HimalayaNet #72 (July 20, 2000)

  • Himalayan Explorers Club
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 20, 2000
      HimalayaNet #72 (July 20, 2000)

      Namaste, and welcome to the 72nd edition of HimalayaNet, the online
      newsletter of the Himalayan Explorers Club. This month, we feature
      expert travel advice for Tibet from Mark Zelechowski. We also
      apologize for an error in HimalayaNet #71 regarding the hijacking of
      the Indian Airlines flight in December 1999.

      Please send all contributions to himalayanet@egroups.com, and
      remember to include your membership number if you'd like to post a
      message. We are also very interested in sharing any travel
      information or updates you may have.

      Kathie A. Mears
      HimalayaNet Moderator

      IN THIS ISSUE:

      1. CORRECTION TO HIMALAYANET #71
      2. OVERLAND JOURNEY: KATHMANDU – LHASA – MT. KAILASH
      3. CALLING ALL HIMALAYAN PHOTOGRAPHERS
      4. NURSE SEEKS VOLUNTEER POSITION IN INDIA/NEPAL
      5. SEEKING PEOPLE WHO HAVE TAUGHT IN NEPAL
      6. MEMORIAL SERVICE HELD FOR DOUG THOMPSON
      7. WATSON FELLOW SEEKS CONTACTS FOR SHERPA, THARU, OR GURUNG
      COMMUNITIES
      8. PAKISTAN BIODIVERSITY WEB PAGE
      9. TIBETAN BOY NEEDS HOST FAMILY
      10. HEC MEMBERS LOOKING FOR TRAVEL ADVICE/COMPANIONS
      10A. LOOKING FOR MAP OF ANNAPURNA REGION
      10B. SEEKING TREKKING PARTNER(S) FOR NEPAL/TIBET IN AUTUMN
      10C. SEEKING TREKKING PARTNERS: EVEREST REGION OCT-NOV.
      10D. HEC SEEKING TREKKING PARTNERS FOR OCTOBER
      11. ADVENTUROUS TRAVELER BOOKSTORE SPONSORSHIP
      12. CLASSIFIED ADVERTISING SECTION
      VOLUNTEER OPPORTUNITIES
      HOW TO UNSUBSCRIBE TO HIMALAYANET
      HOW TO SUBSCRIBE TO HIMALAYANET
      HOW TO POST ON HIMALAYANET
      HIMALAYAN EXPLORERS CLUB MEMBERSHIP INFORMATION

      1. CORRECTION TO HIMALAYANET #71

      It was pointed out to the HEC that HimalayaNet #71 contained a gross
      error. In the story about the resumption of Indian Airline service to
      Kathmandu we incorrectly reported that "The IC-814 flight had
      been
      hijacked by Pakistan-backed terrorists on December 24." The
      hijackers still remain at large, and their nationality also remains
      unknown. We apologize for the error.

      2. OVERLAND JOURNEY: KATHMANDU – LHASA – MT. KAILASH

      [Note: Mark Zelechowski travelled from Kathmandu-Tibet in October
      1999 for 30 days. This report has been edited for space. The full
      report can be located at www.away.com]

      Visiting Tibet is one of the most rewarding experiences. However, for
      a budget traveler it is not the easiest or cheapest place to go. We
      visited Sigatse (on the road to Lhasa), Lhasa, Ganden, Sera, and
      while on the tour to Mt.Kailas: Yambulagang, Samye, Yamdruk Lake
      (short stop), Gyantse, Sakya, Mt.Kailas kora, Lake Manasanovar, and
      the base camp of Mt.Everest.

      For those who are planning to hike and camp (for ex. Mt.Kailas kora)
      it is a must to have a light but warm (min. 15F) sleeping bag,
      sleeping pad, hut, rain/windbreaker parka, long pants, fleece,
      gloves. It is good to have a cooking stove, but it can be rented
      (huge, 10-12lb) together with a tent.

