What's up babblers!

  • McDermott, Jim
    Message 1 of 19 , Nov 2, 2000
      Hey all,

      I just found out the group had move and wanted to give a shout out and say
      hello! It's good to see the list going again and I missed getting the
      e-mail that keeps the creative juices flowing. Take care all and if anyone
      is ever in the Columbus, Ohio area give me a yell and we'll hit the local
      bar scene for some convo..lates!

      Jim McDermott
      P:614.543-6737
      E:jmcdermott@...
      W:http://www.ngda.com
    • Nathan Teske
      Message 2 of 19 , Nov 2, 2000
        On 11/2/00 12:14 PM McDermott, Jim wrote:

        >Hey all,
        >
        >I just found out the group had move and wanted to give a shout out and say
        >hello! It's good to see the list going again and I missed getting the
        >e-mail that keeps the creative juices flowing. Take care all and if anyone
        >is ever in the Columbus, Ohio area give me a yell and we'll hit the local
        >bar scene for some convo..lates!

        Ummmm... yea. It's been kinda' dead around here. Has everyone become
        web-enlightened in the list's abscence? ;)

        :.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:
        : Nathan W. Teske, <mailto:nathan@...> :
        : Some Web & Print Design Guy :
        : Who recently did stuff for ... <http://www.philpritchett.com/> :
        :.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:
      • McDermott, Jim
        Message 3 of 19 , Nov 2, 2000
          LOL I dunno. I think it's more the fact that it disapeared without anyone
          knowing where it went to. I found out only after asking about it on Marc
          Klein's Designer:Republic list. Who knows maybe now that some others on
          that list know about it, they'll join. Also, anyone who happens upon a Best
          Buy store after this weekend, go check out the new Kiosk's that they've got
          in store. We came to us in order to give the customers a more interactive
          shopping experience. You can now compare cell phone rates, find out what
          phone is best for you, and sign up quickly and easily. There are kiosks in
          key areas of the store with more to go in sometime next spring - after the
          Christmas shopping season. Lemme know what you think.

          Jim

          >Ummmm... yea. It's been kinda' dead around here. Has everyone become
          >web-enlightened in the list's abscence? ;)

          :.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:
          : Nathan W. Teske, <mailto:nathan@...> :
          : Some Web & Print Design Guy :
          : Who recently did stuff for ... <http://www.philpritchett.com/> :
          :.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:

        • Tom Cosgrave
          Message 4 of 19 , Nov 2, 2000
            > Ummmm... yea. It's been kinda' dead around here. Has everyone become
            > web-enlightened in the list's abscence? ;)

            Well I know I'm too busy.
            Moving on up in the dot.com world - late hours and all that....

            Still our launch is next week so we get some sleep time then I hope.

            Great to have the list back though :-)

            Cheers,
            Tom
            --
            Tom Cosgrave, New Media Designer
            design@...

            http://www.tomcosgrave.com/design
          • Daniel Thompson
            Message 5 of 19 , Nov 2, 2000
              That's the trail I followed. And I got a smile ear to ear...

              Glad to be back.

              on 11/2/00 12:37 PM, McDermott, Jim at jmcdermott@... wrote:

              > LOL I dunno. I think it's more the fact that it disapeared without anyone
              > knowing where it went to. I found out only after asking about it on Marc
              > Klein's Designer:Republic list.
            • Aizan Sasayama
              Message 6 of 19 , Nov 2, 2000
                ah...the memories...hehe. nice the list is back =)
              • Maryam Balbed
                Message 7 of 19 , Nov 2, 2000
                  So, I see a bunch of you made it over from Marc's list :-) Don't
                  know how much Christopher's gonna be checking in this week--he's
                  leading one of the Cool Site of the Day teams at the Web2000
                  conference in San Francisco.

                  Maryam

                  --
                  Maryam Balbed
                  Web Production Editor

                  Message 8 of 19 , Nov 2, 2000
                    Okay, okay... I got one.

                    Has anyone had difficulties getting Adobe products to recognize the Sevenet
                    font using ATM?

                    It's literally driving me nuts. I've got a remote font folder-- but every
                    other font seems to work.

