnett's book about MacBeth,
                                > he's called Thorfinn, I think. So I don't know if that was
                                > his real name and so when you refer to Thorfinn, it's
                                > actually MacBeth.

                                I'm not well enough to work today, so I am plaguing many lists with my posts
                                instead. I can't let this pass without commenting.

                                Dunnett's novel is predicated on a possibility that MacBeth and Thorfinn are
                                one and the same person. Dunnett did a lot of research into this which some
                                of us find fascinating but I don't believe we can say that it is proven. So
                                in Dunnett's case, the names are used interchangeably. I'm not sure that
                                I'd class this as either poetic or literary licence: Dunnett makes her
                                assertion quite clear. To me, literary licence would be where Lymond has an
                                influence on the results of Calais <vbg>.

                                Kim: are you enjoying Jen Black's book? I'd be interested in your views. Jen
                                is a Dunnett fan - most paths seem to lead to or from Dunnett :-)

                                Jenny in Canberra
                                fionnabhair@...
                                +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
                                'The sound the haggis is most sensitive to is that of plaid rubbing on
                                underpants. ' (from the Haggis Encyclopaedia)
                              • hiraeth2
                                Message 15 of 20 , Apr 4, 2006
                                  wrote:

                                  > I finished The Crystal Cave a few weeks ago and it was fantastic! I
                                  hope
                                  > you enjoy it. Right now I¹m reading The Book of Eleanor by Pamela
                                  Kaufman.

                                  I was not a fan of the Kaufman book - there's only so much disbelief I
                                  can suspend. Having Eleanor calling herself Joy was a stretch but
                                  having her grandfather refer to himself as Junior was just ridiculous!

                                  I don't know why you'd want to fictionalise Eleanor's life anyway as it
                                  was fascinating enough to begin with.

                                  Tracy-Anne
                                • Ladenheim-Gil, Randy
                                  Message 16 of 20 , Apr 4, 2006
                                    That's true, it is hist-fic now, which makes me feel old, since I was born
                                    in the 1950s! I'm just starting In the Time of the Butterflies by Julia
                                    Alvarez, which is, along with In the Name of Salome, that author's venture
                                    into historical-political fiction (1930s Dominican Republic to 1994). I
                                    enjoyed Salome and have high hopes for this one as well.

                                    Randy

                                    To Kill A Mockingbird and yes for the first time...I know for shame...and it
                                    does actually count as hist-fic now!

                                    Wendy
                                    ElizabethChadwick@yahoogroups.com
                                    SharonKayPenman@yahoogroups.com
                                    > Banners of Alba" by Jen Black. This one is about Thorfinn, Finlay,
                                    King
                                    > Malcolm, Prince Duncan and a cast of many others.

                                    Thorfinn being MacBeth? Or someone else?

                                    Aarti

                                    Service.

                                    Yahoo! Groups Links

                                    If you were not an intended recipient,
                                    please notify the sender and delete all copies.

                                  • wendy

                                      > Banners of Alba" by Jen Black. This one is about Thorfinn, Finlay,
                                      King
                                      > Malcolm, Prince Duncan and a cast of many others.

                                      Thorfinn being MacBeth? Or someone else?

                                      Aarti

                                    • pam thomas
                                      Message 18 of 20 , Apr 4, 2006
                                        I've just finished 'The Bear Flag' by Cecelia Holland, which is about the very
                                        brief independent republic of California. Although I like her books, I hadn't
                                        read this one before - bought it off ebay last week. And thoroughly enjoyed it.
                                        Now I must go back to 'Pacific Street', which I have read before, and which is
                                        about early San Francisco. We had a couple of holidays visiting friends in
                                        California a few years ago, so it helped to be able to visualise the locations.

                                        > > Right now I¹m reading The Book of Eleanor by Pamela Kaufman.
                                        >
                                        > I had that one at home for a while, but never got to it, so I gave it
                                        > to the library. Let me know if I made a mistake ;-)
                                        >
                                        > Aarti

                                        If it's anything like 'Shield of Three Lions', you probably made a wise decision!

                                        Pam

                                        --
                                        So many books, so little time ...
                                      • deannakay_1
                                        Message 19 of 20 , Apr 4, 2006
                                          --- In histfict@yahoogroups.com, "ElectaBlue" <electablue@...> wrote:

                                          > Since it has been so quiet lately, I decided to post my most recent
                                          > reads:
                                          >
                                          > 1. The Tattoo Artist by Jill Ciment-I read this on the
                                          > recommendation of the Historical Novel Society and really enjoyed
                                          > it. It is the story of the daughter of a Jewish immigrant family in
                                          > 1930's New York. She becomes an artist and when her boyfriend loses
                                          > his income during the stock market crash they head to the South
                                          > Pacific to buy masks for a friend's collection. They end up
                                          > stranded on the island until the 1970s when Time
                                          > magazine "discovers" Sara and she returns to New York.
                                          >
                                          > 2. The Alchemist's Daughter by Katherine McMahon-This is another
                                          > one recommended by the Historical novel society that I also really
                                          > enjoyed. Emilie Selden spends her entire life cloistered at her
                                          > father's home in 18th century Buckinghamshire, where he trains her
                                          > as a scientist. Her upbringing leaves her vulnerable to the first
                                          > handsome man to come along and she marries him and moves to London.
                                          > It sounds like a typical romance plot, but it is far more than that.
                                          >
                                          > 3. In the Company of the Courtesan by Sarah Dunant- I enjoyed her
                                          > first historical novel, Birth of Venus, but I think this one was
                                          > even better.
                                          >
                                          > 4. Night Watch by Sarah Waters-I am about half way finished and I am
                                          > enjoying it, but definitely not Fingersmith, which is by far her
                                          > best novel.
                                          >
                                          > Lisa in Texas

                                          I'm plugging away with Tranter's Bruce Trilogy. It is definitely a
                                          man's writing, but interesting all the same. I don't think I'll make
                                          it through all 1047 pages before the 11th though. School work takes
                                          precedent, unfortunately.

                                          DeAnna
                                        • Sophiene
                                          Message 20 of 20 , Apr 4, 2006
                                            I have read both and loved them both. Happy reading, Randy !

                                            Sophiene

                                            --- In histfict@yahoogroups.com, "Ladenheim-Gil, Randy"