      There is a public bus to the border town Kodari, (O/W NRs65, 7hr),
      departing from the City Bus Terminal in Kathmandu around 6-7am.
      Individual approach to the Tibetan border carries the degree of risk
      since some travelers are admitted and some are not. There is no rule
      and it is pointless to speculate on how it "works." If turned back at
      the border, one must stay in the guesthouse and return next day by
      bus or check for a jeep going to KTM (NRs 300-500/person when full).
      Those who cross the border can pick up a bus to Sigatse and next day
      to Lhasa. Organized transportation is available through many agencies
      in KTM. It takes 4 days, cost $US250/person (the lowest we found),
      $12 for visa "endorsement" and around $3 for a truck between the
      bridge and Zhamdu. The $250 covers bus transportation to the border
      in Kodari and 4WD Toyota from Zhamdu to Lhasa (6 passengers and
      driver or 5 passengers, driver and useless, but required by Chinese
      authorities, a guide. Usually 2 trucks go together). A traveler must
      have a Chinese visa obtained before arriving in KTM. We visited the
      Chinese embassy. There is no way to get the visa in KTM.

      For those without a Chinese visa it is still possible to visit Tibet
      on 8-days/7 nights trip. The cheapest we found was $320, $12 visa
      endorsement, $3 truck, plus return air ticket Lhasa - KTM. Food,
      hotels included. All tourists go on a group visa. Those who have an
      individual visa will have it cancelled at the border while entering
      Tibet. Given the fact that the trip to Lhasa takes 4 days - one day
      to return - there is not much time to really enjoy Tibet.

      Permits: It is impossible to get them in Lhasa - we tried. The only
      place that issues them fairly easy is PSB in Sigatse. The question
      is: do you need them? A permit is required for Samye, but only if you
      go by boat. Checkpoint is at the harbor. Those hiking from Ganden
      enter Samye through the mountain and there is no checkpoint in the
      village. Yambulangang - for a day trip you can get away without a
      permit or if you stay overnight in a private house which is illegal.
      The only hotel in Tsetang will report you to the police. Fines for
      not having a permit varies. Other places requiring a permit: Sakya
      (buses depart from Sigatse), Mt.Kailas region.

      We took a 5-6 hr bus trip from Kathmandu to the border town of
      Kodari. The guide handles all border procedures. There is a short
      walk over the bridge, a 30-min. rough ride in a cargo truck up the
      mountain to Zhamdu, and crossing the border with China. It took us
      about 2 hours. The Toyotas are waiting just after the checkpoint. At
      the border one can change US$ in the bank or on the street at the
      better rate. We were packed into the 4WD: 6 people per truck so the
      entire trip to Lhasa was not too comfortable: basically 2 people per
      one wide seat. Another two hours and we arrived in Nyalam, an ugly,
      mostly Chinese town. Places to stay: the best is Namaskar
      Guesthouse, (Y15/db), down the road from the overpriced Nyalam Hotel,
      (Y20/db room). On the way there is the Snow Land Hotel, (Y15) also
      better then Nyalam. For these rates there are no showers and hot
      water is supplied in thermoses. Food is expensive and limited in
      comparison to Nepal.

      On day two, we traveled from Kodari - Lhatse: a long 10hr trip but
      the dirt road was not that bad. Great scenery with fantastic views
      from the Lalung La Pass (5082m). There is a checkpoint in Tingri. We
      stopped in Lhatse ( another uninteresting, mostly Chinese town) for
      the night. For place to stay walk towards the end of the town
      (direction: Lhasa) and on the right side you'll find a Tibetan house
      with iron stairs to the second floor and a Chinese restaurant on the
      first. It has no name, but it is an original Tibetan guesthouse with
      colorful rooms and friendly owners. Costs Y15/db, hot water in
      thermoses. The hotel of the guide's "choice" costs double. Eat
      downstairs.

      Make sure that the day before, you push the guide to leave Lhatse
      8:30am at the latest, so you have enough time (3hr is perfect) for
      the monastery in Sigatse (closes at 6pm). Enjoy great scenery during
      the 6hr (1hr for lunch) trip to Sigatse. The guide will drop you in
      front of the Thashilhunpo monastery for sightseeing (luggage in the
      truck) and then takes you to the expensive Tenzin Hotel. Instead,
      take your luggage and go directly across the main street to the Fruit
      Orchard Hotel where you can negotiate Y15/person in a 4- bed room.
      Hot shower available! Drop the luggage and see the monastery (Y20)
      and later the town that has a nice Tibetan sector. The monastery is a
      great introduction to Tibetan Buddhism and is worth a trip. For those
      who travel on their own and stay longer there is a path from the back
      of the mountain to the ruins of the fort on the top.

