FairTax Resolution- Dems, Reps, Libs.

  • Sam Wright
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 1, 2008
      Just a reminder to get your Resolutions to your committees. The following is intended for you to adapt. If you really want to have fun and make the powers in your party squirm get your resolution to a floor vote. In Ga. our resolution was lost in the mail. I would suggest that you hand carry it and have plenty of copies. At any rate follow you Party Rules to avoid disappointment. I know in Ga. the Republicans have three opportunities to generate a resolution. First at County Convention, second at the District Convention and lastly at the State Convention. Have fun and keep poking them.

      FairTax Resolution

      Endorsing a federal retail sales tax as a complete replacement
      for all forms of income and Social Security taxation.

      1.      Since The FairTax Book went from unavailable to #1 on The New York Times Best Sellers list in nine days (August 2005) and stayed at the top of the list for the rest of the summer, this “poll” makes it clear that tax-concerned, activist voters support a complete replacement of income and payroll taxes with a national retail sales tax; and
      2.      Since the overwhelming majority of all communications received by President Bush’s tax reform panel supported the FairTax; and
      3.      Since the current income tax system requires individual taxpayers to prepare annual tax returns using many complicated forms, where innocent errors will happen and are heavily punished; and
      4.      Since the current income tax system actually punishes marriage and the family, the very foundation of our country’s moral strength, and
      5.      Since our Founding Fathers knew history showed income taxes gave government too much power over citizens, so the Founding Fathers specifically outlawed such taxes in the Constitution; and
      6.      Since a national retail sales is constitutional and would restore the Founding Fathers’ description of ideal tax systems (Federalist 21) and ends income taxes, annual tax filing and the IRS: and since citizens pay sales taxes to sellers of goods and services; the sellers send collected sales taxes to state agencies; and only the state sales tax agency deals with the federal tax collectors; and
      7.      Since a primary question on the ballots of Cobb, Fayette and Gwinnett counties in Georgia in June of 2006 showed that 85% of the voters supported The FairTax;

      We, the ­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­____________ Party of (county or district), (State) urge the State and National Party to adopt the tax reform policy HR 25, sponsored by Representative John Linder of Georgia and primary co-sponsor Representative Dan Boren of Oklahoma, known as “The FairTax Act of 2007” as a meaningful, well researched platform that will be for the good of the American people and our country. We recommend that the platform contain the following wording:
      Federal Tax Reform – Federal tax reform is required and any reform should support free enterprise, economic growth, be simple and fair and support job retention in the United States.  The Internal Revenue Service is unacceptable to the U.S. taxpayers!  The Party urges that the IRS be abolished and the Sixteenth Amendment to the U.S. Constitution be repealed.  We further urge that the personal income tax, inheritance (death) tax, gift tax, capital gains, corporate income tax and payroll taxes be eliminated.  We recommend the implementation of a national retail sales tax, with the provision that a two-thirds majority of the U.S. House and U.S. Senate is required to raise the rate.  Such reforms will encourage investment and economic growth.  Lastly, such a sales tax plan must ensure no one in America pays taxes of any kind on the necessities of life, ensuring opportunity and quality of life for low and fixed income Americans.  We believe every tax at every level should be a separate and clearly visible billing to the taxpayer, regardless of type of tax, and of the calculation method, so we support tax visibility in all forms.

       (Mister/Madam Chairman, I move the adoption of this resolution.)