                    Any help would be overwhelmingly appreciated,

                    d|e-
                  • Maryam Balbed
                    Message 9 of 19 , Nov 3, 2000
                      Apparently, Dev X snatched the list when they took over Project Cool,
                      and Christopher wasn't able to retrieve the list of subscribers. Glad
                      y'all are coming back :-)

                      Maryam
                      --
                      Maryam Balbed
                      Web Production Editor

                      "McDermott, Jim" wrote:

                      > LOL I dunno. I think it's more the fact that it disapeared without anyone
                      > knowing where it went to. I found out only after asking about it on Marc
                      > Klein's Designer:Republic list. Who knows maybe now that some others on
                      > that list know about it, they'll join. Also, anyone who happens upon a Best
                      > Buy store after this weekend, go check out the new Kiosk's that they've got
                      > in store. We came to us in order to give the customers a more interactive
                      > shopping experience. You can now compare cell phone rates, find out what
                      > phone is best for you, and sign up quickly and easily. There are kiosks in
                      > key areas of the store with more to go in sometime next spring - after the
                      > Christmas shopping season. Lemme know what you think.
                      >
                      > Jim
                      >
                      > >Ummmm... yea. It's been kinda' dead around here. Has everyone become
                      > >web-enlightened in the list's abscence? ;)
                      >
                      > :.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:
                      > : Nathan W. Teske, <mailto:nathan@...> :
                      > : Some Web & Print Design Guy :
                      > : Who recently did stuff for ... <http://www.philpritchett.com/> :
                      > :.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:

                    • McDermott, Jim
                      Message 10 of 19 , Nov 3, 2000
                        Ahh this is true. I hope they aren't planning on using the list of us for
                        targeted mailings or anything. I wish they would have at least announced
                        that they were wanting to shut down the list! I really looked forward to
                        the memory flow I got from the members :(

                        "McDermott, Jim" wrote:

                        > LOL I dunno. I think it's more the fact that it disapeared without anyone
                        > knowing where it went to. I found out only after asking about it on Marc
                        > Klein's Designer:Republic list. Who knows maybe now that some others on
                        > that list know about it, they'll join. Also, anyone who happens upon a
                        Best
                        > Buy store after this weekend, go check out the new Kiosk's that they've
                        got
                        > in store. We came to us in order to give the customers a more interactive
                        > shopping experience. You can now compare cell phone rates, find out what
                        > phone is best for you, and sign up quickly and easily. There are kiosks
                        in
                        > key areas of the store with more to go in sometime next spring - after the
                        > Christmas shopping season. Lemme know what you think.
                        >
                        > Jim
                        >
                        > >Ummmm... yea. It's been kinda' dead around here. Has everyone become
                        > >web-enlightened in the list's abscence? ;)
                        >
                        > :.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:
                        > : Nathan W. Teske, <mailto:nathan@...> :
                        > : Some Web & Print Design Guy :
                        > : Who recently did stuff for ... <http://www.philpritchett.com/> :
                        > :.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:

                      • Maryam Balbed
                        Message 11 of 19 , Nov 3, 2000
                          Yeah, it would have been nice if they'd let us know. Babble was
                          definitely one of my favorite lists--I always got the info I needed.

                          Maryam
                          --
                          Maryam Balbed
                          Web Production Editor

                          "McDermott, Jim" wrote:

                          > Ahh this is true. I hope they aren't planning on using the list of us for
                          > targeted mailings or anything. I wish they would have at least announced
                          > that they were wanting to shut down the list! I really looked forward to
                          > the memory flow I got from the members :(

                        • Christopher Schmitt
                          Message 12 of 19 , Nov 4, 2000
                            --- In highfivebabble@egroups.com, Daniel Thompson
                            <factotum@m...> wrote:
                            > Okay, okay... I got one.
                            >
                            > Has anyone had difficulties getting Adobe products to
                            recognize the Sevenet
                            > font using ATM?

                            Isn't Sevenet a bitmap font? Would that be causing the problem
                            with ATM? (I still have re-installed it on my Mac since doing a
                            fresh re-install of my programs....)

                            Also, if you're using a Mac, I would suggest throwing the font into
                            the system's folder rather than going through ATM.

                            Best,
                            Christopher Schmitt
                            schmitt@...
                          • Christopher Schmitt
                            Message 13 of 19 , Nov 4, 2000
                              --- In highfivebabble@egroups.com, "McDermott, Jim"
                              <jmcdermott@n...> wrote:
                              > Ahh this is true. I hope they aren't planning on using the list of
                              us for
                              > targeted mailings or anything.

                              I doubt that. The information I *was* able to get was that they
                              formatted the server to be a WindowsNT machine.