      The road from Sigatse is generally good and the last 70km are paved.
      As we were approaching Lhasa the valley got wider with a river along
      the road, green vegetation and farming sites. Once we entered Lhasa
      we witnessed a demonstration of Chinese military power when about 100
      trucks of armed soldiers passed on the main road. It was a long ride
      before we saw the first Tibetan accent in the city. Later we learned
      that only 5% (!) of Lhasa is Tibetan. The architecture is like the
      rest of suburban China: buildings covered with toilet-type tiles and
      blue windows. After 15min we reached the Tibetan section and our trip
      ended in front of the Yak Hotel. General tip: do not eat or sleep
      where the guide drops you off. There are many original Tibetan
      places around where your money will support those who need it most.
      At the same time you will save too.

      Places to stay in Lhasa: Tashi Targyel is my #1 choice: double Y50
      (negotiated), clean, bright rooms. Outside toilets and showers (hot)
      are also good. Banak Shol is an original Tibetan building, double
      Y70, small rooms. Avoid rooms facing the street - very noisy. Good
      showers, toilets (so-so) and free laundry. Also, check the Kirey
      Hotel. Yak Hotel is expensive. Restaurants in Lhasa are good. My
      favorites are Tashi 1 and Crazy Yak Restaurant (night time shows with
      Tibetan music). Plain yogurt and Tibetan bread are sold in the market.

      When visiting Potala Palace try to avoid Sunday since it is open only
      half a day: 3.30-6.00pm. Entry fees to all monasteries in and around
      Lhasa cost Y20-25 except Potala Palace: Y40 + Y10 for 13th floor
      (tombs). It is a 1hr walk from Barkhor Sq. to Norbulingka Palaces.
      The bus to Ganden leaves from Barkhor Sq. at 6:30am (Y16R/T), but
      arrive earlier. The bus is full. Make sure you do kora around the
      monastery - great walk and fantastic view from the top. For Sera:
      minibuses depart just one block South of Barkhor Sq. (30 min., Y2).
      Monks gather at 1pm for praying session in the Assembly Hall. Do not
      miss it!

      Mt. Kailas: There are many tour operators where one can book a trip
      to Kailas. The lowest available prices are between Y4500 and Y6000
      all depending on how many days it takes and how well you negotiate.
      For example: In Tashi Targyel Hotel, agency on the 2nd fl charges for
      18 - 20 days trip: tent, stove Y5000; agency on 1st fl charges the
      same, but for each additional day above 18 they ask Y400/day/group.
      Yak hotel: Y5000 nothing included. We booked through an agency in
      Banak Shol, 2nd fl for Y4400 plus Y150 per tent and cooking stove. It
      is no sense to recommend any of them. All agencies run the same type
      of trip and based on talking to other groups we've met every one had
      the same problems with guides and drivers once on the route: cutting
      on itineraries or extorting additional money. To minimize this the
      most important thing is to write down a detailed contract. We were
      glad we did it.

      Mark Zelechowski
      markzele@...

      3. CALLING ALL HIMALAYAN PHOTOGRAPHERS

      Himalayan photographers are invited to submit their photographs to
      two contests/exhibitions:

      IPPG EXHIBIT. The International Porter Protection Group (IPPG) is
      holding a photographic exhibition – "Celebrating the Mountain
      Porter" – at the Yak and Yeti hotel on the September 29, 2000.
      The
      IPPG is looking for high quality photographs of mountain porters. For
      more information contact Jim Duff at duffbel@...

      ARUN TREKS PHOTO CONTEST. We're looking for your best adventure
      travel landscape! Send us your photo for the chance to win a 14-day
      trek for two in Nepal or a Suunto Altimax Wristop Computer.

