UNOP Meeting Dates

  • Michelle Kimball
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 2, 2006
      UNIFIED NEW ORLEANS PLAN UPDATE

      The latest news on the Unified New Orleans Plan and your participation.
      New Project Updates:

      The Unified New Orleans Planning process is moving forward quickly. With the
      recent inauguration of the Community Support Organization advisory
      committee, the organizational structure for the planning process is now
      complete. CSO meetings have now been scheduled for the following dates:

      Upcoming Community Meetings:

      October 12 & 26

      November 9 & 30

      December 7 & 21

      January 11 & 25

      CSO meetings will be held on Thursday evenings at City Council chambers from
      5:30 - 7:30 pm on these dates.

      On September 6th, 2006, the Citywide Planning Team held an orientation that
      included more then 30 team professionals in fields like land use planning,
      engineering, hazard mitigation, transportation, housing and economic
      development.

      On September 23, 2006, the Lambert Advisory team presented the results of
      their planning work at the City Council chambers. It is important to note
      that all of the recovery and rebuilding planning work completed to date
      through the Bring New Orleans Back Commission, the Lambert Advisory or
      through independent neighborhood planning processes will be incorporated
      into the final Unified New Orleans Plan.

      On Wednesday Sept 27, 2006, an orientation was held for the District and
      Neighborhood Planning Teams with more then 75 national and local planning,
      architectural, engineering and other professionals in attendance. The
      orientation meeting also included technical presentations by representatives
      from FEMA, the Louisiana Recovery Authority, the Road Home program, Recovery
      School District and New Orleans Public Schools.

      The first District planning meetings will be held on Saturday, October 14,
      2006 at the New Orleans Arena. The district meetings will be divided between
      morning and afternoon sessions. The goal of the meetings will be to work
      with groups of local and displaced stakeholders from each of the planning
      districts where planning has already occured to confirm completed work as
      well as the direction of additional work. Districts will also establish
      future needs and goals in areas where planning work is just getting started.

      Although the primary focus of the Unified New Orleans Plan is at the
      citywide and district planning levels, neighborhood "chapters" will also be
      included in the final report. Each District Planning Team will determine how
      information is gathered for all district planning along with detailed
      support from the neighborhood planning teams.

      The entire UNOP team looks forward to sharing additional information soon,
      and please continue to check our website at www.unifiedneworleansplan.org
      for more news.

      Coming Soon to The UNOP website
      Street Teams
      To assist in helping to spread the word about all upcoming meetings here in
      New Orleans and in the Diaspora, we will enlist you to sign up as part of
      the UNOP street team to help hang flyers and distribute our informative
      newsletters.

      Planning Journals & Your Opinions
      Each Planning District will soon have a Planning Journal that the District
      and Neighborhoods will communicate with on a weekly basis. Deliverables,
      Ideas, Meeting Summaries and Questions will be posted that you can comment
      upon. We will take every step to keep you up-to-date on the planning process
      in each District whether is be the Journal, Meeting Notes archive or video
      and audio. It will all be archived and open to comments by you.

      City Planning Atlas
      Maps, Briefs, Helpful articles and other materials will be added to this
      Atlas to help you become more educated on the various areas of concern in
      the Planning Process. Categories will be Housing, Economic Development,
      Community Services, Historic Preservation, Infrastructure / Public Works,
      Transportation, Environmental, and Hazard Mitigation.

      Ask An Expert
      We have found ourselves in an unprecedented situation. Never before have so
      many talented planners and experts been involved in one comprehensive team.
      We will build and launch soon a means to post all questions and concerns
      through the site and get expert advice from our various planners. An archive
      will grow from here for future use.

      --------------

      Michelle Kimball
      Advocacy Coordinator
      Preservation Resource Center of New Orleans

      923 Tchoupitoulas St. . New Orleans, LA 70130
      mkimball@... . (504) 636-3049 (office) . (504) 636-3073 (fax)

      Join PRC's listserve for updates at
      http://groups.yahoo.com/group/preserveneworleans/?yguid=74201395.

      We need your support now more than ever! To contribute to the PRC, visit our
      website, www.preserveneworleans.org.

      “All development is not created equal. Communities that set low standards
      or no standards will compete to the bottom. If you are afraid to say no to
      anything you will get the worst of everything. On the other hand communities
      that set high standards will compete to the top.”
      - Ed McMahon, Senior Resident Fellow, Urban Land Institute