                              > I wish they would have at least announced
                              > that they were wanting to shut down the list!

                              Me, too. :-)

                              I asked a DevX representantive for the subscription list - y'know,
                              from routine backups they made of the machine before
                              someone swipes a machine. However, I *really* don't think they
                              made any backups.... otherwise I
                              should have heard something from them by now.

                              *Sigh*

                              Best,
                              Christopher Schmitt
                              schmitt@...
                            • A. Erickson
                              Message 14 of 19 , Nov 4, 2000
                                > I asked a DevX representantive for the subscription list - y'know,
                                > from routine backups they made of the machine before
                                > someone swipes a machine. However, I *really* don't think they
                                > made any backups.... otherwise I
                                > should have heard something from them by now.

                                hmmmm... I sent several emails to DevX asking them what happened to Babble
                                and I never heard anything back so... maybe they're just jerks.

                                - amanda
                              • A. Erickson
                                Message 15 of 19 , Nov 4, 2000
                                  So, did DevX buy/acquire High Five?

                                  - ae

                                • Nathan Teske
                                  Message 16 of 19 , Nov 4, 2000
                                    On 11/4/00 9:53 AM Christopher Schmitt wrote:

                                    >Also, if you're using a Mac, I would suggest throwing the font into
                                    >the system's folder rather than going through ATM.

                                    Actually I've got Sevenet, etc. enabled via ATM. Is the problem showing
                                    in all programs or just certain programs? I know Illustrator squaks when
                                    I try to use Sevenet. It'll display, it just won't rasterize it or
                                    convert it to outlines.

                                    :.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:
                                    Message 17 of 19 , Nov 5, 2000
                                      Just certain programs. I've got several bitmap only fonts (Sevenet,
                                      Silkscreen, Mini) But sevenet is the only one not showing up-- and only in
                                      Adobe products... other apps see it fine.

                                      on 11/4/00 1:19 PM, Nathan Teske at nathan@... wrote:

                                      >> Also, if you're using a Mac, I would suggest throwing the font into
                                      >> the system's folder rather than going through ATM.
                                      >
                                      > Actually I've got Sevenet, etc. enabled via ATM. Is the problem showing
                                      > in all programs or just certain programs? I know Illustrator squaks when
                                      > I try to use Sevenet. It'll display, it just won't rasterize it or
                                      > convert it to outlines.
                                    • Nathan Teske
                                      Message 18 of 19 , Nov 5, 2000
                                        This is bothering me because I have the same setup and am not seeing any
                                        problems at all.

                                        What does "not showing up" mean exactly? Does it show in ATM? The Font
                                        menu? Not display when set in the program?

                                        On 11/5/00 3:07 PM Daniel Thompson wrote:

                                        >Just certain programs. I've got several bitmap only fonts (Sevenet,
                                        >Silkscreen, Mini) But sevenet is the only one not showing up-- and only in
                                        >Adobe products... other apps see it fine.
                                        >

                                        >on 11/4/00 1:19 PM, Nathan Teske at nathan@... wrote:
                                        >
                                        >>> Also, if you're using a Mac, I would suggest throwing the font into
                                        >>> the system's folder rather than going through ATM.
                                        >>
                                        >> Actually I've got Sevenet, etc. enabled via ATM. Is the problem showing
                                        >> in all programs or just certain programs? I know Illustrator squaks when
                                        >> I try to use Sevenet. It'll display, it just won't rasterize it or
                                        >> convert it to outlines.

                                        :.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:
                                        Message 19 of 19 , Nov 6, 2000
                                          Nathan,

                                          I just can't figure it out. It's driving me nutty.

                                          Here's some more info, as any help would be greatly appreciated...

                                          It shows up in ATM. I have it in a set. The little black dot is next to it,
                                          telling me its on.

                                          Say I open Photoshop and get the dialog box for type (I'm still on 5.5) I
                                          pull down the font menu and it isn't listed.

                                          Say I then go and open Freehand. I pull down that font menu and it's right
                                          there.

                                          Doesn't show up in Illustrator... Shows up in Flash... Shows up in Quark,
                                          Shows up in BBEdit-- DOESN'T show up in InDesign.

                                          It's only Adobe products where it doens't show up. I just don't get it...

                                          I could find nothing on the Adobe web site.

                                          I'm thinking of doing Christopher's idea of just dropping it into my font's
                                          folder, but I really don't want to do that...

                                          -daniel