      Entries must be received by August 31st, 2000. Please send original
      slides or prints or good quality duplicates; 35mm or larger, packed
      in clear plastic sleeves. Please print your name on slide mounts. Do
      not send slides loose in envelopes or boxes. Entries must be
      accompanied by name, phone number, address and location of photo.
      Please include a brief description of the subject and your adventure.

      Limit two entries per household. To have your slide returned, include
      a self-addressed stamped envelope. Winning entries will be chosen by
      a panel of three professional judges. Arun Treks is not responsible
      for loss or damage to items received. Winning entries will be posted
      on our web site on September 15th, 2000.

      Send entries to Arun Treks & Expeditions, 301 E. 33rd St. #3, Austin,
      TX 78705 USA.For more information visit our site at www.aruntreks.com
      or e-mail us at aruntrek@...

      4. NURSE SEEKS VOLUNTEER POSITION IN INDIA/NEPAL

      I am going to India and Nepal in the fall and want to do 2-3 weeks of
      medical volunteer work. I am a nurse with much experience in many
      areas. I want to volunteer my services for free and will pay my own
      transportation, room, board, etc. but do not want to pay high fees to
      volunteer. Any ideas? Please feel free to e-mail me. Thank you.

      Anne Robertson
      anneqrob@...

      5. SEEKING PEOPLE WHO HAVE TAUGHT IN NEPAL

      My name is Kristin and I am planning to teach in Nepal by the summer
      of 2001. I am currently attending graduate school working towards my
      Masters Degree in Education and my Teaching Credential. I am working
      extensively on a research paper for my Thesis class in regards to
      teaching in Nepal. One of my requirements for my Thesis is to
      interview persons who have taught in Nepal. I am wondering if any
      HimalayaNet readers might be able to help me with this? I am having
      difficulty in locating subjects for my interview. I have questions
      formulated that I can e-mail at your convenience. I would greatly
      appreciate any help that you can provide.

      Thank you for your time and cooperation. I look forward to hearing
      from you soon!

      Kristin S. Neustein
      kristinsn@...

      6. MEMORIAL SERVICE HELD FOR DOUG THOMPSON

      [Editor's note: Doug Thompson was a life member of the HEC who
      passed
      away in October 1999 while hiking in the White Mountains of New
      Hampshire. He had planned to teach English in the Khumbu region in
      spring 2000. This note is from his wife Cynthia.]

      We were in fact able to hold Doug's service on top of Mount
      Washington on June 5. The weather cooperated, just - it was foggy
      (parts of the drive up were scary!) but not impossible - about 35 or
      40 people drove up and 12 hiked. It was held in the Tip Top House,
      which was built in 1853 as a hotel - the bunk room is still there
      (supposedly haunted!) In the large main room, with dining tables, we
      had sandwiches, drinks, and wonderful desserts, some contributed by a
      woman who works at the Observatory. That was a chance for people to
      meet each other. Some of the men who had helped carry Doug's body
      down the mountain on Oct. 30 and 31 were there - I'd never met them
      and was so glad to have a chance to. When the last of the hikers had
      arrived, we held the service.

      My minister, Beverly Boke, stood by the wood stove, and Doug's ashes
      were in a wooden chest on the windowsill with a spray of orange
      flowers on top of them. (Our son, David, had hiked up carrying the
      ashes in his backpack.)

      After the service Jen and David and his wife Heather and I took the
      ashes out in back of the Tip Top House. At that point it had cleared
      a bit and we could see a long way down the mountain.

      The whole thing was just right as a memorial to Doug.

      Cynthia.S. Thompson (cynthia.s.thompson@...)

      7. WATSON FELLOW SEEKS CONTACTS FOR SHERPA, THARU, OR GURUNG
      COMMUNITIES

      I'll be spending a year in Nepal, about two months in Kathmandu
      getting acculturated and learning Nepali, then off to various
      places. As a Watson Fellow, I cannot be affiliated with any program
      volunteer or otherwise. But, I am desperately seeking contacts into
      the Sherpa, Tharu, and Gurung/Magar communities. My fellowship is to
      observe the traditions of these minority communities and their varied
      local cultures and religions. Although I know it maybe a difficult
      task, I want to be more observer/participant rather than a tourist.

      Would you know of any good contacts into communities or suggestions
      as to how I might go about seeking
      introductions into these communities? Could you suggest other people
      who may have contacts?

      Any help would be appreciated. Thank you for your time. If you are
      at all interested in a more detailed
      description of my project, I can email you my proposal.

      Teresa Park
      Overland Park, KS 66212, USA
      (913)599-5636
      sangheetpark@...

      8. PAKISTAN BIODIVERSITY WEB PAGE

      I have found a very interesting Web page on the Biodiversity of
      Pakistan. It features information on wildlife, national parks, game
      reserves and wildlife sanctuaries. The page was created by an
      individual in order to raise awareness. It is useful for those who
      want to visit/work in Pakistan, or interested in wildlife and
      conservation:
      http://www.geocities.com/RainForest/Jungle/2690/

      Sarfraz Hayat
      affh@...

      9. TIBETAN BOY NEEDS HOST FAMILY

      Jingme Yong-Song is a 10 year old boy now from Eastern Tibet. He
      suffers from a spinal curvature (scolios) which requires him to come
      to the USA for one or more operations. Although Jingme is in some
      discomfort from his condition, he is very active and has a full range
      of movement and can care for himself. Jingme has never been outside
      of the remote area of Tibet in which he was born and does not speak
      English. He will need careful adjustment to the USA culture during
      his 12-month stay.

      You will be providing Jingme with his home base while in the United
      States and will help him understand the culture he has come to. You
      will provide him with his food and shelter, but his medical needs
      will be taken care of. Most of all you will provide him with the
      love and support he is missing by being so far away from home.
      Volunteers will help you to tutor Jingme, take him on day trips, and
      help out in any way needed.

      Please call: 303-652-3142 for more information on being a host family
      or if you would like to help tutor or drive to doctors appointments.

      All Together Now International is a non-profit organization that
      brings children from Nepal and Tibet to the USA to receive life-
      saving operations not available in their own countries. ATNI also
      sponsors medical work and educational programs in Nepal. Contact us
      for volunteer opportunities. Your tax-deductible donations are
      always welcome.

      All Together Now International
      P. O. Box 7111 ~ Boulder, CO 80306 ~ U.S.A.
      Phone 303-652-3142 ~ Fax 303-652-3161 ~ AllToNow@...
      http://www.alltogether.org

      10. HEC MEMBERS LOOKING FOR TRAVEL ADVICE/COMPANIONS

      10A. LOOKING FOR MAP OF ANNAPURNA REGION

      Namaste! I was in Nepal for the months of October and November 1999
      and completed the Around Annapurna trek. I left Nepal with an
      Annapurna trekking map and continued with my travels. At some point,
      before I reached home, I misplaced the map. I would love another one
      (any one, even the cheapest). Please contact me if you are currently
      in Nepal and can bring one back for me. Thanks very much.

      Katie Snyder
      ktsnyd@...

      10B. SEEKING TREKKING PARTNER(S) FOR NEPAL/TIBET IN AUTUMN

      I'm looking for a partner(s) for trekking this autumn. Preferably
      six weeks (mid-Sept though October) near Everest, Cho Oyu, and
      Shishapangma basecamps in Tibet, and/or at least one month (November)
      to Kanchenjunga in Nepal.

      Clint Rogers
      cbrogers@...

      10C. SEEKING TREKKING PARTNERS: EVEREST REGION OCT-NOV.

      I will be trekking in the Everest region from Oct. 14 to Nov. 16 and
      am seeking 1 to 3 people to join me. I plan to hire a porter/guide
      in Lukla at the start of the trek. The intended route is Lukla to
      Chukhung to Kala Pattar to Gokyo then back to Lukla. Many people do
      this route in about 18 to 20 days, so by stretching it to 32 days
      there is plenty of time for day hikes and side trips. Most nights
      will be spent in tea houses, although I plan to bring a tent and
      stove so that overnight side trips can be taken when desired. For
      more info and details please contact me.

      Don Kanare
      donkanare@...

      10D. HEC SEEKING TREKKING PARTNERS FOR OCTOBER

      Veteran Nepalophile looking for fit partners for either of the
      following 4-5 week treks.this October.1) Around Manaslu from Gorkha,
      over Rupina La, to Ganaesh BC, then up the Chhekampar valley (if
      allowed), then to Manaslu BC, over Larkya La, to Annapurna trail,
      return Pokhara. trek requires "liasion officer" I think, so it is a
      bit expensive; OR, an awesome trek up the Rowaling valley, over
      Trashi Lapsta (technical pass), to resupply in Namche, then over
      Amphu Lapsta , into wild Hongu valley, over Sherpani Col into Makalu
      BC area, return down Arun to Tumlingtar- an ambitious walk! I'm 43,
      speak passable Nepali, and also into some easy scrambles along the
      way.

      Tom R. Sewell
      Whitefish, Montana, USA
      tomrsewell@...

      11. ADVENTUROUS TRAVELER BOOKSTORE SPONSORSHIP

      This newsletter is sponsored in part by www.AdventurousTraveler.com.
      Check them out for the most complete collection of Himalayan
      guidebooks, narratives and maps on the Internet. Give them your HEC
      membership number for a 10% discount!

      12. CLASSIFIED ADVERTISING SECTION
      (updated July 20, 2000)

      FOR SALE

      Roundtrip ticket from Denver to Kathmandu. Approximately $1300/adult
      and $1000/child. Depart Denver November 24 with open return date.
      Group rate discount deadline is August 5. Contact Gayle Renick for
      details: (303) 861-4230
      gaylerenick@...

      GUIDES

      Pakistan with Pakistanis: Concordia Expeditions, your premier
      connection to Pakistan, offers superior and affordable adventures to
      K2, Hunza, Snow Lake, Chitral, and the Karakoram Glaciers.
      Contact Concordia Expeditions, PO Box 4159,Buena Vista, CO 81211
      (719) 3959191, info@...
      http://www.concordiaexpeditions.com

      Explore Himalaya: Can arrange individual/group holidays to all
      destinations in Nepal, India, and Tibet. High altitude treks &
      climbing, mountain biking, and white water rafting.
      Contact Suman Pandey, PO Box 4902, Kathmandu, Nepal
      Fax: 977-1-252 115
      E-mail: adventur@...

      Join the Himalayan Explorers Club in the Himalayas! Pemba Sherpa
      leads Everest trek with Island Peak in October 2000 and March 2001,
      info@... or call (888) 420-8822. All trips also include an
      excursion "off the beaten path" to Sewangma, where Pemba grew up and
      the location of the HEC Bridge Project in November 2000.

      KE Adventure Travel. Unique trekking, climbing, mountain biking, and
      cultural journeys throughout Pakistan, Nepal, Tibet, China, Bhutan,
      Sikkim, Ladakh, Bolivia, Peru, Patagonia, Ecuador, Russia, Africa &
      more! Contact us for a free, color brochure.
      (800) 497-9675
      ketravel@...
      http://www.keadventure.com

      A HIMALAYA CLIMB with Daniel Mazur. Inexpensive, well organised. 7000
      and 8000 metre peaks. Beginner and expert routes. tel: 406-363-7747,
      email: himalaya_inc@..., 2 WEBSITES: www.shishapangma.com
      & www.nojintangla.com

      Discover the Himalaya with local expert Pemba Sherpa. With over 14
      years of experience, HEC trip coordinator Pemba and his international
      guide team offer trekking, climbing, and cultural journeys to Nepal,
      Tibet, and Ladakh. Proceeds also go to support the HEC school and
      bridge projects in Nepal. For free brochure contact:
      SHERPA ASCENT INTERNATIONAL
      Phone: (888) 568-8924
      E-mail: pemba@...
      Web: http://www.sherpaascent.com

      Project Himalaya. Wild treks and expeditions in Nepal and India;
      nobody else on the planet runs trips quite like ours. Small,
      friendly, professional operation run by Jamie McGuinness, author
      of "Trekking in the Everest Region" guide book. Quality Tibet tours
      too!
      jamie@...
      www.project-himalaya.com

      World of Wonder Adventures, Inc. - specializing in adventure travel -
      WOW! Takes you to places you've always wanted to go, to do the things
      you've always wanted to do, at a price you can afford. Our exciting
      schedule of upcoming adventures includes Nepal, New Zealand, Baja
      Mexico, Spain and the Oregon Coast. For more details call toll free:
      1-888-4-wow-fun or e-mail us at: wowadventure@...
      http://www.wowadventure.com

      TRAVEL

      The Asian Trail is your FREE downloadable guide to work, travel, and
      adventure in Asia. Job listings too! Get your copy of The Asian Trail
      at: http://www.asiantrail.com

      Avia Travel. Competitive fares to Asia, especially Nepal, Pakistan,
      and Thailand through major consolidators. Established since 1987,
      recommended by Lonely Planet as a "reliable source" for discounted
      fares. Customized land packages into Asia and small group adventures.
      Call (800) 950 2842 or (415) 536-4155.
      avia@...
      http://www.avia.com

      Himalayan Treasures and Travel. We have seats to Kathmandu all the
      time. Call us for the best price and best service. We book for many
      HEC members and give HEC discounts! Call (800) 223-1813 or (510) 222-
      5307.
      govindsh@...
      http://www.himalayantrekking.com.

      Ticket Planet. We are America's leading round the world air
      consolidator, and also your Nepal airfare experts. We can get seats
      to Kathmandu when others can't. We broker over 50 airlines. We have
      over 15 years of experience pricing international airfares. Please
      contact us at (800) 799-8888, (415) 288-9999.
      Fax: (415) 288-9839
      See our website: http://www.ticketplanet.com
      Email us at: himalayas@...

      VOLUNTEER/STUDY ABROAD

      Himalayan Study-Abroad Program. Applications now being accepted for
      Fall 2000. Participants will study tourism development along the
      Everest route, then design community development projects for remote
      Rolwaling valley, according to individual interests and community
      needs. Info: www.bridges-prtd.com
      Contact: sicroff@...

      Volunteer Nepal Himalaya offers participants a unique opportunity to
      teach English in Sherpa villages in the Himalayas, near Mt. Everest.
      Accommodations are with local families. While not teaching,
      participants work on community service projects or explore the
      endless trails and villages of the Khumbu region. For more
      information, please contact the Himalayan Explorers Club at
      info@... or call (888) 420-8822.

      The Nepal Volunteer Handbook offers potential volunteers everything
      they will need to know about volunteering in Nepal, including a
      personal skills assessment, background on the history of foreign
      assistance in Nepal, tips for ensuring a worthwhile experience, and
      information on over 50 volunteer leads. Contact the HEC at (888) 420-
      8822 or
      info@...

      The Kathmandu Environmental Education Project (KEEP) is looking for
      experienced volunteer English teachers to teach English and
      educational workshops for sirdars, sherpas, cooks, and kitchen staff.
      For more information please contact:
      PT Sherpa"Kerung", Executive Director KEEP
      tour@...

      HOW TO POST ON HIMALAYANET

      (1) Send your HimalayaNet postings to himalayanet@egroups.com. Be
      sure to include your membership number in your E-mail. Only members
      can post on HimalayaNet. If you've lost your membership card, E-mail
      the HEC at info@....
      (2) Put your E-mail address at the bottom of your posting.
      (3) Send responses to postings directly to the author at the address
      listed.
      (4) If you receive responses to your posting, please send the
      moderator (himalayanet@egroups.com) a summary if the topic is of
      general interest so it can be sent it out to all subscribers in the
      next issue.

      HIMALAYAN EXPLORERS CLUB MEMBERSHIP INFORMATION

      The Himalayan Explorers Club (HEC) is a tax-exempt 501(c)(3)
      nonprofit organization that seeks to promote a better understanding
      of and respect for the environment and culture of the Himalayan
      Region. Members can receive e-mail, postal mail, and faxes, store
      luggage, and browse through trip reports at our Clubhouses in
      Kathmandu and Islamabad, Pakistan. In addition, members receive
      discounts with many hotels, restaurants, shops, and travel agents.
      Members also receive our hardcopy newsletter, Himalayan News.

      For more information about the HEC please visit our Web page at
      http://www.hec.org, or contact us at:
      Himalayan Explorers Club
      PO Box 3665
      Boulder, CO 80307